Praying won't help you...

Well Mr Heretic, where does swine flu come from?

Where does Bird flu come from ?

Where does nv Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease come from ?

Ever had D&V after eating shell fish ?

Stay away from the salad bar and you wont get Salmonella/listeria

If you give up breathing you'll never catch a cold and if you never have sex you wont get HPV.

dd

[edit] hmmm?? I've heard some people actually do that ( not breathing + sex I mean )

Last edited:
As a devout atheist I'm actually quite comfortable with the concept of nothingness after death. That's it - it's final you just cease to be.

I have a real problem with the concept of the soul - people seem to think they'll be able to spent time with their relatives, shag virgins whatever... but imagine an elderly gentlemen with late onset of Alzheimer's, if you've ever seen someone at late stages of this disease then there are no lights on. They are unaware of their surroundings and simply sit, do not move and do not respond to external stimulae. Arguably these people still have a soul. So if your soul does not comprise your alertness, conciousness, self-awareness, memory and thinking ability then what is it? Strip away all that is not your soul what do you have left? It can't think, see and is not self aware... It would be the equivalent of that stretch of last night that you were totally unconcious that you can't remember - without the dreaming.

If that's the case then I simply don't see the point. Put my soul in hell for all you want, I won't be aware of anything anyway.

this chimes in with my own views. but it is a fascinating area of thought.

if your parents die at an early age, and you die at an old age, if you meet up in "heaven", will you appear "older" than your parents?
(if your grandfather dies in WW2 at age 20 on D-Day, and you die of old-age at age 70, if you meet your g-father in heaven, will he be a youthful 20 and you a wizened 70??)

I read somewhere that when the Iranian Revolution overthrew the Shah in the late 70s, the Shah had his feet cut off, as the Islamic scholars believed it would prevent the Shah to "walk to heaven" in the afterlife. This implies the final state of the physical body affects your "spiritual body".
But if thats true, suicide bombers would enter the afterlife in a myriad of small pieces, and wouldnt be able to reach/walk to their allocation of virgins.
Weird.
I could be wrong.
Much like my trading.
Ho hum. :whistling

EDIT: you would think, with the exclamations prefixed by "Holy", "Jesus", or suffixed by "Hell" and "God", that traders were of a rather extreme branch of most religions. Much like Jesuits?
The Holy Order of the Candlesticks?

Where does Bird flu come from ?

Where does nv Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease come from ?

Ever had D&V after eating shell fish ?

Stay away from the salad bar and you wont get Salmonella/listeria

If you give up breathing you'll never catch a cold and if you never have sex you wont get HPV.

dd

[edit] hmmm?? I've heard some people actually do that ( not breathing + sex I mean )

You do realise shell fish is also forbidden. A lot of those diseases come from meat/poultry not deemed "fit for eating" according to the guidelines of the religion as they're kept/killed in conditions which are unsatisfactory.

ps. chill :cool:

if your parents die at an early age, and you die at an old age, if you meet up in "heaven", will you appear "older" than your parents?

there was a film with robin williams where he and his kids die in a car crash
they meet up in heaven and his kids appear to him as a black man and an asian woman

Geithner speaks

the USD drops. I may just start trading off of Geithner, Trichet and the other harbingers of doom. Just mentioning their names makes currencies drop. Whoops, there goes the USD again.

Better than faith - the destroyers of currencies are upon us today!

what if two people take opposite sides of a trade, and both pray, which one is it gonna help?

That's easy. It reverses enough for one guy to bail out at break even and then reverses enough for the other guy to bail out at break even. It is the genius that is god. Clearly, you are not a deity or you would be able to fix such minor problems as we do. Believe in me for I am real. Worship before me or you will be smitten.

-God of Typos.

By a few religions and the dietary guidelines they outline.

Some religions practice ritual cannibalism, or at least they did until the 1960's.

In some parts of the world I think the myth is just kept going to keep the tourists interested.

dd

Some religions practice ritual cannibalism, or at least they did until the 1960's.

In some parts of the world I think the myth is just kept going to keep the tourists interested.

dd

You say it as if it's abnormal. It's fairly standard practise or so I thought. :|