No Rules - High Risk Capital Building from £3k

But we all know this is about gambling for a giggle.

Each to their own...but it still means that you're enjoying or getting some excitement from gambling with a trading account....and if thats kept alive, then theres always a risk that it will seep back into "normal" trading....maybe some can keep the two entirely separate but from my point of view the whole objective is to remove this risk ...

Like your style.. best of luck with it.! I tried something similar a couple of years back.. I had a reasonably good strategy that was proving consistent but the wild gambler in me was a bit bored so i split my account and used some of it just for punting..I lost my punting money pretty quickly! I found it hard to punt and trade sensibly at the same time..it messed with my head and it did not work for me.. i took up backgammon instead!.. 50% luck 50% strategy (just like trading!).. http://www.gammonempire.com

This is one of the worries I have - that it may mess with my head and screw up my trading. My bigger worry though is that I will have a lot of spare time and so could end up screwing my main account whilst waiting for trades.

I was considering was just putting the money into online poker, used to play it a lot for small stakes as a student and made pocket money. Bit rusty with that though and think it may be difficult to focus on two skills.

Maybe you are right and that I haven't conquered all my demons - but I'm not sure that is possible. What is important is to recognise your faults and find ways to manage them. Maybe this is a way of doing that.BUT - It's also a way to hone my tape reading skills.

Sorry if the thread sounds a bit big headed - but thought a thread about trading the 'wrong way', by someone who isn't completely new to the game may interest some people. Happy to have it moved to journals is more relevant.

I admit there is a pretty good chance I will blow up this time around, but a little luck and who knows. Feel free to laugh and point out the errors if and when I do - as I say it may be of some use.

Even if I do post live trades, then I don't recommend anyone follows them. I certainly have nothing to teach or sell - and don't want the pressure of people relying on my calls or thinking I can help them if I do get some luck. It's not a serious trading strategy, but it is more than a bit of fun. The goal is to make some serious cash after all.

episteme - get right on with it, and good luck to you. You have already set out that you have other ources of income at lower risk, and that the mony set aside for use as per this thread is expendable. If there is only a 51% chance of making only a 100% profit, you should go ahead. Just don't let your savings get sucked in.

I may sound it but I'm not that dumb - actually my partner has our real money in her name tucked well away from me!

Each to their own...but it still means that you're enjoying or getting some excitement from gambling with a trading account....and if thats kept alive, then theres always a risk that it will seep back into "normal" trading....maybe some can keep the two entirely separate but from my point of view the whole objective is to remove this risk ...

I think you've missed the point, still. We all agree with you. This guy is just willing to risk it all for a laugh. It's not about discussing whether he's gambling or trading. We all know he is gambling. He knows he is gambling. We all know the correct mindset and trading rules. He knows it, too. See?

I think you've missed the point, still. We all agree with you. This guy is just willing to risk it all for a laugh. It's not about discussing whether he's gambling or trading. We all know he is gambling. He knows he is gambling. We all know the correct mindset and trading rules. He knows it, too. See?

Well if you read my post you would see that I am not arguing whether he is gambling or not, or whether he knows he is gambling or not, or whether everyone else knows he is gambling or not ......

The point I am making is that in my view it is a risky venture to gamble notwitstanding that its a small account or that he knows that he is gamblng, but because the most difficult aspect of trading is to control emotions, to remove the urge to gamble , so that if you continue to allow youself to gamble, albeit is a small / controlled manner you have not conquered that demon....(maybe some can do this)

Its like giving up smoking while using nicotine patches...or an alcoholic giving up drink while allowing himself a little tipple every once in a while....

Well if you read my post you would see that I am not arguing whether he is gambling or not, or whether he knows he is gambling or not, or whether everyone else knows he is gambling or not ......

The point I am making is that in my view it is a risky venture to gamble notwitstanding that its a small account or that he knows that he is gamblng, but because the most difficult aspect of trading is to control emotions, to remove the urge to gamble , so that if you continue to allow youself to gamble, albeit is a small / controlled manner you have not conquered that demon....(maybe some can do this)

Its like giving up smoking while using nicotine patches...or an alcoholic giving up drink while allowing himself a little tipple every once in a while....

I actually agree - my one worry is that it does mess with my head. It's not going to at this level - but if I do make some money and am forced to gamble larger and larger amounts then it could become a problem. I will cross that bridge when I come to it though - as there is some distance until we get there.

We agree. :D

This thread has been beneficial already! Been thinking about the above and my motivation for doing it. If this goes down the pan then I am going to learn to play chess in my spare time - not back to poker. I think that chess would be a good complement to trading in many ways and would be an outlet for the competitive element of my pyshce.

But lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:
I do know that Bitterness isn't a very productive mindset to have when trading. Is that correct ?

This thread has been beneficial already! Been thinking about the above and my motivation for doing it. If this goes down the pan then I am going to learn to play chess in my spare time - not back to poker. I think that chess would be a good complement to trading in many ways and would be an outlet for the competitive element of my pyshce.

But lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Chess is THE game bhy which to learn about life, not just trading. Just as Sun Tzu wrote THE book to read about life, not just about war. If you keep your 'normal' trading and this trading separate you have nothing to lose except what you can afford. Freed from the pressure of making no losses, you might gain a great deal more per £ than your normal trading would allow. The risk:reward is therefore very positive. Get on with it my friend.

I do know that Bitterness isn't a very productive mindset to have when trading. Is that correct ?

Hi Episteme,

This looks to be a good thread as you've mentioned its high risk but are
you following some trading plan. You dont come across as the type to buy
or sell as you have a hunch or a funny feeling. What market or markets
are you trading and what timeframes.

Ged

This post is very meaningful to me. I have not conquered that demon and doubt that I ever will. Not only this, but my personal experience is that, unlike episteme, I am not taking risks with money I can afford to lose but with money I care about, and maybe that's why I lose and he wins.

All trading means taking risks. Yet if you risk too much (such as trading without a stoploss), you suddenly find yourself "gambling", which you didn't plan at the start. There's a very thin line between trading and gambling, because it's not just a matter of stoploss, but also of choosing your entries. If you don't have a stoploss, you certainly are gambling. Other times, you may have a stoploss, but if you trade impatiently you could still be gambling and you will still blow out your account (despite using a stoploss).

Sometimes you think you were trading but you were gambling and made money. Other times you think you were gambling because you lost money, but in fact you were trading correctly (with good risk and money management). In either case, pretty soon I revert to gambling and lose everything. I would not say that episteme is gambling, because his past (long term) gains show that he knows what he's doing. You can't win that often and that consistently and still call your trading "gambling". Not all losses are caused by gambling, but no long term gains can come from it, as in his case. I've been gambling (compulsive trading) for over 10 years, and I've never had one profitable month.

The only guarantee to avoid gambling, for me, was automated trading. If I do automated, I am safe from it, unless of course I interfere. Yet even if you don't interfere, if you push your risk too much, you could increase your risk of financial ruin from 1% to 100% within the next year. For example, right now I am about to start again (after blowing out several times), and I will have to take big risks. Yet I wouldn't say that I will be gambling. Gambling to me means picking the wrong entries (being impatient), picking the wrong exits (being impatient with profit, and patient with losses). With automated trading I am only pushing my money management but at least everything else is done correctly. Here's what I will do. I have almost 8 months of forward testing and I know that if I come across the worst possible drawdown, which happened for one week of the past 8 months, I will lose over 50% of my capital. That would be close to blowing out. Yet I will still go for it, because out of 34 weeks, only one week was that bad. I have one chance in 34 of blowing out. If I get lucky and that doesn't happen for 4 weeks (one chance out of ten that it will happen), then the risk of blowing out is pretty much gone for good, because I'd be able to withstand the drawdown, if it comes after one month.

So I would say that I am taking a risk, like all traders. And in this case, I am deciding to take a bigger risk than I would like to. But merely taking a risk doesn't make you a gambler. Gambling means taking unnecessary risks out of compulsion, more or less. Gambling means engaging in betting behaviours that will likely make you lose money. If you're doing something that will likely increase your money, then you're not gambling. So, since episteme, has made a lot of money with this type of trading in the past, I don't think we could say, in the above sense, that he's gambling.

Last edited:
Catching falling daggers

I'm long USDCAD @ £25pp from 1.0172.

Not a perfect entry but I don't have much time.

It has flattened out on the 1HR and pulled back towards the lows of that range. My target should probably be the 4HR 50MA but I may get out early say the 1HR 50MA. I should probably also have a tight stop, but I'm going to give it some room.

Only problem I have is that given my schedule ate work today I will only really get a chance to monitor this trade at lunchtime and then maybe a bit later in the afternoon.

In answer to a question - I only trade Forex.

It's heading up already and I just put a limit in at 1.0192 - which would be £500.

Last edited:
From phone - target hit. Happy with that - using the profit to fund a short usd/gbp @0.9105 £10pp.

That was a bit of luck getting a timeout! Clodes the EUR/GBP the £580 was a bit too tempting. So I've earned more today gambling than working - profit £1080. Account Balance now £6k.

I think that's me done for today, I may enjoy my evening for a change.

OK - I wasn't going to trade this evening - but as I was sat here doing nothing I thought I'd haver a quick punt.

Long EUR/JPY @ 123.51 £20pp.

Not looking for a lot - probably only about 10 pips.