lets define the correct yardstick

contrakt said:
Number of Shares
Stops are set technical.
And trades must have a (potential reward: gross risk)>=2
Sorry mate, not trying to be difficult but I am interested in understanding why you think a fixed share size is less complicated....

If this particular stock doubles in price overnight - do you really want to be trading the same number of shares the next day regardless?

If your technical stop is twice as large in time period-1 as time period-2 - do you really want to be trading the same number of shares regardless?

What's complicated about calculating your trade size based on a percentage of your trading capital at risk?

The only reason I ask this is that there is (was?) another member who insisted on fixed size (number of shares} positions. They don't post anymore....

TheBramble said:
Sorry mate, not trying to be difficult but I am interested in understanding why you think a fixed share size is less complicated....

If this particular stock doubles in price overnight - do you really want to be trading the same number of shares the next day regardless?

If your technical stop is twice as large in time period-1 as time period-2 - do you really want to be trading the same number of shares regardless?

What's complicated about calculating your trade size based on a percentage of your trading capital at risk?

The only reason I ask this is that there is (was?) another member who insisted on fixed size (number of shares} positions. They don't post anymore....

To keep it as simple and focussed as possible (and for some not so obvious reasons) I play just one stock.
Its a index tracker or a etf called SMH. This etf is quit liquid and volatile, although the chance that
this index doubles in a overnight is remote.

But in case It really moves Ill adjust the risk, so that the % of capital at risk, in any trade, stays in line with my risk appetite.

Last edited:
contrakt said:
To keep it as simple and focussed as possible (and for some not so obvious reasons) I play just one stock.
Its a index tracker or a etf called SMH. This etf is quit liquid and volatile, although the chance that
this index doubles in a overnight is remote.
Are your technical stops likely to very in size much then (says The Bramble, trying desperately to salvage something from this attempt at specificity...)

TheBramble said:
Are your technical stops likely to very in size much then (says The Bramble, trying desperately to salvage something from this attempt at specificity...)

No, my initial stops will be in a range from minimal 9 cents up to a max of 15 cents, with a targeted average of around 11 cents.

Ill take my trades and stops dominantly from a fixed price-range candle chart with candles set at 9c.

If SMH really moves Ill adjust the:
-initial risk, so that the % of capital at initial risk, in any trade, stays in line with my risk appetite
-fixed range candle size, so that my chart shows smooth moves.

Last edited:
Ah, OK then. Well, I suggest, for now, to keep things simple for yourself, keep size constant...

:cool:

13-17 febr economic calender + chart c

Tuesday 8:30, 10:00
Wednesday 9:15, 10:30, 13:00
Thursday 8:30, 10:30
Friday 8:30, 9:45

and the yearly updated each weekend

Attachments

• smhyearly13feb06.GIF
    smhyearly13feb06.GIF
    51.5 KB · Views: 226
Monday 13-feb

From 20day 30 m chart
R2=39
R1=38.5
S1=37.75
S2=37.5

From last
2 trading days:
R2=39.06
R1=38.4
S1=37.66
S2=

Attachments

• smh20d30m13feb06.GIF
    smh20d30m13feb06.GIF
    72.4 KB · Views: 209
Mark Douglas/Maximum objectivity

As a trader, you have the power either to give yourself money or to give your money to other traders.

You are going to have to learn how to flow with and constantly adapt to the outer conditions.

What you need to do is determine how the majority of traders perceive the external conditions in relationship to either their fear of scarcity or their fear of missing out, or both.

If you pick and choose market information on the basis of having to justify your believes, ...extreme disadvantage.
..... it will be extremely difficult to learn how to develop a perspective for the "big picture" by expanding your time frame perspective.
You will be excluding awareness information that may be more indicative of the consistency of the market and its
potential to move in any given direction.

Learn how to release yourself from the demand your expectation be full-filled exactly the way you expect them to be.
,,, perceive whatever opportunities exist in the market now

To grasp the fundamental nature of your own behaviour, you will need to understand thoroughly all the effects fear has on your perception of environmental information.

Instead of being focussed on pain avoidance, you can be focused on what the markets are telling you.

You can't grow or expand if you are denying the existence of enviromental informationt that would clearly indicate your level of development.

Last edited:
prep170206 scalping

10day chart on 15 min

r2=39.07
r1=38.75
s1=38.45
s2=38.20

Attachments

• smh170206prep.GIF
    smh170206prep.GIF
    49.7 KB · Views: 223
Bread and Butter

contrakt said:
After contemplation on what deserves my highest priority, I have decided to completely focus on perfecting strategy 1.

Rather than create a basket of strategies, pick one. Just one. Refine that strategy until it provides you with high-probability entries, reasonable targets, clear exit points. Then test it, manually, on old charts, bar by bar by bar in order to determine whether or not it really does what you thought it would do. Then forward-test it (paper-trade it) until you determine whether or not it does what it did only does it in the current market environment. Only when you trust it should you begin trading it. But only it. Nothing else. Only when you can execute that strategy flawlessly and consistently should you even think about adding another strategy to your repertoire. If you can't trade it flawlessly and consistently, and the results have given you no reason to stop trusting it, then you have other issues to deal with that have nothing to do with strategy, and creating another one wouldn't do you much good.

Quote from --DB/elitetrader

Last edited:
Innnerworth/bigstone/elitetrader

Todays Innerworth newsletter hit the "nail on the head". In my previous life I worked mainly with sensors and noted that they had a fixed idea about trading. The intuitives used a feel for the various markets and had a higher win rate.

The intuitive vs sensor explains why Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers and other such professionals have a tough time making it as traders.

Article follows-
The Intuitive Trader
Stan and John have been following a stock and trying to anticipate the pivot point. Stan declares, "After looking at the troughs and moving averages over the past 30 periods, the facts indicate that the pivot will be exactly at 50. I'm positive; it must be right at 50." John replies, "Exactly 50? Maybe around 50, but I wouldn't be that precise." These two traders have very different personality styles when looking at information and drawing conclusions. Stan wants to just focus on objective facts. He is a "tough minded" decision maker. John, in contrast, is more intuitive. He sees so-called "facts" as merely subjective interpretations. Like many seasoned traders, John relies on an abstract feeling he has for the markets and trusts his intuition. He's an intuitive trader.
How do you observe the world and gather information about it? Do you just want the facts and the specific details and none of that "touchy-feely" stuff? Or are you more intuitive? You don't believe in facts. You think reality is subjective, merely an artificial construction that differs from person to person. You prefer to think in theoretical and abstract terms. Perhaps you are a little of both. Philosophers, such as William James and Carl Jung, have relished demarcating various "types" of people. "Types" are ideals that don't really exist in a pure form. They are merely loose categories we use to make sense of the world. They reduce information overload, but often distort. Despite the inaccuracy of placing people in categories, it does often seem that some people fit more into one "type" than another. Take, for example, what James called the "Rational" versus the "Empiricist," or what Jung called the "Intuitive" versus the "Sensor." Sensor types prefer cold hard facts and see the world as rational, predictable, and orderly. Intuitive types are more fanciful, and see the world as random, theoretical, and conceptual. This typology may also apply to the way people approach trading. Which type of trader are you?
A trader who is a sensor, for example, may want to know the specific price level where resistance begins. He or she would prefer to follow a specific set of rules to identify precisely where resistance begins. An intuitive trader, in contrast, merely views the "rules" to identify resistance as just guidelines, which may work sometimes but not always. For example, perhaps resistance will be a round number or a previous peak or trough, perhaps it will not. No one knows for sure; such guidelines are just possibilities, not hard and fast rules. Sensors look at market concepts literally, believing they are true-life entities, rather than just abstract concepts. An intuitive trader looks at the markets in a figurative sense. All signals and indicators are subjective in the end, may be a little inaccurate, and are a mere approximation of reality. There's a good chance they will be wrong and that's all right.

When it comes to the markets, it's generally advantageous to be an intuitive trader. Reading the charts and getting a feel for the markets is subjective. Trading decisions are merely based on educated guesses. It isn't exact, but mushy, random, unpredictable, and conceptual. It's not linear, matter of fact, and predictable. Expert traders and trading coaches have long noted that sensors have difficulty learning to trade. They want to find all the specific facts and unfailing rules that can be used to forecast the markets. They tend to think that if the "right" set of signals can be discovered, they can make big profits. It would be nice if it were that simple, and if it were, there would be a bunch of smart people with Ph.D.s in economics and other fields who would be billionaires, but there aren't. Why? Because the markets are so complex and chaotic that it takes intuition, hunches, and a kind of creative and artful mastery to win consistently. The logical analysis of facts and figures can only go so far when you are trying to trade the markets, which have inaccurate figures and are largely inexact. So if you are a "natural" intuitive type, you've got a head start. And if you are a sensor, try to nurture your more intuitive side. Become an intuitive trader, and you'll see your profits grow.

advice bigstone

An old sage told the best advice-

Always look forward to getting fired- your next job will be better.

Look especially forward to getting a divorce as the next woman will be better.

Go bankrupt- nobody wants their old bills.

Trading in the zone/synopsis by bigstone

The Five Fundamental Truths
1. Anything can happen.
2. You don’t need to know what is going to happen next in order to make money.
3. There is a random distribution between wins and losses for any given set of variables that define an edge.
4. An edge is nothing more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing happening over another.
5. Every moment in the market is unique.

The Seven Principles of Consistency
1. I objectively identify my edges.
2. I predefine the risk of every trade.
3. I completely accept the risk or I am willing to let go of the trade.
4. I act on my edges without reservation or hesitation.
5. I pay myself as the market makes money available to me.
6. I continually monitor my susceptibility for making errors.
7. I understand the absolute necessity of these principles of consistent success and, therefore, I never violate them.

Trading Errors
1. Not Predefining risk before entering a trade.
2. Not cutting your losses.
3. Letting a winning trade turn into a loser without taking any profits. Have an organized, systematic, money- management regimen for taking profits when the market goes in the direction of your trade.

The Three Stages of Trading
The mechanical stage

1. Build the self-trust necessary to operate in an unlimited environment.
2. Learn to flawlessly execute a trading system.
3. Train your mind to think in probabilities (the five fundamental truths).
4. Create a strong, unshakeable belief in your consistency as a trader.

The subjective stage
1. Use anything you have ever learned about the nature of the market movement to do whatever it is you want to do.
2. Learn how to monitor your susceptibility to make the kind of trading errors that are the result of any unresolved self-evaluation issues.

The intuitive stage
1. Work at setting up a state of mind most conductive to receiving and acting on your intuitive impulses.

Last edited:
Self sabotage/acrary

I found if I had a goal that my self-concious believed was not doable, then I'd self-sabotage my trading. Once I realized this and changed my goals the self-sabotage stopped.

Mark Douglas

To prevent these blind spots in our perception, we have to learn
to trade without fear. And to trade without fear we need to accept whatever info
the market is offering about itself, and we need to be able to trust ourselves to know that we will always act in our best interest without hesitation, regardless of the conditions.

In order to make a better assesments of the conditions and make better choices we have to release ourselves from anything within us that would cause us to narrow our focus of attention or specifically block certain categories of information from our awarness.

To learn a skill, we usually have to break the skill down into series of small steps
and concentrate on each individual step until we can put all steps together into a series of effective movements.

We usuallly only question the value or usefullness of something that is inside of us, if we are forced to(by pain), as an absolute last resort.

a] confront existing conditions(in and outside)
b] indentify what we need to learn to operate more effectively
c] learn it
d]make relevant adustments along the way

Last edited:
Adapt to more usefull and satisfying beliefs about change and growth

1-sufficient objective understanding of environment (release confusion, fear, stress and barriers)
2-recognise needs and formulate realistic goals
3-extract elementary tasks from goals
4-preplan and streamline tasks
5-train appropriate skills to execute tasks
6-skilful execution of tasks(release frustration)
7-not right believes, perceptions, weak intent and/or appropriate skills? go to 1

Last edited:
220206scalpprep

10d15m

Attachments

• smh220206prep1144.GIF
    smh220206prep1144.GIF
    47.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Chart of SMH230206post.gif
    Chart of SMH230206post.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Hello,

I have now spend more then 5 years in developing economic ways to explore/exploit a liquid etf market.
So I really do understand this secrecy concerning sharing all essentials of a strategy.

In general I am learning a lot from:
-raw screen-time
-analysing and repairing my mayor f :eek: ps
-some of you here, content elsewhere on the Internet and from some of my colleges
-books
-everything else

I have also benefited from sharing some of my developments on T2W. I did and do this in onder to learn along the way and to stay focused. So dont be suprised that Im willing to share a lot more. In the mean time I have been scalping smh exclusively for 1,5 year now.

Maybe because I fully understand that even I cant duplicate my own scalping wins and losses, Ill be happy to continue to share and grow.

Thanks

Last edited:
23feb06preppost

Economic news:
8:30 ET
10:00 ET
10:30 ET *2

SR
R3=38,40
R2=38,10
R1=38,65
S1=37,35
S2=36,90
S3=

Attachments

• smh23feb06prep.GIF
    smh23feb06prep.GIF
    51.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Change

The time is now, the place is here. Stay in the present. You can do nothing to change the past, and the future will never come exactly as you plan or hope for.
Dan Millman

Can machines have souls? You ask me that and I ask you if souls can learn. If they can't -- then of what importance is this concept? Sterile and empty and unchangeable for eternity. How much more preferable it is to understand that we create ourselves. Slowly and painfully, shaped basically by our genes, modified steadily by everything we see and hear and attempt to understand. That is the reality and that is how we function, learn and develop.
Harry Harrison and Marvin Minsky, The Turing Option

To change and to change for the better are two different things.
German proverb

The greatest revolution in our generation is that of human beings, who by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
Marilyn Ferguson

Don't fear change, embrace it.
Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

Engineering is not merely knowing and being knowledgeable, like a walking encyclopedia; engineering is not merely analysis; engineering is not merely the possession of the capacity to get elegant solutions to non-existent engineering problems; engineering is practising the art of the organised forcing of technological change... Engineers operate at the interface between science and society...
Dean Gordon Brown

We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.
Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

They must often change who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC), Analects

We now accept the fact that learning is a lifelong process of keeping abreast of change. And the most pressing task is to teach people how to learn.
Peter Drucker (1909 - 2005)

The art of progress is to preserve order amid change.
Alfred North Whitehead (1861 - 1947)

Approach each new problem not with a view of finding what you hope will be there, but to get the truth, the realities that must be grappled with. You may not like what you find. In that case you are entitled to try to change it. But do not deceive yourself as to what you do find to be the facts of the situation.
Bernard M. Baruch (1870 - 1965)

Real, constructive mental power lies in the creative thought that shapes your destiny, and your hour-by-hour mental conduct produces power for change in your life. Develop a train of thought on which to ride. The nobility of your life as well as your happiness depends upon the direction in which that train of thought is going.
Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)

Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.
Suzanne Necker (1739 - 1794)

Most advances in science come when a person for one reason or another is forced to change fields.
Peter Borden

Change your thoughts and you change your world.
Norman Vincent Peale (1898 - 1993)

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.
Nelson Mandela (1918 - ), 'A Long Walk to Freedom'

Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.
H. L. Hunt

When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.
Hugh White (1773 - 1840)

A weapon is a device for making your enemy change his mind.
Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Vor Game", 1990

Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
Alvin Toffler

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

Weather is a great bluffer. I guess the same is true of our human society -- things can look dark, then a break shows in the clouds, and all is changed.
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Last edited: