I'm a masochist & it's hurting my trading :(

Screen trading is not hard physical work at all.

I didnt suggest that it was physically hard word. I simply stated that it was hard work.

If people want to delude themselves that its not, then thats good news as far as I'm concerned.

Masq, why are you staring at screens so many hours. why not trade smaller timeframes and close out ALL positions End Of Day. switch off screens and go do something else ? you sound as obsessed as Trade Dante...:|

Masq, why are you staring at screens so many hours. why not trade smaller timeframes and close out ALL positions End Of Day. switch off screens and go do something else ? you sound as obsessed as Trade Dante...:|

I'm probably a bit OCD and if i'm in a trade i'm not such a big fan of walking off and leaving it (I have done this in losing positions, but not for profitable/breaking even trades.) I'm also a bit concerned about missing out on things so would rather not be away from a screen for long periods of time in the day.

I'm mainly trading off a 30 min & 1 hr chart - i'm not sure if you classify that as smaller timeframes. I traded off the 15 min charts the other week. I did about 70 trades over 1 pair and ended up making a little bit over the week. It's a lot of money to be giving away in spread. I have tried the closing all positions at the end of day. Just the question is: what is the end of day? Is it 5pm? 6pm? When I go to sleep? I've tried to be flat when I go to sleep but that has resulted in closing positions gone 2am in the past.

I did originally start off with indices before going to FX. Is the logic that the hours are more structured? I've seen that the FTSE prices still trade gone 16:30. I'm also thinking that in order to trade indices there's a lot more variables to contend with; because not only is there the macro-economic data, then I have to be aware of all the micro news such asa major trading statements/finals of companies which have an impact on the market eg. Rio Tinto/BHP/the big financials etc.

It's an idea and I have considered it before, just the lower costs and being 24hrs of FX appealed to me.

A little update for my hater fans - up about 1% for the day despite a bit of a bumpy start. Much work still needed though :innocent:

Last edited:
but with fx you also got loads of stuff behind the scenes that u r never goin to know about like big orders into fixes or if someone is short a load of gamma before a cut or sumthin, and obvious all the flows of normal day things that u r just never goin to know about.

with index futures it would be dead easy just to get somethin like ninjatrader (not great but ok) and a datafeed for the constituent stocks and be able to have set start and finish times and better quality informaion like volumes and stuff... because like just having graphs up all day long and occaisionally lookin at them and goin "oh thats a head and shoulders" is not really trading goodly IMO

If you want to reduce complexity, trade individual FTSE100 stocks. These are much more predictable and the trade finishes at 4:30 on the dot. Although, on occasions you'd still get run over by the macro economic freight train.

If you want to reduce complexity, trade individual FTSE100 stocks. These are much more predictable and the trade finishes at 4:30 on the dot. Although, on occasions you'd still get run over by the macro economic freight train.

You seem like a nice bloke Joe, but really, you are 'talking' when you really ought to be 'listening'. You have no idea how ridiculous this post of yours is.

You seem like a nice bloke Joe, but really, you are 'talking' when you really ought to be 'listening'. You have no idea how ridiculous this post of yours is.

Rather than the personal attack, why not tell me where I went wrong. Then we can all learn from you. I buy stocks and I find them more predictable than the indices, and they are by far less volatile. Is my experience invalid ?

Rather than the personal attack, why not tell me where I went wrong. Then we can all learn from you. I buy stocks and I find them more predictable than the indices. Is my experience invalid ?

You constantly prove it is a waste of time by the way you interpret things generally, like my post. It is clear that I attacked the post, it wasn't personal at all. I even called you a nice bloke and said THE POST was ridiculous...read it again, and again, until it 'lands'.

You constantly prove it is a waste of time by the way you interpret things generally, like my post. It is clear that I attacked the post, it wasn't personal at all. I even called you a nice bloke and said THE POST was ridiculous...read it again, and again, until it 'lands'.

You are a nicer bloke than I am. Since you are attacking my behavior, that's pretty personal. If you think what I post is bad for the forum, then feel free to report me for a ban. As you are not forthcoming with why my view was wrong, I have to conclude you have no clue on what you are talking about.

If you don't like my posting style, put me on ignore or get me banned. On an open forum it's not practical to tell someone to shutup. As I have rather thick skin, you can't shame me into it.

You are a nicer bloke than I am. Since you are attacking my behavior, that's pretty personal. If you think what I post is bad for the forum, then feel free to report me for a ban. As you are not forthcoming with why my view was wrong, I have to conclude you have no clue on what you are talking about.

If you don't like my posting style, put me on ignore or get me banned. On an open forum it's not practical to tell someone to shutup.

F*ck me you are hard work! Let me try and say it in a way that there can be no confusion. After reading the advice you have given in this thread and others it is clear to me that you don't have a good grasp of economics,trading or investing. I advise anyone who reads your advice to ignore it. I advise you to do more learning before giving any more advice. I apologize if this offends you.

F*ck me you are hard work! Let me try and say it in a way that there can be no confusion. After reading the advice you have given in this thread and others it is clear to me that you don't have a good grasp of economics,trading or investing. I advise anyone who reads your advice to ignore it. I advise you to do more learning before giving any more advice. I apologize if this offends you.

Yes, you are free to advice, and people are free to listen. As you still haven''t come up with anything to demonstrate why my view was wrong, I won't bother reading your past posts to see if you know what you are talking about. Clearly you don't.

Why are you worried people might listen to someone called a Beginner Joe ?

OP:

Sorry for the thread jack. But some basic principles are at stake. I am now done with new_trader.

There are fewer people involved in trading individual stocks, compared to forex or indices. So I believe the number of variables you have to deal with is smaller, consequently the complexity is reduced. However this also translates to lack of movement in stock prices. So it all comes down to the level of activity needed while trading. Trading stocks does mean you have a cut off in the day when the work can be considered over, not withstanding any additional research you have to do after market.

There are fewer people involved in trading individual stocks, compared to forex or indices. So I believe the number of variables you have to deal with is smaller, consequently the complexity is reduced. However this also translates to lack of movement in stock prices. So it all comes down to the level of activity needed while trading. Trading stocks does mean you have a cut off in the day when the work can be considered over, not withstanding any additional research you have to do after market.

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

As at 15:43 - Total Volume on E-mini S&P500 = 710,000 (710 thousand)

Total Volume of SPY an INDIVIDUAL STOCK ETF based on the S&P500 index = 32,986,097 (32 MIllion)

Total Volume Amazon.com (AMZN) an S&P500 company= 861,398
E-mini S&P 500 Futures Index = 728,841

Total Volume: Bank of America Corporation (BAC)= 46,551,067 (46 Million)
E-mini S&P 500 Futures Index = 735,740 (735 thousand)