Best Thread Potential setups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, yeah, I stopped caring about profits, I have fixed ideas, I'm not in tune with the markets, sellers stopped selling, bulls have won over, it must be higher prices to come...

Let's see where we are trading tomorrow.

:)

At the risk of talking fundamentals... this rally is because of Obama saying he will subsidise homowners mortgages - the taxpayer is going to have to pay it back eventually, it is a short-term measure. It looks nice on a 5m chart but is invisble on the weekly. People are still losing jobs and will continue to do so - unemployment might well reach double digits. The show aint over 'till the fat lady sings.

You can't call a bear market over until the economy shows signs recovery. A rally because things aren't as bad as they were 5 mins ago is not recovering. Sure, there are good profits to be made by taking longs where they are (a good example today: double bottom and Obama makes his release simultaneously). But if your trade is basically "It's a bear market" it's inconsistent to close it until it's all over and done with - something, I fear, is quite a way away.

Yeah, yeah, I stopped caring about profits, I have fixed ideas, I'm not in tune with the markets, sellers stopped selling, bulls have won over, it must be higher prices to come...

Let's see where we are trading tomorrow.

:)

Hey, don't take it personally. It's only missed profits...

(unless you are still holding?)

Hey, don't take it personally. It's only missed profits...

(unless you are still holding?)

LOL mate it's not missed profits until it's realised.

Look, we all trade from experience, right?

That is all we have to go on.

Wtf happens if I close the Dow at the low and bag (oh wow, 300 points profit) and then we retrace sharply - as we have done - I don't get another entry that meets my criteria and then we come off 1,000 points?

I've lost my position.

This has been my experience time and time again.

You lose your core position and you don't get another entry and you risk missing the big move.

This is what I was trying to get across from the quote I posted from Reminiscences.

I see a break of good daily support that hasn't held because it was met by a strong covering rally on the back of news. The daily has now formed a pin bar which is one of my setups to look for longs. So now if we push up firmly tomorrow then perhaps I will start thinking I am wrong in the short term and adjust for that accordingly by - wait for it - taking a long position!

Until then, I'm with Gecko.

Wtf happens if I close the Dow at the low and bag (oh wow, 300 points profit) and then we retrace sharply - as we have done - I don't get another entry that meets my criteria and then we come off 1,000 points?

I've lost my position.

This has been my experience time and time again.

Well done TD for your unwavering mental set up, a manifestation of a successful trader!(y)

Ego competitions...... u gotta luv em.

lol omni...I'm just like...whatever really...all I know is that when I said it was going to break new lows a few days back all I saw people posting was "it's going to be a long time coming" etc etc...then a few days later... we make new lows! I kept telling people at work...look at the YM...no way in hell that support is going to hold...it's funny the sh*t they come out with (it's the YM - no one cares about that...watch the S&P instead it's more representative of the broader economy and it looks stronger... and the Dax double bottomed...)

It really doesn't matter to me whether this is the low or not. It's just another trade. I have no problem sitting with my position but I have a setup in place to close shorts and go long...so what will happen, will happen.

On a bulletin board you can't win either way really...too many different types of traders...if we nail it up tomorrow I'm the biggest ar*ehole on the board for missing such a great opportunity to go long at the lows...and if we make a new low on the YM and I'm right...I could have covered at the low and gone long...closed at the high and gone short...all in an ideal world of course...

Perhaps it's best I stop talking about my positions and just go back to showing what works for anyone that is interested so yep...I'll stick to that from now on.

i dont think anyone is talking about the bear market being over etc, im taking it for what it is, nearly 300 points in an hour. nothing more nothing less

Sure - I'm not suggesting that you are calling the end of the bear market by taking on a long position.

But lets think about the two trades - the long @ double bottom + news, and the "its a bear market" position; If you took the double bottom long, where would you put your stop? Below the low, because that is where you would know what you thought be true wasn't so - we co on about this all the time, about fixed vs. floating stops etc... My view is that you put your stop where you are definately wrong for cheapest.

The same can be said for the "it's a bear market" trade - it only makes sense to put your stop where you are wrong... in this case, @ the end of the bear market. How you might determine this is subjective - maybe off a weekly chart, maybe look for some signs of improvement hidden away in the Employment Situation report, whatever. The point is that it's crazy to get out of a position while you are still right / not yet proven wrong.

On the other hand, I do have sympathy for the "take the profits because they are there" argument too. I don't see why you couldn't adjust your "it's a bear market" trade accordingly, not by reversing, but by cutting your shorts by a little bit - a penny saved is a penny earned, if you like. As long as you kept your o'night possie the same, you could subsidise the macro position with a little management.

EDIT: I got my Bulls and by Bears confused... I little piece of trivia: It's known as a "Bull" market because Bulls attack from below, and push up (just stick your index fingers on your head and pretend, you'll get it) - similarly, a "Bear" market is a Bear because when it attacks it raises up onto its back legs and strikes from above, going down. Totally off topic but there you go.

