networking/firewall issue

bbmac

Veteren member
I have 3 laptops networked together via a hub, with the internet connection connection coming into one and the other 2 sharing the connection via the hub and a network bridge/gateway.

My trouble is that i cannot get the 2 'guest' laptops to get the internet feed when i have the zonelabs firewall running on all 3,

Even when i just have it running on the host computer , the other 2 cant get the feed.

all 3 run windows xp home, any suggestions greatly appreciated,

thanks

bbmac

Chartman is right, routers are so cheap nowdays it is the best way to do it. I also had a lot of issues in the past with Zonealarm when attempting to network a number of PCs. I seem to remember that I had to specify the computer names in each copy of Zonealarm to allow access. Either way it was not easy to do but if you have the one PC accessing the internet with Zonealarm on then you could turn off Zonealarm on the other two as it should not be needed.

Paul

Won't zonealarm block the ip address of the other PC's unless you enable them from within zonealarm? That's how Norton works, and is the basis of a firewall- IP blocking......

Stew, Also check in ' control panel' -' network connections' if you are running XP, that XP's own firewall is not activated. It switches itself on by default when setting up a network. I have firsthand experience of this conflicting with zonealarm, so well worth checking for the sake of a couple of minutes,
All the best,
hampy