Potential setups 2

To be honest, I dont know what you guys see at pins, inside bar and stuff. You just need to know where the price is going to stop and move back. It does not matter if it`s a reversal or just a retracement. If you look you find the hot spots pretty easy.

But the only whay of knowing if price is going to break through the pivot level or bounce off is by seeing a pin bar or inside bar etc isn't it? Without those there's no way of telling is there?

"I do 1 lot at 20 ticks already hahaha."

Then you have a few choices:

Don't trade futures until you have more cash available
Spreadbet or trade cash equities
Trade shorter time frames (the market moves in a tighter range the shorter the timeframe)

Can't see why not if certain, bigger locals made squeeze plays and assuming enough volume got put in at these levels from people following the thread. Can see it happening on shorter timeframes - longer ones would obviously be more difficult. There's plenty of people following the thread, whether they are actually trading it is a different matter.

your missing one important thing, almost everyone on this site spread betts lol..how does stopping out a spread better benefit anyone? (apart from maybe the spread betting company itself)

your missing one important thing, almost everyone on this site spread betts lol..how does stopping out a spread better benefit anyone? (apart from maybe the spread betting company itself)

It's hedged in the market...

do you realise how much money is in the market? nearly 3 tril a day in forex, and you think people are out to get a few folk at a fiver a point?

do you realise how much money is in the market? nearly 3 tril a day in forex, and you think people are out to get a few folk at a fiver a point?

I never spoke of FX, I was talking more speculative driven markets like Index futures. And, yes, there are short-term traders who look to out trade other non-professional traders in this way.

I never spoke of FX, I was talking more speculative driven markets like Index futures. And, yes, there are short-term traders who look to out trade other non-professional traders in this way.

George Soros being the most well known! :)

im not saying the boys in the pit dont go stop hunting on a nice quiet afternoon..but readin trade2win to do this? come on...you dont need to read a forum to work out where the non-pros are positioned..half the guys in the pit see most of the order flow anyway and can make extremely well educated guesses to where stops are anyway :)

Maybe they're just trying to get an idea of what region joe publics bids offers are. either that or people who work for the brokers will be creating new "pin-bar-stop-wipe-out" algos that adjust the "commission" spread under certain conditions.

im not saying the boys in the pit dont go stop hunting on a nice quiet afternoon..but readin trade2win to do this? come on...you dont need to read a forum to work out where the non-pros are positioned..half the guys in the pit see most of the order flow anyway and can make extremely well educated guesses to where stops are anyway :)

That's a fair comment but it sounded as though TD had heard something to suggest this was the case. I have never met him and only know him through this board but of all the members here, I have never had any reason to doubt what he says.

It's possible that a few folks at Futex (or other prop shop) are taking opposite positions to him for the short term (he's a longer term trader), a bit like what the Turtle Soup system did against the Turtle system and, therefore, pushing his stops further than usual. Maybe he wants to stop because he's finding he is uncannily being taken out of the market more than usual due to a few squeezers in his office finding out where he is. I don't know, I'm just speculating.

again, he's spreadbetting at relativley small size. There is no benefit to anyone to stop out a spreadbetter.

Not to mention the amount of money it would take to move a spot market, or even a futures market even as thin as the FTSE. Remember a 'real' pin is a v-rejection of a level, it's not worth it to many people to push for stops beyond a pin unless the market goes back there itself, at which point you're probably wrong anyway.

The Turtles system was a long term, trend following method where entries were through breakouts. When enough people started using this method, short-term traders would wait for the break and then push the market back through the turtles stops and profit from this. This worked because a lot of people started trading like the turtles and most of the breaks the turtles traded were false ones - they only had 20% winning trades.

again, he's spreadbetting at relativley small size. There is no benefit to anyone to stop out a spreadbetter.

Not to mention the amount of money it would take to move a spot market, or even a futures market even as thin as the FTSE. Remember a 'real' pin is a v-rejection of a level, it's not worth it to many people to push for stops beyond a pin unless the market goes back there itself, at which point you're probably wrong anyway.

1 spreadbetter there isn't, but a lot of them and there is. The same thing happened when trading first went electronic. All the locals would scalp at the same obvious S/R levels and wear only 2-3 ticks of pain. Paul Rotter (the flipper) realised this and would flip the orderbook though their stops, reversing the trade once they were all out.

With trading, you aren't trading the market - you are trading against everyone else.

Maybe they're just trying to get an idea of what region joe publics bids offers are. either that or people who work for the brokers will be creating new "pin-bar-stop-wipe-out" algos that adjust the "commission" spread under certain conditions.

Why do you think this might be something new? Pin bars are not new, neither are inside bars. There are even algos that know traders sell new lows and buy new highs and are programmed for that.
If you are in the right trade, on a high enough time frame, in a liquid market, then you have momentum on your side and it will only be a wobble.
Just my 2 cents.