JillyB's Blog

Hi Jilly,

I know I am being incredibly thick, but have you defined your rules in your journal ?
I see that the strategy is based around Boll-Bands, but the specific settings seem to elude me.
Are they meant to be secret for the time being ?
PS: I have started to look at Boll-Bands myself, following your intial successes!

3pm Trade

A signal was given at 3pm

BUY 10533/37
Target 10556/60

23August3pm.jpg

UPDATE: Target hit 3.21pm = 19 point profit

Naughty Jilly

I should really have my hands slapped for this trade - as it doesn't follow any of my rules for my trading system, but it seemed to be staring me in the face. My friend User, also posted on the Where is the Dow etc thread the same thoughts as I was having so I decided to ignore everything and trade it.

17.29 BUY 10,500/504

18.43 exit 10,524/528

20 points after spread.

I kicked myself with this trade, as the same as with most trades I do, I got out too soon and left money on the table. This is one lesson I have still to learn - set the target and let it run. My target for this was 10,545/49 and this was hit later in the evening.

I have to learn that my targets are sound and hit 99% of the time and I should not bail out too soon. I have a tendancy to sit on a trade and worry about it - it's a bad habit and one I need to stop doing.

So this is my next lesson for myself - set the exit point and let the trade run. LEAVE IT ALONE!

(Still 20 points isn't bad and better than a slap in the face with a wet fish!!!!!)

No Trades Today

Feeling under the weather a bit today - so decided not to trade.

But if anyone is interested then a signal was given on the 3 hour chart at 3pm with the candle opening below the inner bottom bollinger. (If you want the settings for this - go to the comments on my journal and you will see that I give them in reply to a post from Trendie).

The trade was
BUY at 10498/502
could leave this on for 24 hours but to get out now at start of 6pm candle would mean 10546/50. A nice profit of 44 points.

Watch the 15 minute charts as well - there was a nice tweezers bottom candlestick formation at 14.30 and 14.45. A good signal that the trend was going to change.

Just one trade

It's proving to be a very quiet day today - not much movement out there at all. However due to the lack of movement and subsequent closeness of the bollinger lines a signal was given at 3pm on the 15 min, 30 min and 1 hour charts.

This is the chart at 14.59pm on the 1 hour chart - see that the candle has closed at 10,425 outside the inner bollinger line.

14.59pm.jpg

The signal was BUY 10,425/49
I set a target with this of 10.446/50 - which you will see from the chart is the outer top bollinger line.

15.33pm the target was hit for 17 points.

15.33pm.jpg

Both the above charts are 1 hour.

There will be no trades tomorrow as I'm away for a long weekend to see my parents for the Bank Holiday - 7.00am flight!!! I hate those early check-ins.

Uncertain trade

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one.

A signal was given at 3pm on the 30 min chart for a BUY trade. I entered at 10398/402 and took a small profit at 10417/21 for 15 points.

Another signal has now been given on the 30 min chart for another BUY trade, but I am so unsure about this. The downward trend does seem to be slowing, but it's still quite negative. All the indicators on the 30 min chart are low, illustrating that there is room for upward movement, but I am hesitant. They 3 hour chart is starting to fall over from a high level on the stochastic - so any trade on the 30 min chart would be short-lived (?) possibly.

Still I'm in - somewhat after the 3.30pm entry time, but on a BUY trade at 10394/98.

I've set my target as 10408/12 - to take a 10 point profit, which with my earlier trade would give 25 points for the day.

I am generally trying for 20 points - so better not to get too greedy as for me, it's an uncertain trade. I will let you know how it gets on.

Caution was correct (edited)

I was right to be cautious. The lack of upward movement on the first signal at 3pm should have been an indicator that the bulls were not in total control. The downward movement has continued and I got out at 10386/92 for an 18 point loss.

There may possibly be a signal on the 3 hour charts at around 6pm, but I will let you know as the time draws close. At the moment it is still just a hunch that the current trend is finding a level of support at 10,360 -370, but time will tell.

NOTE: This is a good indication of NOT to enter a trade on the 30 min chart when the longer time frames - 3hr, 4hr are against the trade.

Analysis of Yesterday (Amended)

So I was asking myself what went wrong yesterday and why the trade on the 30 min charts at 3.30pm didn't work. The candle opened outside the lower bollinger - fulfilling the requirement - but the trend remained downwards.

On one of the earlier posts, I mentioned the price line that connects the candles and said that this could also signal a trade when it crosses back inside the bollinger line from being outside it.

This is part of what went wrong yesterday - and it is something I have come across before and really should be part of my rules for trading this system. This is that - when the candle opens outside the bollinger BUT the price line is also outside the bollinger DO NOT TRADE IT.

The price line being outside the bollinger signals the strength of that particular trend - up or down - and the line needs to come back inside the bollinger before a signal can be generated.

30August.jpg

This is the chart for yesterday and you can clearly see that the price line was outside the bollinger from 2.30pm until 4.30pm. This was signalling a strong movement. The price line passed back inside the bollinger during the candle starting 4.30pm and finishing at 5pm. The rule states that if the price line is moves back inside the bollinger after being outside then this is a signal for a trade. So a trade could have been placed at 5pm at 10,361/65, the bollingers were quite wide at this time, so if the exit had been set as the MA instead - at 10,409/13 - this would have been a safe trade. The exit would have been triggered about an hour later for a 44 point profit.

However, back to my earlier analysis of the candle opening outside the bollinger line, but the price line still being inside the bollinger. This did happen yesterday at 8pm when the candle opened at 10,350/54 - the bollingers had narrowed by this time making it safer to use the opposite bollinger at 10,402/06 as the target. Again this was hit for a 48 point profit.

So the rule is that -
Trade when the candle opens outside the bollinger and the price line is still inside the bollinger.

Do not trade when the candle opens outside the bollinger and the price line is also outside the bollinger. - WAIT for the price line to come back inside the bollinger and trade on this signal.

P.S. I should add that this applies to all time frames - 30 min, 3 hour, 4 hour and daily charts.

A Perfect Example

Following yesterdays lesson, a perfect example of what I was discussing arose this lunchtime and gave a perfect short term trade.

31stAug1pm.jpg

This is a 30min chart and the candle at 12.30pm opened outside the bollinger, however the price line connecting the candles was also outside. So I waited. At 1pm the candle opened inside the bollinger, but with it the price line crossed back inside the bollinger - signalling the entry point for the trade at 10,425/29.

The exit point was set as the MA at 10,402/06 - which was subsequently hit (and some more) but made a nice opening to the day with a 19 point profit.

The Dow is currently heading downwards at the moment (3.05pm), but I'm watching the charts to see if a BUY signal will be generated later - at the moment it looks as if the price line on the 30 min charts will go outside the lower bollinger - so it may be nearer to 6pm before a signal is generated.

Interesting reading, thanks. You have learned one of the most important lessons for making a winning strategy work, patience! Works every time (almost) for me :) A good strategy needs refining over time so I hope this small tweak in yours improves your succes rate.

Hi Jilly,

Today, Sept 1st. 30 minutes. 15:30pm. Seems like a potential trade.
Wish I had taken it !

trendie said:
Hi Jilly,

Today, Sept 1st. 30 minutes. 15:30pm. Seems like a potential trade.
Wish I had taken it !

Hi Trendie

Yes, I know - have you read my latest notes. I'm really starting to get some good feelings about this system. It very rarely has let me down; even when I've looked at the signal and thought - you must be joking!!!! - it still turned out to be correct.

Todays trade and Lesson

Today was a good day for trading - but I also have my concerns about what I'm doing.

Firstly to the trades - Last night on the 3 hour chart a signal was generated for a SELL trade, as I am not awake (even remotely) at that time, I took an entry point at 9am this morning at 10,481/86 (out of hours the spread is 5 points). My target was the MA at 3am (the bollingers were quite wide, so did not anticipate enough movement to go right across to the other bollinger line - the MA was at 10,425/29. This was hit (only just) at 3.15pm - but that is all that matters. This turned out to be an excellent trade (if I say so myself) netting 52 points.

The chart below illustrates this. The chart on the left is the 3 hour chart and the chart on the right is the 15 minute chart.

1Sept.jpg

The 15 minute chart shows two other good trades, but I am concerned here that I am starting to look at this on smaller and smaller time frames. (Break here to go home - will finish this at just after 6pm) Ok, back now. Yes, the time frames - this is starting to worry me as the whole point of this strategy was supposed to be a set and leave one - to enable me to set the trade - leave it - and come back to take the profits later. It wasn't supposed to be one about sitting over the pc, watching the charts all afternoon and evening. Perhaps it's because I have the time at the moment to do this, so the shorter time frames are presenting opportunities for smaller trades.

In any case the trade this afternoon on the 15 minute chart was another pofitable one. As you will see on the above chart the priceline moved outside the bollinger at 2.30pm, it didn't start to make any move back in until 3.30pm and this was confirmed at the close of that candle. So the BUY trade was entered at 3.45pm at 10,429/33. The target was set as the opposite bollinger at 10,499/503 I was actually willing to take profits at 10,484/88 - which was the level of the Dow at 2.30pm when it opened, but in fact I made the higher level, but did keep the trailing stop in there this time, just to make sure. The Stochastic on the 15 min chart at the time the trade was entered was low and there was room for upward movement, but the stochastic on the 3hour chart was already very high - which signalled my caution.

As it was I think I was lucky to take this trade with a 66 point profit. For the day that makes me +118 points. Which is definitely one of my better days.

There is another trade showing on the 15 min charts which is where the following candle opened outside the bollinger, but the price line was still inside. The trade would have been SELL at 10,506/10 with a target of the MA (around the 50% retracement and seems to work well) of 10,464/68, which would have given a 38 point profit. I didn't trade this - but it just shows what can be done.

Perhaps what I have here is one method that I can utilise in different ways. If I want to sit in front of the computer and swing trade a little I can do. Equally if I have better things to do that day, I can trade based on a 3 or 4 hour chart. Horses for courses, I believe is the saying.

Well this has been a bit of a long post in the journal. Hope it wasn't too boring.

A Bit Late - but Fridays Trades

This is a bit late, but here's what I traded on Friday.

Signal on 30 min charts at 2.30pm
SELL at 10,473/77
target opposite bollinger at 10,458/62 - hit at 2.45pm for 11points

Signal on 30 min charts at 5.00pm
BUY at 10,439/43
target opposite bollinger at 10,478/82 - hit at 5.55pm for 35 points

Signal on 3 hour chart at 6.00pm
SELL at 10,474/78
target opposite bollinger at 10,449/53 - hit at 8.55pm for 21 points

Total for day = 67 points

Tuesday 6th September

Signal on 15 minute charts

SELL 10,546/50
Target - MA = 10,526/30

Stopped Out

So yesterday trade was stopped out at 10,577/81. (Just to show that no system is perfect). All the signals were in place and the trade was set according to my rules - so I have nothing to chide myself about. It was quite simply a losing trade - and we all have them.

Personally I found yesterday a difficult day after the holiday in the States on Monday. The market shot up in early trading and didn't seem to want to hand back any of the points.

Still, there's more trading today.

It was either going up on Friday or post holiday opening. Yesterdays action was what I expected on Friday. I stood aside for most of the day and went short late in the session @10565.
Your assertion is correct - no system is perfect and thats why good money management is needed as well. I'm expecting a pullback but nothing too forgiving, maybe 10558 or lower to 10537.

kevinmcm said:
It was either going up on Friday or post holiday opening. Yesterdays action was what I expected on Friday. I stood aside for most of the day and went short late in the session @10565.
Your assertion is correct - no system is perfect and thats why good money management is needed as well. I'm expecting a pullback but nothing too forgiving, maybe 10558 or lower to 10537.

Yes I think there will be a small pullback today - I am just about to post today's trade. Hopefully it will be better than yesterdays.

Today's Trade

Hi Everyone,

Today's trade was a signal given at midnight last night on the 3 hour chart. I wasn't around to trade it - still out on the town at that time, so I set a limit order this morning hoping it might be filled. Lucky me - it was at just after 10.30am

So the trade is
SELL 10,587/92
Target 10,549/53 (possible 34 points)

My stop (using the outer bollinger) would be 10,650/54 which is a bit high for my liking so I am not going to place a stop and just keep more of an eye on the trade.

I'm Going on Holiday! (Yipee!)

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you all know that I'm going to be away on holiday from tonight until the end of September, so there will be no more journal entries for a while.

Yesterday I managed a couple of small trades based on the 15 min charts and took a total of 33 points. This at least has gone some way to offsetting the losses of the last two days. However I have learnt something from them - which is the way it should be.

On the 3 hour charts there were definite signals for trades (also on the 4 hour chart). However on the daily chart the price line had gone outside the upper bollinger, signalling - as I have mentioned before - a strong trend. This is why the trades were unsuccessful. The longer term trend was too strong.

In times where the trend is strong on the daily chart, then the intraday smaller time frames - such as 15 minute charts - tend to work better.

That's all for now and for the next few weeks. See you all soon.