• New to T2W? Welcome! This forum contains a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) that new members want answers to. We don't allow new threads to be created so if you have an idea for a new FAQ please post it in the How the FAQs work thread.

FAQ Is Trading the Same as Gambling?

So, to sum up this thread and answer it's question. Trading can be the same as gambling - you can randomly buy and sell stock and hope for luck. And gambling can be like trading - you can place your bets strategically based on statistics and scientific approach.

you got it.its ambiguity and contradictions with statistics as far as the eye can see thrown in.

In y opinion forex trading is not gambling, this is pure business that required good knowledge and also experience to manage money in uncertainty market condition, and to become good trader required good psychology trading

So, to sum up this thread and answer it's question. Trading can be the same as gambling - you can randomly buy and sell stock and hope for luck. And gambling can be like trading - you can place your bets strategically based on statistics and scientific approach.

Good point ......what irritates me is most people associate gambling as a generic term for being irresponsible in speculative activity for financial gain

I' grew up,in the world of gambling and my father and grandfather were pro,gamblers for a,while ......and believe me the pros are as,good,as any successful,trader.......they do,the same things and are professional, disciplined and very very experienced in their market

And .remember gambling has been around a lot lot longer than trading

N:smart:

Yes I think gambing in forex will never long run, because in fact forex trading also need knowledge and also good understanding with market behaviour, relying lucky in trades will never obtained all the time, but if any trader already knowledgeable hence might will near with lucky many times

So if a business hedges currency risk in the forex market due to doing business in another country, it is gambling? I think not.

The forex markets exists not for gambling purposes but for business purposes. Much like a farmer sells soybean contracts to lock in a selling price in the future. The forex market serves an economic function in society, and speculators take the other side of the trade in hopes of profiting. It is not gambling.

So if a business hedges currency risk in the forex market due to doing business in another country, it is gambling? I think not.

The forex markets exists not for gambling purposes but for business purposes. Much like a farmer sells soybean contracts to lock in a selling price in the future. The forex market serves an economic function in society, and speculators take the other side of the trade in hopes of profiting. It is not gambling.

Depends how they hedge it .........if,they are not experienced that will in essence be gambling.......and let's get real here.....I've assisted some large corporates in their hedge stratagies and I can assure you their is always a,strong element of subjectivity in the call re exposure levels and leverage......so,is that gambling ?:smart:

N

Forex is not gambling I thin, although after open tares as trader never know where price will moving ahead, but here still we can learn using technical analysis approach and also fundaental analysis approach and trying to predict trend head based on knowledge

Forex is not gambling I thin, although after open tares as trader never know where price will moving ahead, but here still we can learn using technical analysis approach and also fundaental analysis approach and trying to predict trend head based on knowledge

The thing is that analysis alone won't help you lot. What's also required for successful and non-random trading is understanding of the specific market and how a company that you acquire functions on it. Without this using analysis and looking at trend to predict stock price will be like predicting the weather based on previous year's. You might guess it right, but this doesn't mean the method is working.

The thing is that analysis alone won't help you lot. What's also required for successful and non-random trading is understanding of the specific market and how a company that you acquire functions on it. Without this using analysis and looking at trend to predict stock price will be like predicting the weather based on previous year's. You might guess it right, but this doesn't mean the method is working.

Yes I am noticed, if not always able identity the trend correctly, forex market movement occur because demand and supply in the market and there are so many factor the cause price beng move, so risk management also required to managed account, forex trading included as speculative investment in my view

Yes I am noticed, if not always able identity the trend correctly, forex market movement occur because demand and supply in the market and there are so many factor the cause price beng move, so risk management also required to managed account, forex trading included as speculative investment in my view

By the way, what's your best option for risk managment? I'm quite new at this and haven't figured it out for myself yet.

By the way, what's your best option for risk managment? I'm quite new at this and haven't figured it out for myself yet.

In my trades always put stop loss, which to manage my risk, stop loss will closed if price hit on price where my stop loss placed, but there are certain trader using hedging strategy with open buy and also sell together, but this is not easy for newbie maybe

In my trades always put stop loss, which to manage my risk, stop loss will closed if price hit on price where my stop loss placed, but there are certain trader using hedging strategy with open buy and also sell together, but this is not easy for newbie maybe

Definitely not easy. I've tried to figure out hedging myself, but this has too much to do with complicated things like statistics, probability theory and game theory, so I guess I'll have to skip it for now:confused:

Takes two to gamble. The gambler and the house. Where you have an edge you are the house. :cool:

Definitely not easy. I've tried to figure out hedging myself, but this has too much to do with complicated things like statistics, probability theory and game theory, so I guess I'll have to skip it for now:confused:

Yes indeed, this trade is not easy, and I see so many trader eventually leaving trading because in dificulties, maybe not everyone will suitable with forex business and only for that already addicted in trades they will trying again

Yeah it is unless you have a proper guidance

What do you mean by guidance I wonder? Everyone here on forums seems to aknowledge its importance, yet everyone puts different meanings into this word. Guidance as I see it is kind of a tuition with a bit of examples.

Yes indeed, this trade is not easy, and I see so many trader eventually leaving trading because in dificulties, maybe not everyone will suitable with forex business and only for that already addicted in trades they will trying again

Probably. Or if they get some inner sense to it, like invent their special trading strategy or something.

Probably. Or if they get some inner sense to it, like invent their special trading strategy or something.

I see, in this business namely forex here are success story and also fail story, success stroy might will inspiring many people to trying and following, but fail story might will making people they fear , eventually depending wth each people decision

I see, in this business namely forex here are success story and also fail story, success stroy might will inspiring many people to trying and following, but fail story might will making people they fear , eventually depending wth each people decision

I agree on the "success story part", but the funny thing is that most fail story are not widely well-known (except for the biggest ones). Because of that, most newcomers are brought to this business by prospects of wealth, and swiftly brought down by harsh reality.