Is Trade2win as lifeless as it seems to me?

Is Trade2win as lifeless as it seems?

• Yes, activity has definitely declined.

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Maybe, I’m not here often enough to notice.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • No, it is as active as it has always been.

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
Hi n_t,
The irony here is that, over the years, I have bent over backwards trying to get members to recommend threads to include in the [Best Threads] Stickies. Hardly anyone ever does. If you'd care to break the mould and recommend one of Socrates threads, saying what you think is good about it then, in principle, I have no objection to including it. Bizarrely, you claim (falsely in my view) that T2W prefers quantity over quality. When it comes to [Best Threads], I prefer them to be short because most people have the attention span of a gnat and won't wade through a 1,000 page thread. There are exceptions, obviously, but usually the key message of the thread is conveyed very early on.

So, the call goes out to all members - send me links to any thread you regard as being top quality, saying what you like about it and why it merits [Best Thread] status and I'll certainly consider it. I'm not sure there's much more that I can do really!
Tim.

Long time, Timmy-boy. :) hope all is well

Problem we have here is that over the years, t2w has aligned itself with dodgy people and has also been smeared with brown stuff due to engaging in a few questionable activities. These are facts. Whether this is the case now or if it will be in future I do not know but I've been here for a lot of the lulz.

I posit that the reason people (who actually can) don't help with this sort of thing have no inclination as the favour just isn't returned and also nobody really knows what T2Ws intentions are.

Can I get an A-Men?

Hi n_t,
The irony here is that, over the years, I have bent over backwards trying to get members to recommend threads to include in the [Best Threads] Stickies. Hardly anyone ever does. If you'd care to break the mould and recommend one of Socrates threads, saying what you think is good about it then, in principle, I have no objection to including it. Bizarrely, you claim (falsely in my view) that T2W prefers quantity over quality. When it comes to [Best Threads], I prefer them to be short because most people have the attention span of a gnat and won't wade through a 1,000 page thread. There are exceptions, obviously, but usually the key message of the thread is conveyed very early on.

So, the call goes out to all members - send me links to any thread you regard as being top quality, saying what you like about it and why it merits [Best Thread] status and I'll certainly consider it. I'm not sure there's much more that I can do really!
Tim.

Actually Tim, I didn't claim that T2W prefers quantity over quality, I said its business model works that way...as does any online business that generates income through banner ad clicks. I dare you to deny or disagree with that!

I have been here long enough to know what is ‘popular’ and what isn’t. The last thing this place needs is a best thread from [Someone] (I don’t want to mention names because all the dunces will miss the point...again:rolleyes:)

The majority of people don’t visit this site to learn how to trade, what they are looking for is someone to tell them exactly what and when to buy and when to sell. What you need to do is generate another ‘Set up’ thread filled with pretty pictures of charts riddled with coloured lines and scribble all over them, they are popular threads.

Actually Tim, I didn't claim that T2W prefers quantity over quality, I said its business model works that way...as does any online business that generates income through banner ad clicks. I dare you to deny or disagree with that!

I have been here long enough to know what is ‘popular’ and what isn’t. The last thing this place needs is a best thread from [Someone] (I don’t want to mention names because all the dunces will miss the point...again:rolleyes:)

The majority of people don’t visit this site to learn how to trade, what they are looking for is someone to tell them exactly what and when to buy and when to sell. What you need to do is generate another ‘Set up’ thread filled with pretty pictures of charts riddled with coloured lines and scribble all over them, they are popular threads.

Typical self opinionated rubbish. (n) imho ;)

I thought Socrates threads were popular. They attracted a lot of attention and posts and even spinoff threads.

I don't really see that popular and quality need be opposites - I know you didn't exactly say that new trader, you just said in the majority of cases.

This is a philosophical thread between three or four posters and, as such, I have no problems. It is not objectionable, at least, up to page 14, and those who lose interest have no right to post comments. That is how thread trashing starts.

If Socrates had kept out of threads in which he had no interest, except insulting others with whom he disagreed, I would not object to him. I would have stayed out of his way, as I have done to many others, since he went.

A forum is for "chat". Hopefully, friendly and educative. I would say that we pick the most likely thread to interest us and make comments. We do not expect to be shot down by others simply because we have only five posts to our credit. Five posts may disguise the fact that some have a lot of experience before they started posting.

In my own case, I did not start posting until I retired. Since then I have talked my head off! Doesn't suggest that I am an experienced trader, though. It does suggest that I am not so active as I used to be and dedicate my time, in Spain, to enjoying reading and posting in my native language.

I feel sorry when I see someone being trashed for no real reason and no real evidence, but that is the nature of the anonymity that we believe we enjoy.
Socrates was guilty of that and personal knowledge and intellect is no excuse. Perhaps, Those, like Socrates, would have been happier swimming with their own kind but their egos prefer to appear to be a big fish among the minnows.

There is a lot of wisdom to be found in Alice in Wonderland, but Socrates chose what suited him.

"But I don't want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that! said the Cat. "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad".

How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here".

................This is a philosophical thread between three or four posters and, as such, I have no problems. It is not objectionable, at least, up to page 14, and those who lose interest have no right to post comments. That is how thread trashing starts.................

Yes, the threads by Socrates are a sort of case studies of the thread dynamic that has happened quite often and led to the demise - either forced or voluntary - of the thread opener. It goes something like this:

The thread opens with an interesting piece and all is well, polite and constructive whilst people are exploring what the thread opener is getting at; sooner or later some who disagree enter the fray and given pretty short shrift by the thread opener; those who have disagreed raise the temperature of their disagreement which is still cast aside by the thread opener; frustrated, those who disagree resort to directing their fire to the thread opener as well as the content and the thread opener responds in kind to the personal "attack"; handbags swing, insults fly and..............

as I said a few posts back ..I like T2W because its a community of Traders and Newbies and wannabees all from differnet backgrounds and aspirations .......

sure some of the more serious forums and news channels are a necessity but I also want a forum with some entertainment and gossip and laughs and if we have some decent traders, threads, news and educational areas mixed in as well then all the better.....

i'm not here to find the holy grail but I have been lucky enough to learn a lot from the many threads and Traders over the years and also networked with some great mentors and friends since joining in 2004........

I do think the site could align itself better in dealing with commercial activity and Vendors so that vendors get what they want (an avenue to offer their wares) and the community knows that they are vendors and caveat emptor !

I think if a newbie now comes on this site and follows some of the threads for newbies its up to them if they then walk into the wolfs Den ........we do enough to dissuade them

and for experienced Traders who wish to expand their knowledge or even discuss plato and higher ideals they are old enough to realise the answers are not in T2W's pages .....or anyware else for free for that matter ......so wise up or walk......

N

A forum is for "chat". Hopefully, friendly and educative. I would say that we pick the most likely thread to interest us and make comments. We do not expect to be shot down by others simply because we have only five posts to our credit. Five posts may disguise the fact that some have a lot of experience before they started posting.

In my own case, I did not start posting until I retired. Since then I have talked my head off! Doesn't suggest that I am an experienced trader, though. It does suggest that I am not so active as I used to be and dedicate my time, in Spain, to enjoying reading and posting in my native language.

I feel sorry when I see someone being trashed for no real reason and no real evidence, but that is the nature of the anonymity that we believe we enjoy.
Socrates was guilty of that and personal knowledge and intellect is no excuse. Perhaps, Those, like Socrates, would have been happier swimming with their own kind but their egos prefer to appear to be a big fish among the minnows.

I hope I have never shredded someone for only having a few posts .......if I do challenge it its for what has been said .......

apologies to anyone if this has not been the case in individual circumstances

N

Hi n_t
Naturally, T2W as a business benefits from more members and more posts - no argument there. However, in my opinion, it's still possible to have quality content as the site grows. Granted, it can become harder to find - and that's precisely why the [Best Threads] Stickies were created - to ensure that good content doesn't get lost in a quagmire of less good content.

I don't really understand your objection to the [Best Threads] stickies. Be that as it may, if you have a better idea - let's hear it!

You make a valid point, but T2W can't change the reasons why people come to the site in the first instance - that's completely beyond our control. All we can do is to help steer them in the right direction once they get here. In this regard, I think the site does a pretty good job at highlighting the realities of trading and pointing out that the get rich quick vendors are a complete waste of time and money. That said, we're not complacent about these things. If there's something that we're doing that isn't helpful in this regard or, alternatively, if there's something we're not doing that we could do - then please tell us. As always, constructive criticism and sensible suggestions about what we can do to make the site a better place for all members - is very welcome.
Tim.

Yes, the threads by Socrates are a sort of case studies of the thread dynamic that has happened quite often and led to the demise - either forced or voluntary - of the thread opener. It goes something like this:

The thread opens with an interesting piece and all is well, polite and constructive whilst people are exploring what the thread opener is getting at; sooner or later some who disagree enter the fray and given pretty short shrift by the thread opener; those who have disagreed raise the temperature of their disagreement which is still cast aside by the thread opener; frustrated, those who disagree resort to directing their fire to the thread opener as well as the content and the thread opener responds in kind to the personal "attack"; handbags swing, insults fly and..............

plus ca change......

I hope I have never shredded someone for only having a few posts .......if I do challenge it its for what has been said .......

apologies to anyone if this has not been the case in individual circumstances

N

I'm sure that you have not and it was not my intention to point a finger at anyone, especially as I am human, too. For one thing, the first time poster may have years of experience that I could never match and, if I drive hime off, he'll never do me any good.

I have read the first few posts from the start of that thread.

Correct me if I am wrong but is our ancient friend talking about depth, breadth of volume wrt price.

Or is he simply talking about his trip to the zoo?

Still none the wiser. :rolleyes: :whistling :sleep: :sleep:

I don't know, Atilla, I'm not into waffle and navel gazing so I didn't pay that thread much attention - or if I did at some point I've long since forgotten.
I only put the link up because someone said they couldn't find Socco's posts.
Richard

:LOL: well, the change is that nowadays those who disagree often leap in one bound to the fourth stage.
True.
If the policy changes from excessively liberal toleration (absolutely no disrespect to you,Jon) of rudeness and aggression to nipping hostility in the bud then quality will improve and people won't get driven away. New members won't be put off and will stay, so quantity will rise too.
More hits = more revenue.
Then t2w can be sold off for some serious money......

......and then the other mods can join barjon in the relevatory joy of getting their lives and time back and their heads will stop being sore from banging them against a brick wall :)