Independent Dual Monitors

spc

Pls. help:

I have connected my second monitor successfully. I can transfer applications from the primary one to the secondary.

But I cannot use the second monitor on it's own (independently) If I double click on an application in the 2nd monitor, it pop's up on the 1st monitor.

primary monitor - VGA
second monitor - DVI

Graphics card - 128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory

Tks

If it pops up on the first monitor, minimise it and drag it back to the first monitor, then maximise it again - should solve the problem, unless i've misunderstood it.

rossored said:
If it pops up on the first monitor, minimise it and drag it back to the first monitor, then maximise it again - should solve the problem, unless i've misunderstood it.

tks matt, but that doesn't work

hornblower said:
you need a matrox multi desk graphics card
cost about £80 (about 3 years ago)

so do i need to replace this with my ATI card?
is this easy to install?

I just do no know
the guy just came popped it in , and messed about a bit and bingo
this is just a tool to me , to make me money

when you open the bonnet of my car ,its full of stuff , but I do not know what it all dose
Hornblower

i may have misunderstood you.

my understanding:

you have application is screen 1, but the windows pop up in screen 2?

try looking at the software config - click on the icon of the card in the bottom right by the clock. there could well be some option that decides what screen windows open in. tick the box and you are cured!

hope that helps......

charliechan said:
i may have misunderstood you.

my understanding:

you have application is screen 1, but the windows pop up in screen 2?

try looking at the software config - click on the icon of the card in the bottom right by the clock. there could well be some option that decides what screen windows open in. tick the box and you are cured!

hope that helps......

don't have any card icon's???
basically I want to use my 2nd monitor like a 2nd computer??

Try UltraMon

Try the demo of UltraMon - you can specify for each program which monitor it will start on, have separate taskbars for each monitor, even different wallpapers/screensavers. Very nice app.

-TPO.

I'm not sure you can use your second monitor like a 2nd comp, unless you actually get a 2nd computer. theres always some screen swapping goes on when you run multiple screens on one PC.

have you installed the latest graphics drivers for the gfx gard? my nvidia drivers have some screen management options for dictating what happens on what screen, maybe ATI do something similar.

spc said:
basically I want to use my 2nd monitor like a 2nd computer??
Not at all sure what you are trying to do here. Your second monitor is ...a monitor, not a computer, so you can't use it like something it's not. I run 3 monitors on one computer, if you can explain what it is you are trying to do and cannot I will try to help.
PS Why do you have aplications on you second monitor? How did they get there? What OS are you running?

I think what he is trying to do
is to have cmc runing on one monitor ,with prices and charts and and advfn running on the other
monitor with say the b/b for us stocks
this is what I am doing , and have done for 3 years
and to do it ,you need a multi screen graphics card
ps I have stretched cmc out so that it covers both screen , and you can scroll down to 2 more full size screens , then click on the t2win , and then return to cmc
I need some more screens as 2 is not enough

he means have two separate desktops that do not interact with each other.....i think

hornblower said:
I think what he is trying to do
is to have cmc runing on one monitor ,with prices and charts and and advfn running on the other
monitor with say the b/b for us stocks
this is what I am doing , and have done for 3 years
and to do it ,you need a multi screen graphics card
ps I have stretched cmc out so that it covers both screen , and you can scroll down to 2 more full size screens , then click on the t2win , and then return to cmc
I need some more screens as 2 is not enough

yep, ur right
only it's not cmc and advfn, but etarde and proquote

same thing
make sure the graphics card is compatible with your computer
good luck
Hornblower
ps If you are going to buy a card , get one that runs 3 or 4 screens, you may only run 2screens at the moment , but you will find that the more you have the easier it is

pps go to bottom of the page ,and look at similar threads ,
seems all your answers are there.

Last edited:
Ok understood, my system is capable of that, as hornblower has said the graphics card must support dual monitor, which when looking at cards isn't always as obvious as you might think. For example this is what cnet says in a review of your card.
"The good: Inexpensive; flexible driver software; certain retail packages let you use two monitors at once."
http://reviews.cnet.com/ATI_Radeon_X300_SE_128MB_HyperMemory/4505-8902_7-31406674.html

The bit that was confusing me was the idea of having monitors as totally independent of each other, they are not, you only have one computer, and therefore one mouse, so the mouse cursor must be able to pass from one screen onto the next. the additional monitor(s) should be setup as extensions of your primary monitor with the setting in display properties set to "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"
When you open an application it will likely open on your primary monitor, but as I think it was Mat said take it down from full-screen to half screen or whatever that is called and drag it to the monitor you want it on, when you maximise it, it will fill this monitor and only this monitor..
I run a Radeon 7000 and a Nvidia FX5500, total of 4 outputs, but only use 3

I still don't see how you have icons on monitor 2 unless you dragged some there and thus don't have them on monitor 1 or you are running some sort of software that recreates another set on the second monitor. This suggests to me that your card does not support multi monitor and is simply recreating you desktop on the second monitor. By default all your icons should be on your primary monitor and only your wallpaper should be on the other,
In any case check the setting under Display properties > settings tab and ensure the option to extend your desktop is checked.

PS if you do need to get another card, check with a computer retailer on prices b4 rushing to buy a quad card, dual monitor cards are not that uncommon these days but quad cards such as made by Matrox are still a niche market item and you may be able to get 2 dual pci cards cheaper than one quad.

Last edited:
roguetrader said:
Ok understood, my system is capable of that, as hornblower has said the graphics card must support dual monitor, which when looking at cards isn't always as obvious as you might think. For example this is what cnet says in a review of your card.
"The good: Inexpensive; flexible driver software; certain retail packages let you use two monitors at once."
http://reviews.cnet.com/ATI_Radeon_X300_SE_128MB_HyperMemory/4505-8902_7-31406674.html

The bit that was confusing me was the idea of having monitors as totally independent of each other, they are not, you only have one computer, and therefore one mouse, so the mouse cursor must be able to pass from one screen onto the next. the additional monitor(s) should be setup as extensions of your primary monitor with the setting in display properties set to "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"
When you open an application it will likely open on your primary monitor, but as I think it was Mat said take it down from full-screen to half screen or whatever that is called and drag it to the monitor you want it on, when you maximise it, it will fill this monitor and only this monitor..
I run a Radeon 7000 and a Nvidia FX5500, total of 4 outputs, but only use 3

I still don't see how you have icons on monitor 2 unless you dragged some there and thus don't have them on monitor 1 or you are running some sort of software that recreates another set on the second monitor. This suggests to me that your card does not support multi monitor and is simply recreating you desktop on the second monitor. By default all your icons should be on your primary monitor and only your wallpaper should be on the other,
In any case check the setting under Display properties > settings tab and ensure the option to extend your desktop is checked.

PS if you do need to get another card, check with a computer retailer on prices b4 rushing to buy a quad card, dual monitor cards are not that uncommon these days but quad cards such as made by Matrox are still a niche market item and you may be able to get 2 dual pci cards cheaper than one quad.

tks guys,
appreciate all the help