my journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Travis
before I go ice skating I d like to understand the diffrence between the backward and the forward, thus recollection and repetition, please.
Recollection is characterized as the melancholic feelings we have associated with the past that we know cannot be repeated and that often immobilize us; whilst repetition is the act and will to live forward. In recollection we place ourselves at the tragic end and we have no hope or desire. Hope and desire for novelty is merely restlessness between past and present. But repetition is profoundly and courageously living in the present.

Happy New Year?

Re: Real Business Trading

Making Money from Stock Market – Tips for Beginners

Making money from stock markets requires trading in the stock market. Prudent buying, holding and selling of stocks generate profits and money. Stock trading is the function that interacts and organizes in the stock market.

For Better Queries Please See our

http://biznesssite.com

This market involves buying and selling of millions of shares all over the world, and generates profit. A share of this profit comes to the successful trader in the stock market. That is how s/he makes money from the stock market.

It is a mystery how this large a volume and value of trade is accommodated in the system of trading. These financial markets are marvels of technological capacity.
As a beginner, you must understand essentially how the market works. You don’t have to know all of the technicalities of buying and selling stocks.

The first and foremost you need to know is the functioning of the exchange floor, irrespective of whether you trade through the floor or electronically.

When the market opens, hundreds of people are seen fast moving about shouting and gesticulating to one another, staring at monitors, and entering data into terminals, or busy on cell-phones on the exchange floor. It looks like a complete fiasco.

However, by the time the end of the day approaches, the market has worked out all the trades, and is all set for the next day.

These are the steps in a simple trade on the exchange floor of any major Stock Exchange:
You instruct your broker to buy a number of shares of a company at the current market price.

The broker’s order department passes the order on to their floor clerk, the dealing official, in the exchange.

From this person it goes to one of the firm’s floor traders whose task it is to find another floor trader wanting to sell that number of shares of the company you wanted. Each floor trader has particular knowledge of which floor traders deal in what stocks.

The two come together on a price and seal the deal. The notification process moves backward along the line and your broker gets back to you with the final price. You receive the confirmation notice in the mail after a few days.

For the individual investor, you frequently can get almost instant confirmations on your trades, if that is important to you. It also facilitates further control of online investing by putting you one step closer to the market.

Beginners should avoid complicating things trying to get rich in a day by venturing into every nook and cranny without knowing a thing or two about them. There are many types of trading like day trading, swing trading, futures and so on. Instead of trying to do a little bit of everything, it is profitable to concentrate on a single type that is simple to understand for you.
To begin with, you need a broker to handle your trades – individuals don’t have access to the electronic markets. Your broker accesses the exchange network and the system finds a buyer or seller depending on your order. Choose the right broker rationally. This is a crucial point of money making from stocks.

You then need to anticipate the behavior of prices of stocks. Price is the immediate cost of a share and potential source of profits. And this price behavior is so dicey that it keeps everybody in the game quite excited. This is what generates the profits or losses that are made by investing in this market.

Don’t worry if you find it very difficult to infer the price, because it really is difficult. It is frequently seen to be irregularly moving all along the day. Yet there are patterns to be figured out and expectations work quite often.

Depend on your comprehension and your broker, who must be a professional. Never bypass understanding fully the cause(s) behind a bad result when it occurs. Learn from your experiences, document them, and keep reading them once in a while.

This is the part I liked best:
Instead of trying to do a little bit of everything, it is profitable to concentrate on a single type that is simple to understand for you.

Hi Travis
before I go ice skating I d like to understand the diffrence between the backward and the forward, thus recollection and repetition, please.
Recollection is characterized as the melancholic feelings we have associated with the past that we know cannot be repeated and that often immobilize us; whilst repetition is the act and will to live forward. In recollection we place ourselves at the tragic end and we have no hope or desire. Hope and desire for novelty is merely restlessness between past and present. But repetition is profoundly and courageously living in the present.

Happy New Year?

Yeah, thanks. I think i understood most of it, but somehow I found the term "repetition" (which is supposed to indicate forward, if I understood correctly) to be misleading and equivocal, because it reminds me of different things with different characteristics, such as repeating the past rather than being free to do something new. The whole thing is probably from a book right? You didn't create these terms, I suppose (unless you wrote the book). So maybe I didn't understand very much of it, because I don't understand the terms you use. Let's say I have a vague idea of what you are saying. At least I tried. Happy new year to you as well.

I didn't understand much, but there's more information about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetition_(Kierkegaard)

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks. I think i understood most of it, but somehow I found the term "repetition" (which is supposed to indicate forward, if I understood correctly) to be misleading and equivocal, because it reminds me of different things with different characteristics, such as repeating the past rather than being free to do something new. The whole thing is probably from a book right? You didn't create these terms, I suppose (unless you wrote the book). So maybe I didn't understand very much of it, because I don't understand the terms you use. Let's say I have a vague idea of what you are saying. At least I tried. Happy new year to you as well.

Because so much of life depends on random, accidental happenings, past events cannot be precisely recreated. But the desire to repeat the past necessarily creates different experiences. The dynamic of our relationship with this backward and forward nature of experience are central themes.

yep, it was from the Kierkegaard, whom I have been studying for the past 2 hours and apply to trading, lol
out of boredoom, which is of corse is the root of all evil - the despairing refusal to be oneself. lol

Last edited:
I see you liked trading in the zone, as it's on your profile. What did you like about it?

I see you liked trading in the zone, as it's on your profile. What did you like about it?

I the most like the part of discharging preconceptions and beliefs about things in our subcouncious level, which we are not aware of but are imprinted in our memories and stay in a way of becoming succesfull.
I connect the Popper`s inductive learning - questionning the thruth, which Douglas` opening ourselves to learn more, with Soros` narrtive fallacy and reflexivity problem, when we so certain about the fact, that we block the new information, stopping the learning process, and therefore immersive learning (concept of Brett S. ) This might act as a resource or obstacle to self expression in the future.

Last edited:
All right. Back.

Somehow I have been getting quite bothered lately by these well-meaning people who come here and tell me with violent manners that I am doing something wrong, that I have to... "!!!!" and "????". It really bothers me, but of course it's part of the journal since I open up, show my problems and so obviously people will offer to help, everyone according to their habits. Some people will offer some kind of help, which I like, and others will offer some advice which I don't like and which sounds more or less like someone saying "you idiot" to me.

I mean, it also sounds useless. There's people telling me to read books that I've been reading, to do things that I've been reasoning about... about ten people so far have advised to me do things I had already done and written about on the journal, which is now about 2000 posts long, and so I guess I cannot expect people to read it before writing on it.

Well, listen to this. I do not like "!!!" and "???" advice. My dad and teachers have given me enough of that crap during my life.

Second of all, please try not to tell me to do things that I am already doing. Like: if I write 200 posts talking about how I am understanding the importance of using the stoploss, don't come here and tell me "use the stoploss!!!". If you're going to write a peaceful and friendly post with a detailed point of view, please do so, just like wprins does all the time (and even then, I told him to avoid saying "you're wrong" to me - unless he's positive about it - because it bothers me). Otherwise do as you please (I will not report you), but beware that I will place you on my ignore list.

Last edited:
The 0.2% bracket order: good for any instrument

All right. While I dry out from the usual shower/bath, some more thoughts about today's trading and ideas: the 0.2% stoploss.

It works.

All you really need to do to become profitable is use the bracket order gun I talked about, the one for the sniper system on the EUR. However that same gun, if set up on TWS as 0.2 percent bracket order, works on every single market. On top of that you can practice this thing till you become profitable at no cost at all. And guess what: today I even did a lot of paper trading, because somehow with this method even paper trading seems a good idea to me.

Made money on paper trading, and made money on real trading, not much but some.

You just have to keep on practicing this gun until your accuracy becomes good enough. I think I'd be able to train even a kid to be profitable with these setting, and of course the right instruments and broker, which are a requirement.

The trades on my futures all implicate a loss/win of about 200 dollars, whether you trade the EUR, JPY, GBP (half as much money of course), GC, CL, ZN, GBL.

You look at the chart, see whatever direction looks most likely (if none, don't trade), and make your trade. If you place a bunch of these 200 dollars bets, it's practically impossible that, after a few days of practice, you won't develop a good enough edge to be profitable.

What's important though is that you don't double up if a trade goes wrong, and that you don't move your stop if it's about to get hit. And also that you don't exit early, because you might sabotage good trades: but that depends on how good the move was, so you should allow yourself to exit early, but not do it every time (only when the move seems to be over, and it has almost reached the bracket order's target). But that part, the part about not changing the gun, if you don't know this method is good, will be the first part that will go wrong. After seeing that you cannot hit the target you will keep on changing guns instead of realizing that the problem is that you're not a good shot yet. I've said this before, pretty much in the same way, but now I see how this applies to all markets. And it's also clearer.

Every day you should be able to place at least one good and reasonable bet on every market. So that gives you about 10 to 20 bets on 9 futures. You should not have a negative day more than once a month. Of course you have to keep cool, or you will not be able to tell what looks probable or not. But knowing this method is good should help keep cool.

Another important thing is to look at charts once every half an hour. You can't keep on staring at the chart for too long, or you won't have that fresh point of view necessary to spot opportunities. One stare of 10 seconds per chart (4 hours of 1 minute bars, and 2 days of 15 minute bars) and every half an hour. This is the perfect cadence. If you stare at the same chart for 1 minute you risk getting hypnotized and seeing things that are not there.

This method should produce profits with a totally instinctive approach. Regarding automated and semi-automated approaches, I've written already hundreds of posts and there's nothing to say, since their rules are all written down already.

Last edited:
man I am completely pissed becaue here we celebrate new year now !!!!
I think you talking sense and I wish you a very happy new year and you are on your way

Yeah, I am making sense? Thank you very much. I needed someone to tell me something other than "wake up!!!" and "understand???". It's good for a change not to be lectured.

I was with my dad for a couple of hours and I had to listen to his usual lectures, which today were about, in random order: history, politics, Italian, English, cinema (yeah, today he was showing me he knew stuff about taxi driver, my favorite movie). Then I said something, trying to interrupt his monologue, but he turned silent (no nodding, no "aha", no "yes", no interest in his eyes, nothing: like talking to a wall), until I said something that gave him an opportunity to resume his lecture; "speaking of which... I once did this and that...". If he's not talking or interrogating you, he feels uncomfortable. He's either quizzing you or lecturing you. There's no other interaction mode with him. Then, after two hours, I said to myself: enough of these lectures, back to my room.

That's why I can't stand to interact with other people here only willing to lecture me. If you want to reason things out with me, great. But if you are here to lecture me and patronise me, forget it.

I am a trader-philosopher like you (self-taught philosopher: I don't read philosophy, I just think all the time), so I am not surprised if you like some of the stuff I write.

I don't care if I am not profitable and there's some morons who are profitable. This journal is also art to me, psychology, philosophy, music, movies. I want to become profitable but I will do it my way. I am not going to do it the way others want me to do it. Also: the fact that I am not profitable does not make this journal worthless. This journal is art.

Happy New Year, travis. I'm truly sorry if I am one of the people that got frustrated and then offended you. I just want to say that it was coming from a place of liking you, and rooting for you to succeeed. Because if hard work and self-analysis determines reward, then you deserve it, mate!

Take care
Tess

David Chase (David De Cesare), creator of The Sopranos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Chase#Personal_life

It sounds like my family:
Early life
An only child, David DeCesare was born to Henry and Norma DeCesare (both of Neapolitan origin) in Mount Vernon, New York. Some sources list his birth name as David Del Cesare. An Italian-American,[1] Chase grew up in a small garden apartment in Clifton, New Jersey[2] and in North Caldwell.[3] Chase has stated that as a youth he had many issues with his parents, whom he feels were overbearing.[2] He grew up watching matinée crime films and was well-known as a creative storyteller during his childhood.[4] Chase claims his father was an angry man who belittled him constantly as a child and his mother was a "passive-aggressive drama queen" and "a nervous woman who dominated any situation she was in by being so needy and always on the verge of hysteria. You walked on eggshells." One of his characters on the HBO original series The Sopranos, Livia Soprano is based on his mother. Chase struggled with severe depression as a teenager, something he still deals with today. He graduated from high school in 1964 and attended Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where his depression worsened. "I slept 18 hours a day," Chase later stated. He described his problems as "what's come to be known as normal, nagging, clinical depression. It was awful."[2] He also worked as a drummer during this period, and held aspirations of being a professional musician.[4] After two years, he transferred to New York University (NYU), where he announced his decision to pursue a career in film, a decision that was not well-received by his parents. He went on to attend Stanford University's School of Film.

The bracket order's width of 0.2% (of price) is perfect, because it corresponds to about 30 ticks on EUR and GBP, and 15 ticks on CL. If it was half as wide for example it would be like a really crappy weapon, because there's enough randomness in the markets for price to trigger the stoploss (randomly, half of the time) and still go more or less where you expected it to go (but only after triggering your stoploss).

As they say, there's "noise" in the markets, and it's inversely proportional to timeframes and ranges. If price goes up 1 tick in 1 minute, it doesn't mean necessarily that it's going anywhere. There is no way that you can reliably predict a move of 1 tick. If you say price will now rise, it could still go down 3 ticks, but not 100 ticks, so the larger the distance the safer your prediction (provided your prediction is correct). To some extent you might even find a way to predict 3 ticks moves, but in my opinion it's harder, besides being pointless because of spread and commissions costs. Besides, I do think that larger moves are easier to predict (I mean, easier to predict by using a larger bracket order).

So this would speak in favor of making even bigger and longer trades, like prediction a 1000 ticks move to take place in 5 days (with a stoploss of 1000 ticks). However, psychologically it's too hard for me to trade a system that operates once a month: it will drive you crazy by how irregular your trading will be. Instead with this bracket order, with this type of gun, you can get smaller prizes every day, and shoot often enough to end every day with a positive balance.

With a smaller bracket order your ability to predict a (smaller) move would not be as good (because of noise), and with a bigger bracket order your ability might be better but psychologically unbearable (you can't be as patient as to wait months for a good trade). So, a few posts above, I made it look really easy, but the fact is that you can't change your weapon and you can't because this is the right weapon for these instruments and a different weapon might still work but it would be a lot harder to learn to use it profitably.

On the other hand, in the future I might have to consider a different gun. One that allows a 20 ticks stoploss and a 100 ticks takeprofit. But for now, by keeping takeprofit and stoploss equal, I spare myself a lot of estimates, and keep everything as simple as possible, and since the other method is not clearly better, I'll keep the simplest one, which is better because it's simple and that is a quality in itself.

Last edited:
I can't sleep. Watching the second season of the Sopranos.

Been watching 10 movies per day in the past week.

I like it a lot. It's not the godfather, nor goodfellas but it's the best tv series ever made. It's a comedy, what do they call it, noir comedy, or grotesque... anyway... I can't look it up, I can't look everything up.

So, here I am at 7 am, watching the sopranos, and tomorrow my uncle is supposed to come to visit us, but I won't even be awake to meet him - I hope they don't wake me up.

Anyway, I go to the kitchen and, while I'm pissing in the sink, or rather emptying the bottle where I pissed in the sink, I notice some pain in my stomach, and I think to myself: this is cancer.

Then I think: after all the crap I've had to take in my life, it's time for me to become profitable and at least quit my job before I die.

At least there's one invisible reader to keep me company. Here's what I'll watch next:
http://www.letmewatchthis.com/tv-4130-The-Sopranos/season-2-episode-9

It mentions this subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_resuscitation

Great... I'm worried about cancer and, to distract myself, I watch a movie where there's a guy with a cardiac arrest.

You woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun
Mama always said you'd be
The Chosen One.

She said: you're one in a million
You've got to burn to shine,
But you were born under a bad sign,
With a blue moon in your eyes.

You woke up this morning
All the love has gone,
Your Papa never told you
About right and wrong.

But you're looking good, baby,
I believe you're feeling fine (shame about it),
Born under a bad sign
With a blue moon in your eyes...

Last edited:
My whole talk about controlling risk, what douglas' book is about, my talk about using the stoploss... almost everything I've written about in the past month is summed up here:
http://www.trade2win.com/traderpedia/Money_Management

It's all here, and yet such wikipedia-like entries are no good if you don't first understand yourself thoroughly the subject. It's like saying: here's ten books that will make you a lawyer. One thing is to have the books, another thing is to read them, and yet another thing is to thoroughly understand them.

The stuff that makes you profitable is all here, but the funny thing is that if you haven't already understood it on your own, I'll give you this link and it won't help you at all:

It's the usual thing I've been realizing lately; books are only as good as the person who reads them. If you already know something and you read it, you'll like the book, but it will probably have only confirmed what you already knew. If you don't, then you'll read but it won't help you. Or maybe this whole thing only applies to me and to the way I read books (I only read them if I like them, and I like them only if they agree with me: so the books I read maybe cannot teach me anything for this reason).

Anyway, repetita iuvant, so let's quote the good things at this t2w link:

Definition:
Identifying and limiting risk to trading capital.

and:
The term money management can be applied in two ways. One is what can be referred to as portfolio management or investment management. The other can be thought of as risk management, which is how most traders use the term.

and:
[edit]Methods for Limiting Risk
There are a couple ways traders can limit their risk.

[edit] Stop loss
The most commonly used approach at defining and limiting one's risk on a given trade is the use of a stop order. These orders are used to exit trades at specific points to prevent oversized losses. The problem, however, is that stops are not guarantees. One cannot assume that a stop order will be filled at exactly the price intended. Things such as limit moves, fast markets and gaps may cause your stop order to be filled at an undesireable price.

[edit] Hedging
A hedge allows one to offset, partially or completely, one or more specific risks associated with holding a position or set of positions. This often involves the use of derivatives such as futures and options. Individual traders do not tend to be hedgers, but institutions frequently are.

[edit] Position size
Position sizing is an important factor in risk limitation. It is a simple fact that larger positions put more money at risk than do smaller ones. By using a proper position size, a trader can fairly well define how much of her/his account or portfolio is being risked.

I think I do all three methods.

Also, there's useful info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_management

Money management is used in Investment management and deals with the question of how much risk a decision maker should take in situations where uncertainty is present. More precisely what percentage or what part of the decision maker's wealth should be put into risk in order to maximize the decision maker's utility function.

Money management gives practical advice among others for gambling and for stock trading as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.