Private Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
fridayeve said:
At about 3.20pm today the dow decided to move up in quite a jerky fashion and while it was in full flow a small screw popped out of my pc . Is there any connection that anyone knows of?

Rod Hull and Emu

christ this site is always good for a laugh in the afternoon.

if only the markets were this predictable.

come on Socco, this one is on a plate for you :cheesy:

fridayeve said:
At about 3.20pm today the dow decided to move up in quite a jerky fashion and while it was in full flow a small screw popped out of my pc . Is there any connection that anyone knows of?

When it falls to bits can you private message me quick i'm going long to the full extent of my margin.

Yes, I can see that abusive emails and private messages could be very upsetting.

I presume, though obviously I don't know, that the people who indulge in this sort of thing are 'active' participants in the forum that causes them upset. I suspect they might not find their behaviour so satisfying if they were on the outside of a Private Forum 'looking in' but not being known by the particpants to be there at all.

DB makes the point that disputes will simply migrate to another, public thread. However, I don't see that as any more problematic than it is already. I guess if Roberto had joined DB's private forum, their spat would still have occurred.

DB's other point about the unwillingness of some posters to post in public what they're already somewhat shy of posting in private is undoubtedly true. Feeling safe is a problem everywhere in life. Personally, I'm not sure this is an adequate enough justification for the existence of 'closed' private forums; but others, including DB, may feel differently.

On the question of "information beggars", doesn't that include all of us? I mean, what can our purpose possibly be anywhere online if not to glean something we don't already know from those that do, or to disemminate what we do know to others? If I don't know enough about trading to reciprocate on this forum, there are subjects I know a lot more about that I gladly give of my time freely to assist others elsewhere. I find the whole business of sharing knowledge in this way fantastic. In my own area of expertise, I would hate to find myself distinguishing between those I considered worthy of my nuggets of wisdom and those I didn't. Or to limit myself to communication only with my 'peers'. However, I would certainly exclude, assuming I could, as far as possible, "detractors, interruptors and other nuisances".

I used to post a lot on another forum associated with some work I do. I ran into problems with over enthusiasm which resulted in me firing off far more posts than were justified. So I reined myself in by saying I was taking a sabattical. I couldn't believe the number of emails I got from people I had never known existed saying how much they had enjoyed my posts and would I reconsider.

Now, the point of this story isn't to underline how wonderful a fish I am in one of the unlimited number of miniscule ponds the internet has spawned, but to point out that generally speaking readers exist in far more profusion than contributors; and we can have no idea what they are or are not getting out of what we write. I decry 'closed forums' for this reason more than any other.

I am all in favour of iron clad moderation, though. In fact, I think it's a prerequisite, these days.

Dod

dod said:
I presume, though obviously I don't know, that the people who indulge in this sort of thing are 'active' participants in the forum that causes them upset. I suspect they might not find their behaviour so satisfying if they were on the outside of a Private Forum 'looking in' but not being known by the particpants to be there at all.

It doesn't matter. If one can read the posts but not reply to them without joining the forum, the gripe simply migrates.

I don't see [migration] as any more problematic than it is already. I guess if Roberto had joined DB's private forum, their spat would still have occurred.

It isn't problematic unless people are allowed to view the posts. If they aren't, then there's no subject for the complaint, other than the fact of the forum's existence.

In the current case, for example, none of this would have been dredged up again without the stimulus of a new private forum. After that, the usual dog-and-pony show was inevitable.

FWIW, Roberto has never been a member of the PV Forum and has no idea what goes on there. But this does not, of course, stop him from reviving his play.

As for the rest of your post, the information is all here at T2W, public. All one has to do to read it is search my name with "volume" or whatever else the individual is interested in. Or "Mr Charts". If someone who had never posted anything applied to open a private forum, I'm sure that Sharky is smart enough to do what's best for T2W.

dbphoenix said:
As I find yours, Roberto.
That's a bit rich! FAR from being rude about you, I had not even mentioned your name! YOU chose to identify yourself by responding as you did (in post #66 of this thread). So don't try to blame me for that as well, please!

Roberto said:
That's a bit rich! FAR from being rude about you, I had not even mentioned your name! YOU chose to identify yourself by responding as you did (in post #66 of this thread). So don't try to blame me for that as well, please!

Doesn't take much trying. Your rants here are just an extension of the last iteration, which itself was an extension of the iteration before that.

As for "identifying" me,

The doctrine of ostensible authority rears its ugly head yet again. I know that I was far from alone in being both dismayed and disturbed that someone recently banned by another online traders' community was able immediately to appear here in the guise of "moderator" (albeit only of his own sections).

Gee, I wonder whom you could mean since (a) there was -- before Mr Charts -- only one private forum and (b) you went to great lengths in previous roadshow engagements to go on and on about my having been banned from ET and being given a private forum with moderator privileges? Hmmm.

Don't be coy. It's childish.

dod said:
I can see that abusive emails and private messages could be very upsetting.
I'm sure. Please don't imagine that I was suggesting that I have received any absuive emails or PM from DB or anyone else on the site.

dod said:
I guess if Roberto had joined DB's private forum, their spat would still have occurred.
We had no spat. Not even an exchange of views! The "spat" has evidently been saved for now. I carefully didn't name DB in this thread, but he chose to identify himself and insult me. Similar behaviour has seen him banned elsewhere and I hope and trust it will here, also.

dbphoenix said:
Roberto has never been a member of the PV Forum and has no idea what goes on there.
It's neither important nor surprising, but this is simply untrue!

The PV Forum started out as a Member's _Public_ Forum, which was how I managed to post there in the first place. DB's memory of facts "inconvenient" to his point of view seems to be rather selective. What I posted there, obviously enough, was not rude in any way. Even DB himself has not suggested that. He has suggested that it was off-topic, and I have not denied that. He has also accused me (wrongly, but since the words "Sorry, I made a mistake about that" are not in his vocabulary, he won't be admitting this) of failure to report the matter to Sharky at the time. I did, in fact, report it to Sharky and have even quoted a sentence of Sharky's kind reply to me in this thread.

dbphoenix said:
you went to great lengths in previous roadshow engagements to go on and on about my having been banned from ET and being given a private forum with moderator privileges?
I'm by no means the only person to have been dismayed by that (though it seems, sadly, that I may so far be the only one honest enough to say it in public.)

jesus kerrist ,ladies.. :eek:

the sun is shining here. summer is around the corner, and the markets are nice and tradeable at the moment whether trend following or counter-trending.

lets just make hay while the sun shines and let this topic die.

if i had a hammer.....

pratbh said:
Time to close this thread as well, Sharky...

No no, don't close it, just make "feedback" private.
Sheesh, have we learned nothing?
:cheesy:

Roberto said:
It's neither important nor surprising, but this is simply untrue!

The PV Forum started out as a Member's _Public_ Forum, which was how I managed to post there in the first place. DB's memory of facts "inconvenient" to his point of view seems to be rather selective. What I posted there, obviously enough, was not rude in any way. Even DB himself has not suggested that. He has suggested that it was off-topic, and I have not denied that. He has also accused me (wrongly, but since the words "Sorry, I made a mistake about that" are not in his vocabulary, he won't be admitting this) of failure to report the matter to Sharky at the time. I did, in fact, report it to Sharky and have even quoted a sentence of Sharky's kind reply to me in this thread.

Sorry, but no.

R has never been a member of the forum, unless posting to a thread makes you a member of whatever forum the thread appears in. But since public forums don't have "members" (devotees, perhaps), it's a non-issue.

As for rudeness, if R could limit himself to the subject of private forums per se, as Dod has so admirably done, perhaps he could shed some light on the subject rather than apply his usual heat.

i feel like a pub landlord now..

"steady on chaps, we've all had a bit too much to drink, lets just go our seperate ways and reflect on this in the morning"

If it was pub, then I'd be calling time now. As it's just a forum, I'm closing the thread instead. This is a hot debate, and I'd like to thank everyone who offered a reasoned opinion on the subject. There's plenty for us mods to reflect on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.