Removal of T2W Blogs

Sharky

Staff
We'd like to inform everyone our intention to remove the T2W Blogs at the end of the month. This section of the site has been underperforming for some time. The Trading Journals forum already provides a means by which members can maintain a blog.

All public blogs will be converted to forum threads and moved to the trading journals forum. Unfortunately it won't be possible to migrate blog comments; but there appear to be very few comments so we don't see this as being too much of a problem. If you have a private blog then please either make it public if you want it to be migrated (there are no private threads - only private forums.) Or otherwise make a copy of your blogs entries.

We'll be contacting all the active blog owners this week to let them know our intentions.

Just to let everyone know that Weds, 29th July is when we'll migrate the Blogs over to the Journals forum.

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know that Weds, 29th July is when we'll migrate the Blogs over to the Journals forum.

ahh feck, I just started my blog again last night, do you still have the ability to Mod comments within Journals forum that you get with blogs?

belflan

Good question... there isn't at present. But we're considering allowing thread starters to limit who can post on their threads to just (1) friends; and (2) everyone who's not on their ignore list.

Do you think that would be sufficient?

Are there any other reasons why you would consider using the Blogs section over the Journals forum?

All feedback, gratefully received!

Good question... there isn't at present. But we're considering allowing thread starters to limit who can post on their threads to just (1) friends; and (2) everyone who's not on their ignore list.

Do you think that would be sufficient?

Are there any other reasons why you would consider using the Blogs section over the Journals forum?

All feedback, gratefully received!

yeah i think that would be ok (i.e. if you think someone is being a nobend you can put them on your ignore list, therefore they cann't post to your thread no more, is this correct?)

the blog i'm starting will be of value to retail traders, but i need to keep it clean.

the other option would be to move it to TT (with Paul ok), but I'm not sure how well it would sit there.

belflan

Okay we're going to add the ability to place restrictions on posting on all threads in the Journals forum from next week. I think this is the best solution, if we can avoid moving threads to private forums; it's generally a good thing!

Ah good, if you can migrate blogs to the journals forum as I can't be bothered to do it myself!

Okay we're going to add the ability to place restrictions on posting on all threads in the Journals forum from next week. I think this is the best solution, if we can avoid moving threads to private forums; it's generally a good thing!

That sounds good. It makes journal section unique and private.

Just a quick update to let you know we've postponed the blog migration until early next week; when we'll also go live with the unique thread permission feature for the Journals forum. Just doing some last minute beta-testing.

Okay, took a bit longer than we thought - but we're all set now to move all blogs into the Journals forum.

This process will take place in the morning of Mon, 31st of August. All blogs owners should be aware that unless your blog is set to private - ie. not viewable but general forum members, it will be migrated across to the forum. If it's private then it will not be migrated, but after this date you will still be able to request it to be moved over - as the Blogs will no longer be accessible.

On a further note we are launching two new sets of features on Monday:

1. A comprehensive ignore system, so ignored users posts will not show up in latest posts; and their threads will not appear at all.

2. Post permission system in the Journals forum, so that any journal owner can restrict who can post to their forum to just their friends or to everyone except people on their ignore list. This acknowledges the special significance of a journal/blog and merely replicates the existing system in the Blogs. Please note moderators will be keeping a close eye to make sure their is no abuse of this system.

I'm pleased to announce the Blogs have been successfully migrated across from the old Blogs Section (accessible from the top menu bar) to threads in the forums. This make it much easier for members to keep track of new blog posts; and also comprehensively search the archive of blogs using the existing forum search options.

Here is (quite a long!) rundown of the changes:

The Blogs

Every public blog has been converted to a thread. Ever blog post has become a thread post, and any comments have been converted to posts too (note we've incremented each comment by 5 mins after the time of the blog posts to retain the correct order of blog posts and comment posts in the thread). All blog view stats have been transferred over, as well as attachment and blog post formatting like linked in images and smilies.

Trading Journals - Blogs Section (Now moved to the Forums)_1252363766000.png

We've temporarily moved the blogs to a new sub-forum of Journals called 'Blogs Section (Now moved to the forums) here:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/blogs-section-now-moved-forums/

In the next few days we will mass-move all of the blogs to the main Journals forum.

Please note if you're Blog was orginally set to private/hidden, then we have not migrated it to this forum, but to a hidden forum, where only moderators have access. If you decide you want to make it public, then simply private message Nika or any moderator to move it over.

Comprehensive Ignore System

Before if you ignored a user, by for example, clicking on their username and choosing 'Add xxx to your Ignore List':

The Paramouncy Principle_1252357947315.png

Then the only thing that happened was the actual text of their post was replaced with 'This message is hidden because XXXX is on your ignore list.'. Everything else was the same, for example, if they made a post, you would still get notified when you click 'View New Posts'.

The Comprehensive Ignore System allows your users to ignore more than just a users text in their post:

1) Users can ignore entire threads. These threads will then not show up in searches, forumdisplay, and "new posts".

Who's looking to Short GOLD---_1252357819336.png

2) If a user puts someone on their ignored list, they stay ignored, meaning their threads will not show up in forum displays, searches, or "new posts".

T2W Day Trading & Forex Forums_1252362537152.png

3) Users can select to ignore an entire forum, so that they no longer see it, and the search results that are located in those forums do not show up either to the user.

General Forums - General Trading Chat_1252357774140.png

4) Users can review and remove ignores from their UserCP, and can turn on/off these individual ignore options. Note, that by default the ignore options listed above are not active and need to be switched on via your User CP page: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/cis_settings.php

T2W Day Trading & Forex Forums - User Control Panel_1252363665633.png T2W Day Trading & Forex Forums - User Control Panel_1252357715381.png

Thread Privacy System

Replicating the previous system in the Blogs Section, members can now choose to restrict posting to their their journal thread. The default is that all members can post, but there are two additional options now:

- ONLY allow replies from users on my CONTACT list
- Disallow replies from users on my IGNORE list

T2W Day Trading & Forex Forums - Post New Thread_1252364476698.png

Thanks. I bet it was a real PITA converting the blogs to posts. If you'd said that we would have to do it ourselves, I wouldn't bother!

Yeah, it took longer than we thought, especially as we took care not to lose any of the comments on the blog posts and keep them in a logical order so that the thread made sense. Glad to see it's gone smoothly. We'll move the blogs out of their temporary forum and into the journals forum in the next couple of days.

yeah i think that would be ok (i.e. if you think someone is being a nobend you can put them on your ignore list, therefore they cann't post to your thread no more, is this correct?)

the blog i'm starting will be of value to retail traders, but i need to keep it clean.

the other option would be to move it to TT (with Paul ok), but I'm not sure how well it would sit there.

belflan

Yes that's correct belflan.

We've now moved all blogs from their temporary forum into the journals forum, this completes the migration process. I'm pleased to say everything went to plan.