lets define the correct yardstick

Nuggets

Michael Carr
One of the original Turtles
Don't worry about what the markets are going to do, worry about what you are going to do in response to the markets.

http://www.performance-appraisal.com/SecretsOfMasterTraders.htm

Edwin Lefevre
It was the same with all. They would not take a small loss at first but had held on, in the hope of a recovery that would "let them out even." And prices had sunk and sunk until the loss was so great that it seemed only proper to hold on, if need be a year, for sooner or later prices must come back. But the break "shook them out," and prices just went so much lower because so many people had to sell, whether they would or not. The spectator's chief enemies are always boring from within. It is inseparable from human nature to hope and to fear. In speculation when the market goes against you, you hope that every day will be the last day -- and you lose more than you should had you not listened to hope -- to the same ally that is so potent a success-bringer to empire builders and pioneers, big and little. And when the market goes your way you become fearful that the next day will take away your profit, and you get out -- too soon. Fear keeps you from making as much money as you ought to. The successful trader has to fight these two deep-seated instincts. He has to reverse what you might call his natural impulses. Instead of hoping he must fear; instead of fearing he must hope. He must fear that his loss may develop into a much bigger loss, and hope that his profit may become a big profit. It never was my thinking that made big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!

K Tharp
There are four general categories of exits: 1. Exits that make your initial loss smaller; 2. Exits that maximize your profits; 3. Exits that minimize how much profit you give back; and 4. Psychological Exits.

Tony Saliba
I realized that this chipping away approach was what I should be doing, not putting myself at big risk, trying to collect a ton of dough. I always define my risk, and I don't have to worry about it. No matter what happens, I know my worst case. My loss is always limited. The biggest problem with some traders is that they think they are bigger than the market. They don't fear the market place, and they lose sight of their discipline. If I have a bad day trading or a losing position I either liquidate it or neutralize it, because then I am back afloat.

Last edited:
Mark Weinstein
The biggest mistake I made was having a specific target of what I wanted out of the trade. I think there are a lot of people in this business who just enjoy watching others lose money. I don't believe anyone ever gets wiped out in the market because of bad luck; there is always some other reason for it. Either you were off when you did the trade, or you didn't have the experience. There is always a mistake involved. I have found that the greatest traders are the ones who are most afraid of the markets.

Marty Schwartz
Won Stanford University's Investing Championships and has earned as much as 781% return in a single trading year
I turned from a loser to a winner when I was able to separate my ego needs from making money. When I was able to accept being wrong. Before that, admitting I was wrong was more upsetting than losing the money. When I became a winner I went from 'I figured it out, therefore it can't be wrong' to 'I figured it out, but if I'm wrong, I'm getting the hell out, because I want to save my money and go on to the next trade.' By living the philosophy that my winners are always in front of me, it is not so painful to take a loss. If I make a mistake, so what! My attitude is: Never risk your family's security. Whenever you get hit, you are very upset emotionally. Most traders try to make it back immediately; they try to play bigger. Whenever you try to get all your losses back at once, you are most often doomed to fail. After a devastating loss, I always play very small and try to get black ink, black ink. It's not how much money I make, but just getting my rhythm and confidence back. Before taking a position always know the amount you are willing to lose. The most important thing is money management, money management, money management.

Michael Steinhardt
The word 'trading' is not the way I think of things. I may be a trader in the sense that my frequency of transactions is relatively high, but the word 'investing' would apply just as much, if not more. In my mind, trading implies an anticipation of a sale at the time of purchase. Good trading is a peculiar balance between the conviction to follow your ideas and the flexibility to recognize when you have made a mistake. The balance between confidence and humility is best learned through extensive experience and mistakes.

Last edited:
You're collecting some good stuff , but some of at it at least won't help people or you until you/they experience it.
For example ..types of exits posted above..consider this ...do you know what it is that makes your money ...if you answer no ...then how do you know when to take the profit ..if you answer yes then you should know what type of exit you are taking. Just a thought.
LOL...just pressed the reply button and what did I see staring at me in font a foot high ...LOL

For all the books, advice, banter, arguments, posts and sayings. That is probably one of the best things I've read on these boards for a long while....

Nothing teaches better than 'experience'....

illiquids trade poetry

But what struck me one day was not the knee-jerk clockwork of my emotional buttons, nor the likely impossibility of ever eradicating them. It was instead the recognition that this fearless alter ego, which inevitably spelled utter disaster when allowed to take the reins in desperate circumstances, was exactly the kind of trader I've always aspired to be when all the odds were in my favor. This was the guy I needed to take the helm when the best opportunities arose, when the edge would cut sharpest and where bold and brash worked towards maximizing my advantage.My goal became (and remains today) to transplant this other persona out from a mere instinctual gut-reaction to hostile circumstances, and into an environment polar-opposite to its native one: positive, confident, and proactive. But no matter how clear this was to me in theory, there was no other way to break the habit but continual effort and repetition; reversing years of automatic response and re-directing my aggression to its proper place was not going to be easy.

Attachments

• smh060306.GIF
    smh060306.GIF
    41.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
pre08eb06pre

EIA Petroleum Status Report
10:30 ET

R3=3750
R2=3735
R1=3700
S1=3672