Last edited:
lol omni...I'm just like...whatever really...all I know is that when I said it was going to break new lows a few days back all I saw people posting was "it's going to be a long time coming" etc etc...then a few days later... we make new lows! .

As far as I can see we haven't made new lows? Yes you were talking about new lows, below 7500. The low of day isn't even close...

It really doesn't matter to me whether this is the low or not. It's just another trade. I have no problem sitting with my position but I have a setup in place to close shorts and go long...so what will happen, will happen.

If it's "just another trade", then why go "ALL IN" unless you were absolutely convinced we were going to break lower? Or do you go ALL IN on each trade?

On a bulletin board you can't win either way really...too many different types of traders...if we nail it up tomorrow I'm the biggest ar*ehole on the board for missing such a great opportunity to go long at the lows...and if we make a new low on the YM and I'm right...I could have covered at the low and gone long...closed at the high and gone short...all in an ideal world of course....

There is no right or wrong, which is what I've been trying to bring across. There is only acting on what you see, instead of acting on what you believe or hope:

Faith vs Reason
Religion vs Science
Opinion vs Evidence

LOL mate it's not missed profits until it's realised..

You had two chances to take about 200 points. And if you closed the first one completely, you could've re-entered. Those opportunities are gone, regardless of what happens tomorrow or how far we drop/rise...

Look, we all trade from experience, right?

Not really, I don't let my previous experiences with other trades influence the way I approach a new trade or position. After all, each position and each trade is unique.

If there's a 1000 point move and you see no way to get aboard, then I humbly suggest you change your criteria...

I see a break of good daily support that hasn't held because it was met by a strong covering rally on the back of news. The daily has now formed a pin bar which is one of my setups to look for longs. So now if we push up firmly tomorrow then perhaps I will start thinking I am wrong in the short term and adjust for that accordingly by - wait for it - taking a long position!

As you know, the news is irrelevant...

As far as I can see we haven't made new lows? Yes you were talking about new lows, below 7500. The low of day isn't even close...

I was talking about breaking the support and making new lows first and then taking out the big lows...

So I was right on the first part and will be, I believe, right on the second too, soon enough.

If it's "just another trade", then why go "ALL IN" unless you were absolutely convinced we were going to break lower? Or do you go ALL IN on each trade?

Dilesh posted a link to one of my previous posts. I try and go all in on every trade. That is how you make big money. Before you suggest this is risky and one should never go all in - read the post :)

There is no right or wrong, which is what I've been trying to bring across. There is only acting on what you see, instead of acting on what you believe or hope:

Faith vs Reason
Religion vs Science
Opinion vs Evidence

But there seems to be a right and wrong in the eyes of other posters on here, FW...as in, I'm "wrong" not to have taken my 200 ticks profit, right? ;)

You had two chances to take about 200 points. And if you closed the first one completely, you could've re-entered. Those opportunities are gone, regardless of what happens tomorrow or how far we drop/rise...

I'm getting a little bored of explaining how I don't like losing my position...I couldn't give a f*ck about 200 points if I am shaken out and miss the bigger move.

Not really, I don't let my previous experiences with other trades influence the way I approach a new trade or position. After all, each position and each trade is unique.

Yes, each position is unique but when I said we trade on experience, I mean that we trade on our experience of what works and what does not.

If there's a 1000 point move and you see no way to get aboard, then I humbly suggest you change your criteria...

I really don't need too mate. Suckers change what works perfectly.

As you know, the news is irrelevant...

Not at my firm, it ain't! :) I know plenty of guys that will move the market on the back of news...but ok, ok, I'm tired of arguing....each to their own.

...Diversification - one of the shiboleths of modern investing, but an overrated one. As Keynes noted, one bet soundly considered is preferable to many poorly understood
Roger Lowenstein..When genius Failed

-----------------------------

The kind of luck in financial markets is of the kind that nobody understands but most operators think they understand

Most successes in life are caused by very few 'windows of opportunity;' failing to grab one can be deadly for one's career. Take your luck.

The habit of mistaking luck for skill is most prevalent in financial markets
NN Taleb...Fooled By Randomness

Keeping my eye on Eur/Gbp approaching resistance at 0.9086 confluence with the 50% fib from last swing high on the daily chart.

Retraced from here 30 jan, 2,3,4 feb. mmm Lets see.

This proved that being patient and waiting for the market to come to your observed level pays off.

Eur/gbp retraced yesterday once again from the sell zone at 0.9070.

I waited too long for confirmation in retrospect and entered on the break of the 0.9000 level.

Closed this morning 105 pips in the bag.

Dont want to be greedy but it looks good for more down to the next support level at 0.8840

Dont want to be greedy but it looks good for more down to the next support level at 0.8840

And the low of the day is 0.8831 so you were pretty much spot on.

Have confidence in your trade and watch the levels carefully. The market will respect them and you can use them to make money time and time again.

Good trade mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.