I want to quit my job so I can stare at blinking numbers every day

If you hate your job and are going to quite anyway, then why not trade while working. You might get fired...but at least until you get caught you can make some money for backup.

Trust me when i say this...if you trade for a living, and you have no other source of income, you will find out just how hard it really is. Your mind will play tricks on you, no matter if you think it will or not....it most certainly will. Put yourself in a position where if you lose $50k in a year, you will not be hurt. And make sure you can live comfortable enough to where if you lose that $50k, then your lifestyle doesn't change. If you can do that, and stay calm while trading I think you can learn a lot. But our education as traders end up costing us as much as a doctors education....just that we learn from experience and our money going to other professional traders :) The best learning experience is on your own with real money. In simulated....everyone is a millionaire...just remember that.

This thread should be called...

"I'm a hopeless gambler but by calling myself a trader i give myself one hell of an excuse to gamble like a fiend and then return to work because i'm only young and don't have any other source of income to keep me afloat"

Trust me when i say this...if you trade for a living, and you have no other source of income, you will find out just how hard it really is.

He said he is going to do bar work in the afternoon so he will have another source of income.

I reckon he should do snake oil vending in the afternoon instead, as he will make more money. 'Pay me £500 for half a day and watch me trade' , that kind of stuff.

He could start a thread on trade2win, and claim his 'Vendor badge of shame'. Post some pretty charts of great hindsight setups for the day. He could even boast on his marketing website of how he gave up his high flying city career to become a full time trader and coach.

Hi,

Would appreciate some thoughts on my life:

Just turned 24 years old, work in London, square mile, earn $80k/year - but the work means nothing to me. That said, I can't think of an alternative career or business idea to pursue. I strongly feel that I am sleep walking through life towards death. I work quite a lot of hours each week and I find it difficult to form any social life as result. By London standards my hours are probably a couple of notches above average - the world has lost work/life balance in my opinion (I digress).

I am single, no kids, no wife, no responsibilities except to myself and so financially I feel quite rich - but what is the point in this existence I ask myself? I can hardly take it any more.

I am compelled to quit my job so that I can sit at home from 7am - 11:30am every day staring at, specifically, the orderbook and T&S for eurostoxx 50. No charts. No fundamental knowledge. Never trading economic numbers.

I would like to do this for 12 months, using the ninja trader simulator, possibly making no trades whatsoever during that time. If at the end of 12 months I have convinced myself that I can successfully scalp the market, I will start putting money at stake (velocity futures, 1.48EUR round turn commissions all in w/ X-trader, if I understand correctly, which is the best I've seen).

Otherwise, I will give up on the dream.

So what do I do after 11:30am? My intention was to work behind a local bar, helping to pay for living costs and simultaneously placing myself in a more social setting.

This isn't the first time I've sought a second opinion - it's such a big decision though that I'll take all the thoughts I can get.

Much appreciated for anyone who has the time to read and respond

Sounds like you might just be a bit depressed with entering the working world. You've only been in a job for about a year ffs. Gotta grow up sometime, dude.
If all you care about is money then figure where you think you have the best shot of making the most. If you care about the work then look for a new job that you'll enjoy and maybe you can find some way to subsidise any foregone salary. If you want to trade then it go for it. Anyway, as an outside party, I can't see how quitting your job to learn to trade (whilst working in a bar?) is going to help you at all... but then I'm an absolute coward.

Last edited:
dreamers--go to work --trade part time if you must but don`t screw up a career/job --you`ve got a lot of working years ahead and its hard enough already with a clean CV. Trading is not the easy option people think it is.Seems everyone fancies the cityboy tag without the job to go with it.

He said he is going to do bar work in the afternoon so he will have another source of income.

I reckon he should do snake oil vending in the afternoon instead, as he will make more money. 'Pay me £500 for half a day and watch me trade' , that kind of stuff.

He could start a thread on trade2win, and claim his 'Vendor badge of shame'. Post some pretty charts of great hindsight setups for the day. He could even boast on his marketing website of how he gave up his high flying city career to become a full time trader and coach.

LOL is that supposed to be directed at me or just in general? I don't claim to be anyone's master coach or teacher....I just give trades the way I trade them...and before hand too (y)

I've been working 11 years and also feel the same. its a drudge, a drag. but thats LIFE. the job market is the worst its been in 20 years....if you have a family you need to provide for them and you cannot go making rash decisions.

I suppose you are young, free and single but just consider the damage you could do to your future. its a dream to click a few buttons and be your own boss

Thanks all, really pleased with the response. Will weigh it all up carefully tonight, and for several days/weeks to come.

Don't think too long and hard about it. You may just talk yourself out of it and miss all the excitement that we experience on a daily basis. Cant beat it. (y);)

Everyone:
Thank you very much for your replies. I appreciated them all very much.
This was, I assure you, an entirely serious post, and has influenced my decision not to abandon my career and turn my hand to trading.
Statistically speaking the majority of 'traders' fail. I am young and things are already going well for me in a financial sense. If I keep on point, by 30, maybe I will be the man I always wanted to be.

Currently I don't worry about how much I spend on food, or how much I spend on a night out, or what the monthly house bills are. This is something I just take for granted now but I would seriously miss it, I guess, if I resorted to working behind a bar so that I could take a shot at trading. At the end of the day the trading style I had in mind amounted quite literally to staring at blinking numbers and periodically hitting buy and sell - it doesn't sound enticing put in that light.

As far as I am concerned this thread - which has meant a great deal to me - is now closed.

Everyone:
This was, I assure you, an entirely serious post, and has influenced my decision not to abandon my career and turn my hand to trading.
Statistically speaking the majority of 'traders' fail. I am young and things are already going well for me in a financial sense. If I keep on point, by 30, maybe I will be the man I always wanted to be.

Currently I don't worry about how much I spend on food, or how much I spend on a night out, or what the monthly house bills are. This is something I just take for granted now but I would seriously miss it, I guess, if I resorted to working behind a bar so that I could take a shot at trading. At the end of the day the trading style I had in mind amounted quite literally to staring at blinking numbers and periodically hitting buy and sell - it doesn't sound enticing put in that light.

As far as I am concerned this thread - which has meant a great deal to me - is now closed.
You've just been hit by the same old losers who've been around for years, i say go for it, but you don't need to be an intense scalper to make money trading.
edit:swing trade insteadm you've got enough money to swing a nice pot around in the markets.

Everyone:

Sensible. How many offices have the likes of futex got dotted around the UK full of traders swinging big pots around?

How many ugly single people work for schneider?

Speculative traders are generally ugly and single and live in the London area.

Leave 'em to it.

It's a freaks game.

Everyone:

Actually i misread; i tihnk 's a good decision...if hearing people tell you you're going to fail puts you off, trading ain't for you :)

Everyone:

At least make a sht load of money first before you quit. Trading isn't the only self employed job that makes money.

Spearchew,

Why do you think that prop/arcades never salary employees? They supposedly offer the best in technology and instruction?

'Young, dumb and full of cum.' Think about this phrase.

I've been working 11 years and also feel the same. its a drudge, a drag. but thats LIFE. the job market is the worst its been in 20 years....if you have a family you need to provide for them and you cannot go making rash decisions.

I suppose you are young, free and single but just consider the damage you could do to your future. its a dream to click a few buttons and be your own boss

If that's life, hand me a gun...