Picking the RIGHT software

Maybe I have made it a bit too personal. The intention is to offer an invitation and bring it to the notice of software sellers to show off their products and for anyone interested to make a better and informed choice. Surely any software company that has a viable product would leap at this GREAT opportunity to exhibit their wares for free to 120,000 traders.
The sad fact of a 95% failure rate of traders may be in direct proportion to the failure rate of software or is it. Making one's own out of moving averages etc is lets be brutally frank beyond most of us.

Pat494 said:
The sad fact of a 95% failure rate of traders may be in direct proportion to the failure rate of software or is it. Making one's own out of moving averages etc is lets be brutally frank beyond most of us.
Pat494

Although having good tools is helpful, I wouldn't get too uptight about them. In terms of tools probably the most important thing is to get a reliable data feed, because no matter how good the tool if the data it is operating on is not correct then the old adage "rubbish in and rubbish out" will apply. In fact for most traders I think most charting packages and traders' platforms nowadays will be adequate.

I think that the failure rate amongst traders has a lot less to do with the tools they use and far more to do with psychological reasons. Investment in "Trading in the Zone" is likely to improve their trading far more than a few extra bells and whistles on the software.

Charlton

Jack o'Clubs said:
Hi Pat,

From your posts on the various MTPredictor threads, I can see that you've been looking for a software solution for almost a year now! I don't know if you've been trading discretionally in the mean-time, but it seems to me that you've got a variant of the problem that some traders have with pulling the trigger, except this time it's with buying the 'tools' for the job. From the questions and posts you've made about MTP I would suggest the following:

Hi Jack,
I was cogitating as to whether I ought to mention your journal or not but as you are taking an interest I hope you dont mind me mentioning that indeed you have been writing a journal on your new purchase of MTP software and interesting it is. It sort of inspired me to start this thread.
After an initial profit of trading EOD signals ( theoretically ) sadly back to zero again. Interesting whether it is the fault of the programme or the user. That is why I was hoping the company expert would write a journal. If he cant make a profit with his own software then it is obviously not worth buying. The trend filter may make all the difference imho

Last edited:
Pat494 said:
Interesting whether it is the fault of the programme or the user.

:LOL: Mea culpa! I think with MTP the faults come down to 'Elliot Waves not working or the fault of the user' since the software simply scans for Elliot based set-ups and quite a bit of user discretion is required. Since I do think that there is 'something' in Elliot, my conclusion so far is that my recent lack of success is because of i) not using the trend filter; ii) maybe a bit of bad-luck in having a drawdown at this stage; or iii) the fault of the user!! :eek:

A bit more testing should help decide which of the three applies!

Last edited:
Pat494 said:
Please would you consider either:-
1. The preferred method of you writing a journal on Trade2Win or Elite websites using your own software for 2 months.
2. Letting a long standing member of the 2 most prestigious Financial websites on the planet, both having an excess of 60,000 members use your software and with your help keep a daily journal on these sites for 2 months.
thus giving you a HUGE amount of FREE publicity.
However if you feel that this is too much of a challenge etc. for you or your software please e-mail me back and I will publish your letter on the current thread. If I haven't heard from you by this time next week I shall assume you or your software are unable to compete !
Thank you

I think Jack has come to the problem by option 3. And that is for a trader to BUY the software and then generously share the results with anyone who is interested by way of a Journal

Pat.
I am slightly confused by you. My very first post on these boards you greeted with a few slightly condescending remarks, the pick of the bunch being:

Pat494 said:
My advice to a newbie "wanna be wealthy" .......
.......... The next thing you will probably want to know is, where can you find a system to make you loads of dosh in next to no time.
Yet all the posts I have seen from you seem to indicate that you are looking for the Holy Grail of systems and that you seem to be looking for the easy way.

There is none.

I may not be a very good trader at present, but there is certainly one thing I know.

Graft Graft Graft is the only way. Then Graft some more.

I have two great quotes for you.... the obvious

"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration." (Thomas Alva Edison)

and one you may not know...

"Genius is only a greater aptitude for patience." (George-Louis Leclerc)

Good Luck with your quest.

JDR
Yep you are not the only confused person around
By the way should you ever find the SUPER system I would be grateful if you would let ME know
lol

Pat494 said:
JDR
Yep you are not the only confused person around
By the way should you ever find the SUPER system I would be grateful if you would let ME know
lol

If only it existed.

:D

From the fairly luke-warm response I suppose everyone is happy with their software.
This being so - not much point in chasing up the vendors really.
:eek:

Im here to tell you it does exist, the software you require to be fully functional for trading purposes is that which sits within your cranial cavity.

From then you can choose to dress a chart with a couple couple of sqiggles to assist you further or if you are a clever (for clever I Re-defined the word as useful ) bugger you can use a mark one eyball complete with pre installed external to internal energy data conversion stream.

What you are looking for in your quest (and perhaps it may help if you have a smoke or 2 and sit on it ) is this.

How to Identify , Measure and Trade Professional Speculative Intent.

You will not find this written about ,as with all good grails it should be kept buried only visible to keyholders, who cut their own keys to open the door leading to the fountain of what is.

As an attempt to assist tonight at 18.00 through to 18.15 UK time I will engage in thought transferance exercises on the topic mentioned 4 lines up. Please feel free and come to this thread and focus on my image during that time and let us see if indeed thoughts can be transferred.

How to Identify , Measure and Trade Professional Speculative Intent.

You will not find this written about ,as with all good grails it should be kept buried only visible to keyholders, who cut their own keys to open the door leading to the fountain of what is.

Very true. While those whose keys perhaps aren't cut with the required precision - resulting in doors that lead to more of a trickle than a fountain one might say - can always resort to selling their cutting equipment.

Coincidentally the language you have used above would make perfectly wonderful gift-wrapping for such equipment.

The perceived desirabilty of this equipment may be increased not only by gift-wrapping and making it sound terribly exclusive, but also if periodically a vicious campaign is mounted against rival equipment sellers, preferably on a popular community website such as this one.

At least where the immediate locality of the campaign is concerned, it is ideal if one temporarily pretends not to have any equipment for sale at all. This allows one to preserve the moral high ground and increases the perceived authenticity of the campaign's manifesto. Clever, though hypocritical.

Adieu Senor, I hope you enjoyed your brief revisit.

Last edited:
Brothers Soul said:
As an attempt to assist tonight at 18.00 through to 18.15 UK time I will engage in thought transferance exercises on the topic mentioned 4 lines up. Please feel free and come to this thread and focus on my image during that time and let us see if indeed thoughts can be transferred.

I did and all I got was a purple haze....

Do it yourself

Pat494 said:
All too often people are completely flummoxed ( me included ) by the plethora of software on offer. All the hype doesn't help much either.
Can one trust the comments made by others or maybe its the vendor secretly ramping his own product ?
How does one find a way through the maze without buying and then dumping if no good ?

I tried trading a system I didn't develop but I eventually abandoned it. However it tought me a great deal about discipline and I am now in the process of developing my own system. My advice would be to obtain historical data for the instrument you wish to trade, study it well and develop your own system.

Here is some advice that I stole from another website.

Want to trade successfully? Just choose the good positions and avoid the bad ones. Poor trade selection takes a heavy toll as it bleeds your confidence and wallet. You face many crossroads during each market day. Without a system of discipline for your decision-making, impulse and emotion will undermine skills as you chase the wrong stocks at the worst times.

Many short-term players view trading as a form of gambling. Without planning or discipline, they throw money at the market. The occasional big score reinforces this easy money attitude but sets them up for ultimate failure. Without defensive rules, insiders easily feed off these losers and send them off to other hobbies.

Technical Analysis teaches traders to execute positions based on numbers, time and volume.This discipline forces traders to distance themselves from reckless gambling behavior. Through detached execution and solid risk management, short-term trading finally "works".
Markets echo similar patterns over and over again. The science of trend allows you to build systematic rules to play these repeating formations and avoid the chase:

1. Forget the news, remember the chart. You're not smart enough to know how news will affect price. The chart already knows the news is coming.
2. Buy the first pullback from a new high. Sell the first pullback from a new low. There's always a crowd that missed the first boat.
3. Buy at support, sell at resistance. Everyone sees the same thing and they're all just waiting to jump in the pool.
4. Short rallies not selloffs. When markets drop, shorts finally turn a profit and get ready to cover.
5. Don't buy up into a major moving average or sell down into one. See #3.
6. Don't chase momentum if you can't find the exit. Assume the market will reverse the minute you get in. If it's a long way to the door, you're in big trouble.
7. Exhaustion gaps get filled. Breakaway and continuation gaps don't. The old traders' wisdom is a lie. Trade in the direction of gap support whenever you can.
8. Trends test the point of last support/resistance. Enter here even if it hurts.
9. Trade with the TICK not against it. Don't be a hero. Go with the money flow.
10. If you have to look, it isn't there. Forget your college degree and trust your instincts.
11. Sell the second high, buy the second low. After sharp pullbacks, the first test of any high or low always runs into resistance. Look for the break on the third or fourth try.
12. The trend is your friend in the last hour. As volume cranks up at 3:00pm don't expect anyone to change the channel.
13. Avoid the open. They see YOU coming sucker
14. 1-2-3-Drop-Up. Look for downtrends to reverse after a top, two lower highs and a double bottom.
15. Bulls live above the 200 day, bears live below. Sellers eat up rallies below this key moving average line and buyers to come to the rescue above it.
16. Price has memory. What did price do the last time it hit a certain level? Chances are it will do it again.
17. Big volume kills moves. Climax blow-offs take both buyers and sellers out of the market and lead to sideways action.
18. Trends never turn on a dime. Reversals build slowly. The first sharp dip always finds buyers and the first sharp rise always finds sellers.
19. Bottoms take longer to form than tops. Fear acts more quickly than greed and causes stocks to drop from their own weight.
20. Beat the crowd in and out the door. You have to take their money before they take yours, period.