Technical Problem - help / ideas urgently wanted

yacarob1 said:
Excessive overnight p2p downloading.

Fits my 18 year old perfectly.

If your router supports QoS (Quality of Service) then you should be able to throttle down his torrent/kazaa/whatever traffic via ports he's using.

You'll probably need to look at his applications to find out what he's running and what ports they are using - also it's worth throttling up any ports you are using for your trading applications by giving them highest priority.

roguetrader said:
May be worth asking your ISP, though I don't think that should be the problem, if what I've read of it so far is true. The figures I have seen quoted were for a 20K/sec restriction to these ports, I would have thought that would be plenty, I could be wrong, but apart from the odd burst perhaps around FOMC release, I wouldn't have thought you'd need much more than half of that. If they were however simply disrupting the connection on these ports causing a re-logon, assuming that is possible, that would fit.

Depends how robust the application platform is. Packets can be dropped on busy congested networks but whether your system continues to operate or authentication/negotiation takes place again is difficult to guess. It would depend if packets are unencrypted packets and whether secure/unsecure sessions are established.

Why not just get your son to start downloading/enable his P2P network on his desktop as before whilst you operate.

Don't forget with P2P your sons desktop can act as a server and equally be used to access by other people and so used as a server for downloading files from it all depends on 1001 different variables.

If it works I wouldn't bother trouble shooting it further though.

Hoggums said:
If your router supports QoS (Quality of Service) then you should be able to throttle down his torrent/kazaa/whatever traffic via ports he's using.

You'll probably need to look at his applications to find out what he's running and what ports they are using - also it's worth throttling up any ports you are using for your trading applications by giving them highest priority.

For QoS to be of use it has to be enabled all along the route. Your system, ISP plus your trading system provider. The people to understand QoS, identify the application service ports and then to apply it to the WAN along the route is like whilst trying to persuade someone not to commit suicide you take your life instead. :LOL:

I had something similar to this with video conferencing and boy it went on for weeks. Best to cut your losses and do something else like mow the grass. You'll live longer. :LOL:

This thread is getting heavy but very interesting. I think I have over extended my self so over and out. :eek: