Market Making

Guidster

Hi,

Considering the idea of getting into market making and would appreciate any thoughts?

ie- best of the different firms- Optiver, Mako, Liquid?

How difficult is progression from trainee/clerk to pro?

Potential earnings?

Future of market making with current low volitility?

any answer or general advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks

any specific opportunity you are considering? which markets would you be quoting?

not sure which markets. what id like to know really is what people think of joining a market making firm as a clerk or trainee? what to expect? if its a good career choice etc?

thks

Guidster said:
not sure which markets. what id like to know really is what people think of joining a market making firm as a clerk or trainee? what to expect? if its a good career choice etc?

thks

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm interested in market making as I'm becoming a little bit disillusioned with my trainee investment manager role- most of the job is just admin and we get paid peanuts.

Is there much opportunity for a grad who's got his exams and some experience at an investment managers moving into MM/ interer-dealer broking?

Would the fact that I haven't really had do any decent maths for a few years be a problem? I'm probably a bit rusty compared to when I was younger.

Cheers

majicka said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm interested in market making as I'm becoming a little bit disillusioned with my trainee investment manager role- most of the job is just admin and we get paid peanuts.

Is there much opportunity for a grad who's got his exams and some experience at an investment managers moving into MM/ interer-dealer broking?

Would the fact that I haven't really had do any decent maths for a few years be a problem? I'm probably a bit rusty compared to when I was younger.

Cheers

Market Making is (IMHO) a extremely hard area to get into.

Most of the MM teams in organisations are fairly small and close-knit with maybe 10-15 covering many 100's of stocks (if we're talking equities) and they tend to select from closed networks - typical routes to becoming a MM might include trading, IDB, institutional broking etc.

I predict a growth in MM activity in ETF and REITs in the next few yrs.

I too believe I would make an excellent MM (small cap equities) :cool:

best of luck.

Market making in equities is gradually moving towards being more screen based,however market making derivatives options etc is probably still a good thing to get into.

I reckon they are well worth a look into, the basic is a bit higher that you'd find at most arcades/prop firms and I'd guess there is a higher chance of success as you spend about a year and a half in a trade support type role. I got to the final interview at one of the firms mentioned in the first post. Passed the various maths tests, mental arithmetic test, IQ type test etc... then I made a complete **** up at interview - I've always been into technical analysis and have tended to use this and price action in order to trade. My economic knowledge is pretty much limited to the effects the major economic figures have on the markets - I'd never anticipate a figure, just trade the reaction to it. I started explaining how I used to trade, mentioning using market profile to work out support/resistance levels etc.. the guy interviewing me then said something along the lines of 'is that some sort of charting thing' and then started asking what were probably fairly basic economics questions about the state of the US economy etc.. I'm sure this would have been fine for any economics grad type who wants a career in 'the city' and reads the FT every day. Unfortunately I've not got much interest in economics (aside from major figures or central bankers making vague statements that may or may not include the words 'strong' and 'vigilance'). I have only ever traded in an environment where I'm holding positions for a few minutes and though I'm passionate about trading it is very much from a technical perspective. The guy interviewing me was a bit baffled and probably even a bit pissed off that I didn't attempt to answer his, presumably fairly simple, economics questions. On the other hand I had a bit of a gut feeling from the start when he said 'wots that? some sort of charting method?' that it wouldn't be a great interview.

I was slightly gutted that I'd got through the completely objective selection process to the final interview stage only to be rejected on the rather subjective grounds - still they seem to be a very successful company so I'm guessing they know what they are looking for in a trainee trader. With hindsight it was stupid of me to have not prepared a bit more for the interview as they are clearly trading from a bit of a different perspective than the average arcade/prop firm.

Market Making is quite a broad topic. There are people that only make a market and they tend to be part of a bank desk. I am a local and although i wouldnt specifically describe myself as a market maker the vast majority of what i do is purely making a market. You wouldnt be the only person in the world that thinks to themselves that market making is a limited risk area of trading because you are constantly getting filled then hedging your position and have limited outright exposure but its an area of trading that is very competitive because computers are now able to do it far more efficiently than a human and for every person that joins your market doing what you are doing it because significantly more competitive. Mastering long term trading may initially be the harder option in trading but if you can get the hang of it traders like you will always be around.

If however you are determined to be involved in market making i suggest you start learning about options, there is more edge in options market making generally because of the complexity of the product.