"Pin Bar" Alerts

I give up...:rolleyes:

I don't know why there is such confusion here.

MT4 indicator is not the same as an alert

No matter, I now have no further interest in this project.

Last edited:

Well, you've added to it mate. I'm confused now as well. The website is based on an indicator for MT4. We know from observing the site that the indicator running under MT4 does indeed recognise pins - there are a few false positives but the only way to reduce those would involve moving towards substituting the judgement of a computer for that of its operator.

Don't post these days much but had to let you all know that I gave c_V a bad rep for this post (coming on top of #17's equally terse and unpleasant manner) because of what I considered incredibly bad attitude toward a member who had put in some effort to develop something he felt would be useful.

To have it treated so dismissively is bad enough from any member, but from a ‘moderator’ I find it completely unacceptable.

Well, to hammer the point home, if any hammering were needed, on my initial assessment of c_v’s ability in this role, he’s immediately given me a retaliatory bad rep for a post I made weeks ago.

This, is one of our mods…LOL

lurkerlurker

Keep up what you are doing, even if its for your own trading. Send me a PM and I give you a simple method of mine to trade, you can even add a pin bar, to what I call a P3 entry.

Bramble

You're seem a good man. Don't worry by what others do or say, "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult."
-Proverbs 12:16

Do this and you feel great its very powerful tool.

Last edited:
Don't post these days much but had to let you all know that I gave c_V a bad rep for this post (coming on top of #17's equally terse and unpleasant manner) because of what I considered incredibly bad attitude toward a member who had put in some effort to develop something he felt would be useful.

To have it treated so dismissively is bad enough from any member, but from a ‘moderator’ I find it completely unacceptable.

Well, to hammer the point home, if any hammering were needed, on my initial assessment of c_v’s ability in this role, he’s immediately given me a retaliatory bad rep for a post I made weeks ago.

This, is one of our mods…LOL

I am seriously wondering weather The Bramble is fit to be moderated by us.

Yes lets examine the evidence shall we.

Ever since the Three new mods were appointed ,The Bramble, has been on a crusade to make life as difficult as possible which has not gone un-noticed firstly by the mods and admin and secondly by a good number of the members.

Equally, The Bramble appears to think that abusing the mods at every opportunity is also quite in order, the logic being that we will be silent because we are mods.

Additionally, each of the new mods has been bad repped at least once simply because The Bramble does not like the answer he received.
( if ever there was a justification for getting rid of the bad rep function, this has to be reason enough )

The Brambles use of the bad rep function.

CV 01:18, 3rd Nov 2007 BS and you know it.
CV 17:33, 25th Nov 2007 This is a major bad attitude. From another member it would be bad enough, but from a moderator - totally unacceptable.
LM 23:37, 2nd Nov 2007 Unhappy with the pulling of Shortcut to Trading thread and your high-handed treatment thereof.
PT 23:39, 5th Nov 2007 a professional trading resource that promotes mature, intelligent & respectful discussion in a positive & safe environment for everyone - does that include bertie?
PT 23:36, 2nd Nov 2007 Shortcut to trading thread: Has been removed. As Don is not saying who or why. I'm assuming it could be any of you. Not happy with covert mod action.

Now to address the apparent issue with regard to indicators and alerts

I cannot possibly make this any clearer...an indicator in MT4 is not the same as an alert.
An indicator is run on the charts to indicate something, in this case a pinbar.
An alert is sent to alert the user that the indicator has indicated, in this case a pinbar.

I have no issue whatsoever with the work that lurkerlurker is doing ref indicate and alert, indeed I offered to have any pinbar indicator evaluated by a MT4 programming expert and if necessary modified or even re-written with the aim of ensuring the best quality for the members. The quality of an alert signal will only be as good as the quality of the indicator that indicates it.

At no time did I mention alerts. I am not interested in the alert function. The only offer I made was to have any MT4 pinbar indicator evaluated professionally.

Now, can anyone please tell me where the confusion is ? I am not confused about any of this.

Counter Violent -thanks for clarifying - I can't remember did I give you some code to pass to your colleague? I'm pleased to have an expert working with us for this indicator - at the moment the indicator could be improved and the web frontend isn't particularly user friendly.

