Norwegians convicted for outwitting trading system - OVERTURNED

Not really he just took advantage of the SBs pricing mechanism. If he was trading in big enough size (30k a week lol) then they may not of been able to hedge their own exposure without influencing price further and it may have had undesirable effects.

Is short squeeze illegal in UK?

This is an old one, albeit it's usually the other side working it.

There's a story in Reminiscences of a Stock Operator about how the old bucket shops would have dealers run the prices up or down a few cents on the exchange when their clients were heavily into some hot stock or other. Typically it would be something small with not much liquidity, but that a lot of punters were betting on (probably on the strength of tip by someone working for the bucketeer :LOL:).

Most traded on a shoe string with tight stops. So the dealers washing the price a few cents would be enough of a spike to close down the punters when the next price came through on the ticker, at minimal cost in the real market and for a massive profit in the shop.

Apparently the floor traders would see this activity and comment that "the laundry is active today" :LOL:.

Re: Norwegians convicted for outwitting trading system - overturned

This is the guy, IIRC he was fined over a million sterling for exploiting someone elses stupidity !

Scots trader fined £1m after betting on London Stock Exchange - The Daily Record

To fine someone for thinking doesnt quite seem right.

Does seem odd. He was simply a private retail trader wasn't he? He wasn't abusing a position of privilege? Am I right in thinking this "fine" was from the FSA? It wasn't a court case? I'm not sure what status that has in law (although I'm sure if he refused to pay then he'd probably hear from Inspector Knacker). Without knowing more, I must say my immediate reaction is 'well done that man'.