I'm a masochist & it's hurting my trading :(

Hi Masq,

Are you able to have your method programmed? That way if your trading is automated, the decisions are all made for you and there is no chance of your emotions messing things up. There is very little that can't be programmed. It may not be able to trade exactly how you trade discretionally but it could easily eliminate those big losses where you've doubled up or whatever. If you still had to trade out of boredom you could do it on a small money account like Barjon suggested. I was the same - my emotions affected my trades, mainly holding on to losers, or ditching winners because they came back against me a bit, only for them to fly off in the right direction once I closed. That's why my trading is purely automated now. I don't want to take the risk of messing things up again. What do you think?

Sam.

Be tough

Attachments

• Ferengi.png
    Ferengi.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 701
You will get all kinds of advice and you deserve it. Some will tell you to get more control of yourself, but point is they don't know what you're passing through. Your trouble was with me for my first 2 years :), I got a full and final solution for you. Open a micro account with maybe $200 ( a demo won't do), then take all your vengeance on that micro, go mad at it and kick the devil the most you like there, but when you spot a good trade opportunity, pull your REAL account and open the trade with TP and SL, then shut it down and play with your curative Micro. This would do you a wealth of good. Just try this at home or school - everywhere!

I just looked at the OP and didn't bother reading anything else, but I thought I should point out that it isn't anything to do with masochism - it's a total lack of drive and inability to take responsibility that is your problem.

Incidentally I don't need to read the OP because I know what masq is actually like, not like whatever his latest excuse is claiming he is like.

(That may have sounded harsh, and it is maybe. masq is a really nice bloke. But he's also pathetic)

oh one more thing... like i dont know ur situation but do you trade from home? because a quite important thing is like to have a space (and computer hardware obv) dedicated only to trading only, because if like u are trading just from your laptop on the coffee table then "work" and "rest" boundaries all break down and its hard to like stick to the plan when holly willowbooby is on the telly.

rooting for you buddy :)

Yes, I trade from home and I tend to use one computer with another screen during the day. But then I switch to another computer and have the trading screens up and have a habit to keep an eye on things till I go to sleep. So I can be looking at the charts from something like 8am to 3am and repeat. So there's not a whole lot of balance. I have sometimes woken up in the middle of the night, sleeping for an hour so to check on stuff but i'm going to try stop that. Thanks for the wishes.

As for Mr arabian....thank you for making a comeback post in my thread. I haven't much to say about it, except you're wrong and i''ll prove it. I'm not even going to question my drive when i've pulled some stupid hours and this thread is evidence of taking self-responsibility so that's all i'll say in regards to your comments. gl.

ps. Chocolate/rawrschach - you're a dick who failed. Get bent and stop hating on me when we no longer speak and you know nothing about me. Don't be a coward and try spread **** about me behind my back.

Hi Masq,

Are you able to have your method programmed? That way if your trading is automated, the decisions are all made for you and there is no chance of your emotions messing things up. There is very little that can't be programmed. It may not be able to trade exactly how you trade discretionally but it could easily eliminate those big losses where you've doubled up or whatever. If you still had to trade out of boredom you could do it on a small money account like Barjon suggested. I was the same - my emotions affected my trades, mainly holding on to losers, or ditching winners because they came back against me a bit, only for them to fly off in the right direction once I closed. That's why my trading is purely automated now. I don't want to take the risk of messing things up again. What do you think?

Sam.

Is it possible to program some of it? Yes, it probably is. Can I do it myself? I wouldn't really know where to start. Although there are discretionary elements to my trading which requires me to make decisions and I wouldn't know where to start with that and how to program it into an EA or whatever people use. I'd love to automate it and not be by a screen, but reality is I don't know how successful it'd be and where to start apart from trying to explain it to some guy to write a code for me.

r u a student?

b-cos like watching graphs for 8 - 3 (19 hrs) is not really subdusive of good trading. I mean like what is yoru normal job or life?

Yes, I trade from home and I tend to use one computer with another screen during the day. But then I switch to another computer and have the trading screens up and have a habit to keep an eye on things till I go to sleep. So I can be looking at the charts from something like 8am to 3am and repeat. So there's not a whole lot of balance. I have sometimes woken up in the middle of the night, sleeping for an hour so to check on stuff but i'm going to try stop that. Thanks for the wishes.

As for Mr arabian....thank you for making a comeback post in my thread. I haven't much to say about it, except you're wrong and i''ll prove it. I'm not even going to question my drive when i've pulled some stupid hours and this thread is evidence of taking self-responsibility so that's all i'll say in regards to your comments. gl.

ps. Chocolate/rawrschach - you're a dick who failed. Get bent and stop hating on me when we no longer speak and you know nothing about me. Don't be a coward and try spread **** about me behind my back.

no I'm not wrong, sorry. You're confusing effort with being awake a long time!

I suppose it is possible I am wrong if you are behaving completely differently to how I think you're behaving. I do leave that option open, and in many ways I hope I'm wrong. But I don't think you're working at all hard, I really don't.

P.S. Heading to bed now but tomorrow get in touch - I've been banned from pokerstars for collaboration :LOL:

P.P.S. Mr rawschach is a decent chap who hasn't failed at anything afaik

no I'm not wrong, sorry. You're confusing effort with being awake a long time!

I suppose it is possible I am wrong if you are behaving completely differently to how I think you're behaving. I do leave that option open, and in many ways I hope I'm wrong. But I don't think you're working at all hard, I really don't.

P.S. Heading to bed now but tomorrow get in touch - I've been banned from pokerstars for collaboration :LOL:

P.P.S. Mr rawschach is a decent chap who hasn't failed at anything afaik

I believe that i'm driven and have put in the effort to improve and become more successful. I have seen the results and proven it to myself. Except every now and then i've done something very damaging and set myself back - that is what i'm trying to eliminate.

Sitting on one's **** clicking buttons is never going to be working hard. We all know that trading is a somewhat lazy activity (yes it can be stressful/mentally tiring) but it's a way of making a lot of money without having to do much.

p.s were you collaborating?

p.p.s - I thought he was decent but he's proven to me lately that he's not, by trying to take cheap shots at me & he did fail by virtue of getting a job at Futex and then being booted. When he had the nerve to take a cheap shot about my attempt with Futex it just kind of smacks of hypocrisy and I never put the knife in. I have nothing else to comment on that any more as it's not a productive use of time.

wat? thats not even in them zen books.

Detachment from the self :LOL:

Hmmm, too much self doubt. Not a good sign.

oh I dunno...accepting the reality that you're just one of 7 billion fragile and mortal human beings on this planet, and that nothing the majority of us do actually means 5hit, ain't such a bad thing..

I am nothing.

Arn't you the chappy who sat to my left hand side when we had dinner one evening.

Stop trading for a month and go and do anything else but trading. Find your self and your life.

Then I'd recommend mid August come back to it again. Enjoy the summer.

If you are at a short end as to what to do with your self. Go and help some old lady cross the road, charity or work or paint cycle lanes or something. Pick strawberries.

Watching screens all day and at night. WTF is wrong with you. What ever it is it's not right.

STOP IT RIGHT NOW. DON'T know DON'T care just effing stop what ever you are doing.

You are the pure definition of a gambler and you've lost your soul to the devil my boy... Go back to your roots! You know where I'm coming from don't you?

Wow Masquerade - I've re-read this blog and it kind of sounds dramatic & scary but I'll leave it see what effect it has. I meant it when I wrote it though. Inclination was to delete but hey what the heck.

Best wishes dude,

You could also go to the library and read the book on Who Moved My Cheese as it is all about change.

(y)

Last edited:
Sitting on one's **** clicking buttons is never going to be working hard. We all know that trading is a somewhat lazy activity (yes it can be stressful/mentally tiring) but it's a way of making a lot of money without having to do much.

You are surely taking the **** ! The effot required to make a living trading is beyond most peoples comprehension.

You are surely taking the **** ! The effot required to make a living trading is beyond most peoples comprehension.

It's not easy. But it's not "hard work". I've had this discussion in other places and i'm really not going there, at least not in this thread. Hard work is working in a factory for 12 hours or working as a nurse in ICU etc. I'm really not going there, but if you care to think that i'm happy for you to believe it.

Screen trading is not hard physical work at all. I did a couple of weeks of it and turn into a vegetable. This kind of work is severely physically degenerative. New comers should be careful.

Arn't you the chappy who sat to my left hand side when we had dinner one evening.

Stop trading for a month and go and do anything else but trading. Find your self and your life.

Then I'd recommend mid August come back to it again. Enjoy the summer.

If you are at a short end as to what to do with your self. Go and help some old lady cross the road, charity or work or paint cycle lanes or something. Pick strawberries.

Watching screens all day and at night. WTF is wrong with you. What ever it is it's not right.

STOP IT RIGHT NOW. DON'T know DON'T care just effing stop what ever you are doing.

You are the pure definition of a gambler and you've lost your soul to the devil my boy... Go back to your roots! You know where I'm coming from don't you?

Wow Masquerade - I've re-read this blog and it kind of sounds scary but I'll leave it see what effect it has. I meant it when I wrote it though. Inclination was to delete but hey what the heck.

Best wishes dude,

You could also go to the library and read the book on Who Moved My Cheese as it is all about change.

(y)

Thanks for the post, i'm glad you didn't delete.

Yes, that was me you met when we had that T2W meet in town. Something did happen a few weeks ago and I realised that I needed balance in life as I was missing out on a lot of things due to pursuing the route of trading and not having much fun. Everything's about balance: making money is a useless pursuit if it's not balanced with enjoying one's self every now and then which I have realised i've neglected.

My circumstances don't really allow me to take a month off at the moment and if I were to take a month off, I think i'd struggle to find something to fill my time with as i'm somewhat restricted. I have considered taking a month or two off to take a break from it and something else but i'm looking into it.

I'm trying to get my trading more structured and keep hours which allow me a more "normal" life and the opportunity to have some down-time rather than walking around with a computer and watching the markets all day. First i'll see how my changes go and if I can get my account going back up in the right direction and then i'll make some other big decisions.

I believe the only 'swipe' I've taken is that you don't have a very high opinion of yourself.

In possibly less kindly words. Evidently from this thread, I'm not alone in that opinion.

I believe the only 'swipe' I've taken is that you don't have a very high opinion of yourself.

In possibly less kindly words. Evidently from this thread, I'm not alone in that opinion.

October 2009 - you took a cheap shot at me about my futex interview when you made your name change so I didn't even know it was you (as I knew you under the alias of chocolate13) , nor did you have the guts to admit you had changed your alias. Then you just decide to go and rep arabian's post which called me "pathetic" whilst you didn't add anything constructive but just did it as a cheap shot which is kind of pathetic considering we last had contact about 2 years ago.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding a high opinion of myself. If you're referring to the "i'm nothing" comment then it's been lost in translation. If you're referring to what Arabian said then it's something else. Either way, i'm not going to waste my day getting bogged down in this stuff. I'm not THAT bored.