Opportunities in present slump

Has anyone tried making money from property using Spread Betting to bet on, e.g., the Nationwide Housing Index? (IG offer this, or something similar, or at least used to
).

It had a long uptrend (of course) which went into reverse after the bubble burst, and of course has been heading steadily south ever since. In theory, it should be a perfect opportunity to get something out of the slump.

However, when I last looked closely at it (which is some time ago...can't remember when exactly), the numbers just didn't look suitable for making much money, as far as I could see. I got diverted into more exciting things (like FX), and never went back to it. I often wonder if it was a missed opportunity though.

Has anyone ever looked seriously at it, and more importantly, made any money out of it?

I'm buying up shares in the crystal ball manufacturing and also the time machine construction industries. I have a feeling there will be a big demand in both areas.

If you look at my signature, you will see that I am doing my best to drum up business for you in the former sector. (I'll settle for 20% of the action ... :p ).