If I knew then what (I think) I know now...

I would have known to start writing a journal early on. It has been a massive help.

I grade my trades A-C. I want to see my percentage of A graders increasing every month.
Writing about what I did right and wrong and what I will do next time.

Not just the technical but how I performed, did I jump the gun in entry or take profits to early, was I fearful, how did I feel?

D'ya know, I sit here, watching a bit of telly, whilst watching my charts on this netbook, (ooh ooh look!! My GBP/CHF swing short has gone into profit, whooppee fookin doo!) Got my laptop to the left of me, with the platform primed ready to monitor the opening of the Asian session, before bed at 1am (ish) realising (once again) how ridiculous what we * do* is...

And that's an important rubicon to cross; once you loosen up about trading and embrace the stupidity and utter pointlessness of it all you're nearing the right state of mind imho..It is fookin mad isn't it? :)

you know black swan when you talk about trading its like gareth from the office talking about being in the SAS or whatever.

I would have known to start writing a journal early on. It has been a massive help.

I grade my trades A-C. I want to see my percentage of A graders increasing every month.
Writing about what I did right and wrong and what I will do next time.

Not just the technical but how I performed, did I jump the gun in entry or take profits to early, was I fearful, how did I feel?

I puked on 2 journals, can't see the point of a 'trading diary'. But heh, it it works for you, helps you focus, then all's good..

Dash, or whatever the fook you're calling yourself these days, you're probably still at the stage where you get a little man wee every time you grab a few pips so you can buy your next Pot Noodle...Now you know I've got you on ignore, (because you're a boring whopper), so don't do your usual 5hit-house 'hit and run' posting trick eh? There's a good lad..

Dash, or whatever the fook you're calling yourself these days, you're probably still at the stage where you get a little man wee every time you grab a few pips so you can buy your next Pot Noodle...Now you know I've got you on ignore, (because you're a boring whopper), so don't do your usual 5hit-house 'hit and run' posting trick eh? There's a good lad..

tell you what black swan, lets start a thread for you and me.

no live trade calls (that doesnt work for me because of the trade frequency, and it doesnt work for you because you dont trade or/and lose money) but just explanations and thoughts about markets as they are developing.

i did this in the competition blog and i do it in fonzes blog so i can do it in yours to.

p.s. pls someone quote me so black swan can't avoid my sayings?

tnx

tell you what black swan, lets start a thread for you and me.

no live trade calls (that doesnt work for me because of the trade frequency, and it doesnt work for you because you dont trade or/and lose money) but just explanations and thoughts about markets as they are developing.

i did this in the competition blog and i do it in fonzes blog so i can do it in yours to.

There you go. :)

What most traders do not realize is that markets are fractals, and the larger trend wins out 99% of the time. Also, to be successful with technical indicators you have to know if markets are trending or if they are in consolidation. Technical indicators work very well if you are on the right time frame and the market is in consolidation. The flip side of this is that when markets are trending then technical indicators can stay overbought or oversold for a really long time............In fact technical indicators in trending markets can give really good buy or sell signals even when they are under 20 or over 80 for pullbacks........

Good Trading,
JahDave

could you kill 3 ninjas wit your bare hands?

What most traders do not realize is that markets are fractals, and the larger trend wins out 99% of the time. Also, to be successful with technical indicators you have to know if markets are trending or if they are in consolidation. Technical indicators work very well if you are on the right time frame and the market is in consolidation. The flip side of this is that when markets are trending then technical indicators can stay overbought or oversold for a really long time............In fact technical indicators in trending markets can give really good buy or sell signals even when they are under 20 or over 80 for pullbacks........

Good Trading,
JahDave

I agree with just about all of that, except the use of the term fractals..;) Finding indicators for swing trading that indicate bullish or bearish sentiment, and adjusting it to stay in the trade (and on the right side of that sentiment) *works*

There you go. :)

Jeez, I thought mid term was over? Crackrock I'm not fookin interested in you or anything you have to say. What is it with these pathetic schoolboy challenges, any forum time I spend on here I'll spend it how I want to, not how others want me to..comprende? I don't see my future in the same way you sandpit dreamers do, irrespective of the rewards the mechanics and lifestyle impact of trading does not offer me enough, I'm capable of more..

If you actually traded you'd understand the sentiment I voiced last night, it's a dilemma a lot of consistently successful traders experience, "is this it?" I'm watching it all kicking off in the M.E. folk piling up on the borders of Egypt and Tunisia, scrambling for food and a future better than 2 dollars a day and I'm sitting there waiting to see if the news announcement re. Aussie GDP bleeds onto my charts and effects my short Aus trades..In terms of this thread it was a perfectly adequate observation; I wish I'd known I'd be looking in at my positions from 7am to 1am and have to adapt my lifestyle to accomodate this, there is no glamour and there is no alternative.

But you, Pazzy and Dave have to swoop, attempt to score cheap points and moreover attempt to de-rail the thread, as you and they do with most threads with what you think is humour..Dave kinda has an excuse, given his illness and addictions, perhaps your condition is similar but tbh you and your ilk are tiresome. If you want to troll and play games go over to Dave's ickle forum and knock yourselves..

Well after buying a faster PC and spending many hours learning how to code my ideas into EAs in MQL4 and backtesting them all with different optimisation variables then adding in more out of series data I have come to the conclusion that no approach is consistently profitable and worth trading. I have looked at trading pullbacks in upward trends, bounces off Bollinger bands, breaks from bollinger bands, stochastic crosses, and many many more trading setup ideas - all with different types of profit taking and in different time periods. So what I would do now if I could turn back the clock would be to buy property rather than waste thousands of hours and thousands of pounds trying to find some Nirvana trading approach. I think that the markets are so heavily traded and in so many different ways that if an edge seems to be present for a while it won't be for when you try to trade it. Also the human mind is very adept in seeing patterns in noise. So my conclusion is simply to look elsewhere to make your money eg property purchase and hold or ideally capitalising on a talent you have - this is also more rewarding that getting money from the markets.

Reminds me of a quote;

"If a person starts off with an incorrect premise, it is practically impossible to ever get to the goal they seek."

This is why hard work, determination and countless hours at a screen, doesn't necessarily equate to trading success.

Reminds me of a quote;

"If a person starts off with an incorrect premise, it is practically impossible to ever get to the goal they seek."

This is why hard work, determination and countless hours at a screen, doesn't necessarily equate to trading success.

Good point..

Well after buying a faster PC and spending many hours learning how to code my ideas into EAs in MQL4 and backtesting them all with different optimisation variables then adding in more out of series data I have come to the conclusion that no approach is consistently profitable and worth trading. I have looked at trading pullbacks in upward trends, bounces off Bollinger bands, breaks from bollinger bands, stochastic crosses, and many many more trading setup ideas - all with different types of profit taking and in different time periods. So what I would do now if I could turn back the clock would be to buy property rather than waste thousands of hours and thousands of pounds trying to find some Nirvana trading approach. I think that the markets are so heavily traded and in so many different ways that if an edge seems to be present for a while it won't be for when you try to trade it. Also the human mind is very adept in seeing patterns in noise. So my conclusion is simply to look elsewhere to make your money eg property purchase and hold or ideally capitalising on a talent you have - this is also more rewarding that getting money from the markets.

This kind of post really upsets me.

Because it makes me sad and also somewhat frustrated when people can't get profitable and give up.