monitor splitter or graphics card for dual moniters on laptop

WallStreetHero

i am new to this so dnt know nothing about setting up dual monitors or more, i am trading on my laptop but as things got cramped i added a monitor to double the space any my laptop had 1 monitor slot at the back, now i want 3 monitors as i need more space, but there was only 1 slot in my laptop, so i asked my broker at GFT and he told me to get a monitor spliter so i can add 2 more monitors to my laptop. but i have been searching and looking at other threads addressing the dual monitors problems and the answer give is always to add a graphics card or change your one and get a better more powerfull one, so whats the difference in getting a monitor spliter and adding a graphics card.

i have found this one so far which looks good
CABLESTAR VGA 1X MALE TO 2X FEMALE MONITOR SPLITTER CABLE LEAD review cheap prices VGA 1X MALE TO 2X FEMALE MONITOR SPLITTER CABLE LEAD CABLESTAR best buy discount online uk shop

i am new to this so dnt know nothing about setting up dual monitors or more, i am trading on my laptop but as things got cramped i added a monitor to double the space any my laptop had 1 monitor slot at the back, now i want 3 monitors as i need more space, but there was only 1 slot in my laptop, so i asked my broker at GFT and he told me to get a monitor spliter so i can add 2 more monitors to my laptop. but i have been searching and looking at other threads addressing the dual monitors problems and the answer give is always to add a graphics card or change your one and get a better more powerfull one, so whats the difference in getting a monitor spliter and adding a graphics card.

i have found this one so far which looks good
CABLESTAR VGA 1X MALE TO 2X FEMALE MONITOR SPLITTER CABLE LEAD review cheap prices VGA 1X MALE TO 2X FEMALE MONITOR SPLITTER CABLE LEAD CABLESTAR best buy discount online uk shop

A cable splitter would allow you to have 2 monitors but they will both display exactly the same desktop and there is nothing you can do about it because it is the same signal going to both monitors. Adding a graphics card will allow you to have 2 monitors with a choice of either displaying a different desktop on each (an extended desktop) or each displaying the same desktop.

r u sure about that, because i went to my stockbrokers office and i checked the back of the computers and they are using monitor spliters to use dual screens, i even had a go on one computer and looked fine.

th2go_angle.jpg

this thing can setup 3 monitors on single pc

r u sure about that, because i went to my stockbrokers office and i checked the back of the computers and they are using monitor spliters to use dual screens, i even had a go on one computer and looked fine.

Yes, I'm sure. That is what a 'splitter' does otherwise it shouldn't be called a splitter.

Read the specs on the website:

-Brand New - Retail bagged
-Fits any standard VGA port
-Connect 2 monitors to one pc showing the same display
-High quality, fully moulded

my broker, GFT keeps telling me the monitor splitter will work fine for me as you have to change the settings,. i have spoken to a few guys there and they say the same things and use the same plug for the screens.
i told them that on the website it says '' Connect 2 monitors to one pc showing the same display'' and they said they are always advertised as that or says clone view on them.
they sent me this link with some info,
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

my broker, GFT keeps telling me the monitor splitter will work fine for me as you have to change the settings,. i have spoken to a few guys there and they say the same things and use the same plug for the screens.
i told them that on the website it says '' Connect 2 monitors to one pc showing the same display'' and they said they are always advertised as that or says clone view on them.
they sent me this link with some info,
MultiMonitor Support and Windows Vista

tell me ur pc configuration and what graphic card u r using

Ok, I'm always ready to learn something new plus I also enjoy magic. The VGA spec was designed by IBM in 1987 (a time where it was rare for someone to have one computer with one monitor) and looking at the pin outs I can’t see where they have made an allowance for 2 separate signals to be sent down one wire. Maybe Vista can perform some sort of ‘magic’ and multiplex the signal to each monitor. But monitors are ‘dumb’, meaning they have no microchip or switching system or software to tell them which signal is theirs.

You see, the 3 primary colours used to produce the choice of millions of different colours for your indicators are RED, GREEN and BLUE. The monitor will always look on Pin 1 for Red video, Pin 2 for Green video and Pin 3 for Blue video. I don’t see any Red 1 and Red 2 etc.

Here is the pin out for the VGA connector.

Pin 1 RED Red video
Pin 2 GREEN Green video
Pin 3 BLUE Blue video
Pin 4 N/C Not connected
Pin 5 GND Ground (HSync)
Pin 6 RED_RTN Red return
Pin 7 GREEN_RTN Green return
Pin 8 BLUE_RTN Blue return
Pin 9 +5 V +5 V DC
Pin 10 GND Ground (VSync, DDC)
Pin 11 N/C Not connected
Pin 12 SDA I²C data
Pin 13 HSync Horizontal sync
Pin 14 VSync Vertical sync
Pin 15 SCL I²C clock

But the cable splitter only costs £ 3.17 Inc. VAT which is a small price to pay to prove me right……(or wrong)

Ok, I'm always ready to learn something new

You see, the 3 primary colours used to produce the choice of millions of different colours for your indicators are RED, GREEN and BLUE. The monitor will always look on Pin 1 for Red video, Pin 2 for Green video and Pin 3 for Blue video. I don’t see any Red 1 and Red 2 etc.

Here is the pin out for the VGA connector.

Pin 1 RED Red video
Pin 2 GREEN Green video
Pin 3 BLUE Blue video
Pin 4 N/C Not connected
Pin 5 GND Ground (HSync)
Pin 6 RED_RTN Red return
Pin 7 GREEN_RTN Green return
Pin 8 BLUE_RTN Blue return
Pin 9 +5 V +5 V DC
Pin 10 GND Ground (VSync, DDC)
Pin 11 N/C Not connected
Pin 12 SDA I²C data
Pin 13 HSync Horizontal sync
Pin 14 VSync Vertical sync
Pin 15 SCL I²C clock

But the cable splitter only costs £ 3.17 Inc. VAT which is a small price to pay to prove me right……(or wrong)

The Matrox system is not a straightforward splitter like we are used to. By reading the site, what this does is sets up the video card so that it thinks it has one giant monitor. It then takes this one picture, and sends specific portions of this one monitor through each output on the external Matrox box so that it does split the signal, only not an identical split so that all monitors display the same information. I would think this would result in a lower resolution if one video card would have to provide the output for a giant screen and then this screen is "split" into three different monitors. Sounds like a neat solution, but I would think at the price of lower resolution.

Multiple Monitor Setup Guide: Splitter vs. Graphics Card

A splitter just gives you the same signal. You want a graphics card setup because you want them to function independently, in a symbiotic fashion.

Last edited by a moderator: