Looking for a Mentor - NYSE / Nasdaq Stock Trader - Day or Swing Trading

Sorry to hear the news Ali, but I would just like to add my 2 cents worth.

I don't think Mr Charts approach is aggressive at all. You might be referring to individual stock price movement, i.e. volatile stocks and number of alerts generated by his www. In that case, pick the slower paced stocks, narrow the number of stocks you look at and most important premeditate the trade, don't jump straight in. At the end of the day you should take it at your own pace and set constant goals for yourself to strive towards.

If you can perfect your entry, then keeping tight stops is a must. Do you have any rules on what you want to see before a trade is taken, i.e. volume on breakout bar, not before etc, bid traded up 2 ticks before going long on breakout and it is a not an eager trader hitting the ask at the breakout level.

Do you think you will do better with another strategy where bigger stops are part of the plan? And where multi timeframe analysis, multiple indicators etc all need to sink in before placing a trade? No dig intended Grey1.

Finally, their is NO CORRECT WAY of trading the market. Some people on these boards believe there is. Who care's when your'e making money, find a style that suits you.

I did write a post about chasing success, http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=292065#post292065

this IMO is what you doing and not focussing on what needs to be done. You've said it yourself what the problems are, put them right and start again properly.

Best of luck

Last edited:
oh dear

honesty said:
1260 pounds for these words of wisdom.wow! what fanstastic value.

Its such a shame that so called mentors /trainers do not have the decency to warn novices forehand that trading is not for everyone and everything a trainer teaches you can be picked up from a good book.

NO! they have to Tell every Tom Dick and Harry that trading is easy and once they attend a few courses they will be fine.
There is only one word that describes trainers mentors and it begins with a S and ends with M
My greatest respects to Grey who does not need to adertise himself as a trainer,coach to live off other peoples backs.

Surely no one is going to decide to be a day trader, do no research and just listen to any old "Tom Dick and Harry" who claims to be a "trading guru" Pay them a fee and start trading.

It is plainly obvious that day trading is speculation and not investing therefore the risks are much greater. it takes a massive degree of self control and discipline to make moneyl. I am not a trading guru, but I can tell you that line is in the Dummies guide to trading !

I think if you approach a "trading guru" to teach you how to trade, you must have a basic fundamental understanding of what you are getting in to.

If you lose money, it is no fault but your own. As much as I don't agree with seminars/gurus and parting with vast quantities of cash to learn how to trade, I am sure there is a market for it somewhere.

I would buy a few books, teach yourself something and then if you are still stuck go to a guru. At least you know what you are getting in to, and can measure your results with them against how you did on your own.

I think there is so much free info out there and so much you can learn from just a few books I would regret parting with cash to learn how to trade

kolompaar said:
From what I have read so far, I think you should quit trading.

Is this what you chose for yourself kolompaar ?

If anyone is serious about this business I don't think the answer is to quit but to keep working towards your goals with dedication, find something that works for you and suits your personality, get the edge and put it into practice- If i was someone who woud want to quit after going through all this, you would'nt be seeing my post on this board.

I guess there are many out there who may have spent a fortune on training and trading and never admit that they were struggling but just quit !

Good Luck

Sorry if you find my comment offensive, my only intention was to give you honest advice, that may save you money.

Good luck for your trades.

TraderAli said:
Is this what you chose for yourself kolompaar ?

If anyone is serious about this business I don't think the answer is to quit but to keep working towards your goals with dedication, find something that works for you and suits your personality, get the edge and put it into practice- If i was someone who woud want to quit after going through all this, you would'nt be seeing my post on this board.

I guess there are many out there who may have spent a fortune on training and trading and never admit that they were struggling but just quit !

Good Luck

TraderAli,

From one who has spent a day with Grey1 last year, let me give you some advice :

Grey1 is as he states a 'pro trader', he really is the real deal. If I am not mistaken, his background in terms of his 3rd level education and indeed his 'employed' job had all relating elements to his 'self employed' life as a trader today. Which does also help.

You will not be able to emulate or replicate how this man trades, don't even try.....

The good news is that you don't have to reach his level to be succesful, there will be enough left for you.

If I were to encapsulate what the one key ingredient was that I got out of my day with Grey1, it would without doubt be, risk control/management and within that 'position sizing'. This understanding and application has helped me enormously, for which I shall be forever grateful.

Enjoy your day.

ps...regarding the area of daytrading US equities, there are also others on this board who are also very knowledgeable and take the time to post and help, who should be read carefully.....I would recommend you read PitBull's posts (Lee).

vegas said:
TraderAli,

From one who has spent a day with Grey1 last year, let me give you some advice :

Grey1 is as he states a 'pro trader', he really is the real deal. If I am not mistaken, his background in terms of his 3rd level education and indeed his 'employed' job had all relating elements to his 'self employed' life as a trader today. Which does also help.

You will not be able to emulate or replicate how this man trades, don't even try.....

The good news is that you don't have to reach his level to be succesful, there will be enough left for you.

If I were to encapsulate what the one key ingredient was that I got out of my day with Grey1, it would without doubt be, risk control/management and within that 'position sizing'. This understanding and application has helped me enormously, for which I shall be forever grateful.

Enjoy your day.

ps...regarding the area of daytrading US equities, there are also others on this board who are also very knowledgeable and take the time to post and help, who should be read carefully.....I would recommend you read PitBull's posts (Lee).

Hi Vegas,

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it

regards,

Ali

vegas said:
TraderAli,

The good news is that you don't have to reach his level to be successful, there will be enough left for you.

Enjoy your day.

Vegas,

It was a pleasure to have you guys here . Now a days I have totally changed my style of trading to suit my health.. I have 100% automated my strategy and all executions are done through API written for IB and TS so I can be in the garden doing my own things knowing that the engine is trading on my behalf. Automation has been the best thing I have ever done because I no longer spend 9 hours trading and hence little risk to my health .

I could never ever go back to intra day trading like old days . I have no doubt what so ever in a few years most traders shall be automated and business will be done through Trader's PROGRAM TRADE.. So the challenge will be " WHO HAS THE BEST PROGRAM TRADE "..

Grey1

The thought of computers trading against each other will be interesting to see.

Paul

PitBull said:
Sorry to hear the news Ali, but I would just like to add my 2 cents worth.

I don't think Mr Charts approach is aggressive at all. You might be referring to individual stock price movement, i.e. volatile stocks and number of alerts generated by his www. In that case, pick the slower paced stocks, narrow the number of stocks you look at and most important premeditate the trade, don't jump straight in. At the end of the day you should take it at your own pace and set constant goals for yourself to strive towards.

If you can perfect your entry, then keeping tight stops is a must. Do you have any rules on what you want to see before a trade is taken, i.e. volume on breakout bar, not before etc, bid traded up 2 ticks before going long on breakout and it is a not an eager trader hitting the ask at the breakout level.

Do you think you will do better with another strategy where bigger stops are part of the plan? And where multi timeframe analysis, multiple indicators etc all need to sink in before placing a trade? No dig intended Grey1.

Finally, their is NO CORRECT WAY of trading the market. Some people on these boards believe there is. Who care's when your'e making money, find a style that suits you.

I did write a post about chasing success, http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=292065#post292065

this IMO is what you doing and not focussing on what needs to be done. You've said it yourself what the problems are, put them right and start again properly.

Best of luck

Hi PitBull,

I see you are regular poster on the US Daytrading thread, if you don't think loading money in the market at a new high using a momentum approach with a few points stop is aggressive than I can't think of anything else that is. I remember there is another trader on this board who found Richard's approach aggressive and it did'nt quite workout for him either, can't remember the handle of this member but if you like i can dig it up for you.

Thanks for the advice, but i am more interested in Grey1 approach. I have already tried the momentum way and it did'nt work for me, as I have already been blown out twice and cannot afford to lose any more I need to find something which makes more sense to me or if you like suits my personality.

cheers.

Last edited:
No worries Ali, find a style that suits you. Took me 3 years to find my style.
Best wishes

Hi TraderAli

I came across a slightly more relaxed style a while ago that may be worth you looking at, I don't employ it personally but you never know it might appeal more to yourself (or other members).

It's a blog that targets gappers using the 15 and 30 min charts, because of this you have more time to identify and cull your targets. It is also free however I have no affiliation with it.

http://traderx.blogspot.com/

Best of luck for the future
Regards
Steve

Just my two cents:

I do still believe that mentors can play a very important role. Not only watching a more experienced trader can be a great learning experience, but HAVING AN EXPERIENCED TRADER BY YOUR SIDE WHEN YOU START TRADING can be quite great.

I say this by personal experience. Being a part time day trader, and a full time general surgeon, I find many similarities in the training path on both careers. I learned by watching and by doing and being corrected.

Best wishes,

Victor

lloydsc said:
Hi TraderAli

I came across a slightly more relaxed style a while ago that may be worth you looking at, I don't employ it personally but you never know it might appeal more to yourself (or other members).

It's a blog that targets gappers using the 15 and 30 min charts, because of this you have more time to identify and cull your targets. It is also free however I have no affiliation with it.

http://traderx.blogspot.com/

Best of luck for the future
Regards
Steve

Cheers Steve, I will take a look mate..

I have read everybodys complaints, views and reviews and at the end of the day have come to the conclusion that to settle this issue, Mr. Charts should refund the money to Trader Ali.
This would save Mr. Charts Integrety and the issue will be resolved amicably and peacefully.
Does Mr. Charts have that big Heart and Courage to Refund? We don't know yet.
Actions speak louder than words. Mr. Charts, lets see how you respond.

johnblake said:
I have read everybodys complaints, views and reviews and at the end of the day have come to the conclusion that to settle this issue, Mr. Charts should refund the money to Trader Ali.
This would save Mr. Charts Integrety and the issue will be resolved amicably and peacefully.
Does Mr. Charts have that big Heart and Courage to Refund? We don't know yet.
Actions speak louder than words. Mr. Charts, lets see how you respond.

well you raise a point im sure enters a lot of peoples heads. In this day and age what about quality of service for exchange of monies? And what to do for unhappy customers? After all its an opportunity to reinforce your brand, and turning a negative into a positive of customer interaction between buyer and seller further enhace customer and retailers bond.

Now a refund i think is not good enough, I think that if it was me then I would want to ensure my customer could carry out or make use of the product supplied, thats the intent of my business (if it was) , the goal , objectives etc. But the thing is different entities have different objectives.

Its worth talking about because a lot of people pay money for trading methods, or know how etc, but there needs to be priced in (and I dont mean money), I think a reasonable period of ongoing support or after sales service with this type of product, it could be as simple as ,well heres a dvd with 20/50 or 100 trades, live recorded off my own screen with my commentary at the time etc. Or 6 months access to the coaches own trades via the website offering the client an actual step by step analysis and insight into the psyche of the trader whlist he was actually trading them That would help perhaps drum home the plays setup and offer a form of remote proactive ongoing support to help reinforce the goal of providing knowledge leading to skill building for the customer so that they can use or get the most out of the product being sold.

And the good thing is, the coach doesnt even have to be there ,although he is , its beautifuls. :p

Last edited:
Crap Buddist said:
well you raise a point im sure enters a lot of peoples heads. In this day and age what about quality of service for exchange of monies? And what to do for unhappy customers? After all its an opportunity to reinforce your brand, and turning a negative into a positive of customer interaction between buyer and seller further enhace customer and retailers bond.

I think the main problem is to find out which of these services are of value.. "The wise man produces, the unwise writes books".. I haven't met many competent traders with the time and patience to colaborate in the formation of aspiring traders... although there are some exceptions..

And the point is, as you stated quite well, how can you tell the difference?

Is it just a matter of luck? I was lucky to find a good teacher.. I think

Have a great weekend

Vcir, some people are too thick to realise that English is not everyone’s first language :rolleyes:

The Internet....do they get that in other countries??? :eek: :rolleyes: