No brainer trade journal

it's times like this I look back at tuesday's daily candle and think all I had to do was set the SL at the back of the pin and leave it (this is a valid strategy) however when meaningful money is on the line I just cant watch a nice profit turn into a loss even though I know the trade will probably work out. so this is why a lot of trades are scratched for b/e (or +1 pip)

it's times like this I look back at tuesday's daily candle and think all I had to do was set the SL at the back of the pin and leave it (this is a valid strategy) however when meaningful money is on the line I just cant watch a nice profit turn into a loss even though I know the trade will probably work out. so this is why a lot of trades are scratched for b/e (or +1 pip)

Yes, meaingful money talks realism. :D
Using daily bars to calculate stops represents a lot of points when money is on the line

It's frustrating but I think you did the right thing. If I had taken that trade and not moved my stop to b/e and then price had continued pulling back and possibly stopped me out for a loss, I would be extremely annoyed with myself.

I've read a lot of the james16 free stuff and I really like this method. I think they often say that there is nothing wrong with a b/e trade, it should go in the winners column. Sooner or later, you will take a pinbar that will give you windfall profits which will make all the losers and b/e trades worthwhile.

I hear it,, time and time again, on this site. How is it that the poster sees a good profit, only to get it taken away from him when the market reverses? B/E stops make sense.

current chart of M5. I have never looked into Elliot waves or Wolf waves but I am sure some smart bod can see a pattern in this.

Attachments

• gold2.gif
    gold2.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 142
It's frustrating but I think you did the right thing. If I had taken that trade and not moved my stop to b/e and then price had continued pulling back and possibly stopped me out for a loss, I would be extremely annoyed with myself.

I've read a lot of the james16 free stuff and I really like this method. I think they often say that there is nothing wrong with a b/e trade, it should go in the winners column. Sooner or later, you will take a pinbar that will give you windfall profits which will make all the losers and b/e trades worthwhile.

yeah that's my take on it Mazdaq I concur. James16 does say he puts b.e's in the winning column. I have heard other traders say this is 8ollox as some risk is taken at outset even if closed b/e. My take on it is how you class your b/e's has to fit with the context of your trading plan. So if you trading plan aims for occasional very large winners and occasional small losers with a bunch of break evens then personally I count b/e' s as winners as they are per plan. I have found to my cost in the past that trading is often about what you don't lose as much as about what you win. If you cant accept b/e's and small losers accounts can get damaged.

stop moved to b/e too much volatility around hopefully we can make a clean break soon.

update - took +4 pips off the table could see we were making a triple top with bearish price action so likely price would come back for a scratch best take this little profit now. sod's law it take off now while I am out.

I am interested in entering again if price breaks today's high of $1767 and then retests.

Last edited:
current chart of M5. I have never looked into Elliot waves or Wolf waves but I am sure some smart bod can see a pattern in this.

The PIN at the top before the last down swing is often a clue to get out or set up for a short.

In my opinion the gold trade using that system is gone. What reasons are you trying to get back in long?

The PIN at the top before the last down swing is often a clue to get out or set up for a short.

agreed Neil. Trying to catch a breakout on this with a tight stop has ended up turning into a 5m scalp!

In my opinion the gold trade using that system is gone. What reasons are you trying to get back in long?

not in my book, Gold is screaming for a breakout high here if price confirms above $1767. there is clear open space above to $1800 & $1900.

I am looking at gold because you have, all, got me curious. If I was long on it I would not sell. yet, because it is still above a trend line I've put under the lows. Mind you, it could go any time, but it hasn't, yet.

It's broken now, although not by much and that's a double top. I'll leave you to it!

MD, I have an off-topic Q if you don't mind: what parts of that J16 thread should I be looking at if I wanted a general overview of his method? The thread is so large that even with J16's and other's rounding-up of posts, it's hard to piece it all together. Much appreciated!

As for gold, another forum I go to expects it to keep running up because the fundamentals haven't changed yet (ie. the economy will suck for the foreseeable future and there's nothing that invalidates the run-up). Western economies are in a pickle that won't be resolved for a while.

MD, I have an off-topic Q if you don't mind: what parts of that J16 thread should I be looking at if I wanted a general overview of his method? The thread is so large that even with J16's and other's rounding-up of posts, it's hard to piece it all together. Much appreciated!

As for gold, another forum I go to expects it to keep running up because the fundamentals haven't changed yet (ie. the economy will suck for the foreseeable future and there's nothing that invalidates the run-up). Western economies are in a pickle that won't be resolved for a while.

On the very first page, some way down, is a whole list of links to important summaries relating to J16 :

james16 Chart Thread @ Forex Factory

close out -3 pips loss. netted a few pips from the trade overall but going to stand aside for now. Waiting for the next opportunity on the daily bars.

On the very first page, some way down, is a whole list of links to important summaries relating to J16 :

james16 Chart Thread @ Forex Factory

Yeah, I have read a couple posts from the list, but I'm looking for something more organized.

... Unless that's it, lol. I don't mind reading everything since I probably will eventually, I'm just trying to find a place to start in there.

Yeah, I have read a couple posts from the list, but I'm looking for something more organized.

... Unless that's it, lol. I don't mind reading everything since I probably will eventually, I'm just trying to find a place to start in there.

so basically you are lazy and are looking for a shortcut!:LOL:

Umm... no. The thread is 6000 posts long and all the info is scattered all over. I just don't want to start reading and find out I could have saved time in some fashion. As far as I can see there is no one post that summarizes the "James16 method", which is what I'd like to confirm. It would be a good place to start so I can understand what comes after.