However, it is functional in its current form. If I receive some improved code, I am happy to add it. Further, over Christmas when I have more time I'll improve the frontend, and hopefully I can publish the URL on T2W in the new year for the use of anyone who may be interested.

Sorry for any confusion - I didn't really see the need for this differentiation between indicator and alert since they are both more or less rolled into the same final package.

Are you going to make public every member’s rep profile or just mine? I’m happy to let them stand as you’ve taken the trouble to breach privacy guidelines in disclosing them. Each one of them represents genuine and honest feedback on my part. That you don’t realise they support rather than weaken my case against inappropriate moderation is the deepest of ironies and proof positive, if any were needed, of my position.

It’s a pity your current access to privileged information is not matched by the concomitant degree of integrity required for such access.

It’s an even greater pity the admin of this site do not have sufficient process in place to prevent selection of mods with insufficient quality of character to do the job.

I’m not targeting ‘the mods’ – just those who are not up to the task and should never have been appointed in the first place. Their abuse of their position is clear to all and a sad development for a site which I value.

I am seriously wondering weather The Bramble is fit to be moderated by us.
As long as I stay within published guidelines.

PT 23:39, 5th Nov 2007 a professional trading resource that promotes mature, intelligent & respectful discussion in a positive & safe environment for everyone - does that include bertie?

Not surprisingly, you missed the irony of this one. I was quoting PT's comment in a post - and this coming from him, the site's primary tormentor of another member and a perfect example of what mature, intelligent & respectful discussion was NOT. And an equally perfect example of hypocrisy.

Thank you

Lurker,

Just wanted to thank for you the pin bar finding tool... Just made a trade on a pin bar it found (the GBPJPY you mentioned on TDs thread just now, although didnt spot your post there until after). I bottled the trade when the price slowed near 22500 so made just 35pips - but thats my biggest ever!

Thanks!

Re: What is a pin-bar

What is a pin bar, and how is it calculated?

Hi Grant,

Im not an expert compared to others on these forums. However, trader_dante started a thread about "Making Money Trading" (http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/26947-making-money-trading.html) where he has been explaining his trading methodology & how he consistently week on week ends up profitable. He uses candlestick charts & particular stick is referred to as a pin bar.

Check out his thread (link above) for more info.

Skynet,

Thank you for the link. 97 pages? I did a search and came up with 'long nose, small body, body in upper/lower 1/3 of the bar'. Well, that's that cleared up.

Grant.

Neil,

Life is too short to be chasing this little entity – it’s abandoned. However, a quick scan of the link you provided shows a broader discussion of bar charts. This is of greater use (it has been ‘bookmarked’). Thank you.

So, if there are any further posters, kill this query.

Grant.

hi,

has the pin-bar alert thingummy been deployed?
seemed to peter out after a while.
I am going to posy my noddy pin-bar indicator somewhere. (I started a thread recently about MT-4 stuff, so will add it there).

Happy New Year.

Pinbar Website

The pinbar website has been discontinued. I hope people found it useful. There is more to trading than pin bars, and I cannot continue to maintain the site. I wish you all a profitable 2008.

Eur/usd 4h

Pin and 50% fib retrace. Potentially a goodun. That said, news on 16th wasn't good.

hi,

has the pin-bar alert thingummy been deployed?
seemed to peter out after a while.
I am going to posy my noddy pin-bar indicator somewhere. (I started a thread recently about MT-4 stuff, so will add it there).

Happy New Year.
Hi I'm new here -
that sounds very helpful ...
could you post a link to the pin-bar detector in your MT4 thread / posting ?

Hi I'm new here -
that sounds very helpful ...
could you post a link to the pin-bar detector in your MT4 thread / posting ?

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/free-systems/27680-mt-4-free-source-code.html

Disclaimer:
1: Use at your own peril.
2: Any trading decisions are entirely your own.
3: The code is free, and you dont have to pay for a better version. :cheesy:

hope it helps. and I wont be fixing any apparent bugs, as it was done for fun and to be helpful to pin-bar players; I dont use it.

good luck.

EDITS: oops! rememebr to rename it PinBar.mq4 when loading it in MT-4.

Last edited: