How To Think Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Andrew Preview says to Eric Morecambe......."your'e playing all the wrong notes"........Eric Morecambe replies..." no, I'm playing all the right notes.....but not necessarily in the right order"

blackcab said:
DIfficult because 'success' needs qualifying. Success in what sense? For most words I can imagine going in place of 'success' in the question, like happiness, fulfilment, well-being, at-one-ness, securedness, I'd say above or well above average. For success in terms of wealth, power, social status, etc. - I've no idea and no real interest.

True. A better phrasing of the question would be:

How does what you have achieved compare to what you could have achieved?

ie/ Have you done your best?

blackcab said:
. For success in terms of wealth, power, social status, etc. - I've no idea and no real interest.

Wealth? Yes, I'd go for that because, without it, I'd not feel that my family and I are secure. Not that I'm filthy rich but , financially, things are running along alright. It seems that, in today's world, nothing can be achieved without having money. I don't want to be without it, or I'd be very unhappy and worried. Park benches do not appeal to me for overnight use! Power and social status? I'm not ambitious in that sense but it, probably, comes automatically, with real wealth.

Split

CYOF said:
Q1:
Have you ever had recurring dreams where you were actually able to fly? - and if so, what was the most common thing that resulted in the flying, was it fear, fleeing from someone or some thing, or was it just to enjoy the feeling and observe the beauty from the air.

Now this is really an interseting question.
I dream of flying quite regularly. And its great and exhillarating.
However, only as long as I accept whats happening, and am "at one" with the experience.

But, there are instances when an analytical part of my brain switches on, and starts to question the set up ( how am I flying?, how high am I? how is this possible?), and I feel "disconnected from the now", and I start to feel fear of falling, because at that point there is a perception that the experience is unrealistic, and the laws of gravity will take over soon.

CYOF said:
Q2:

How would you rate yourself in relation to success? - a)well below average b)below average
c)average d)above average e) well above average.

I dont know if this question is deliberately vague, so that our answers reveal our interpretation of success. Its a bit like the study which shows "80% of car-drivers judge themselves better than average" - which may be mathematically impossible.

Do you judge success by comparison to ones peers/society, or ones own standards/expectations?
I consider myself successful, because, my work as a freelance IT-contractor means I can earn as much money in 6/7 months as the "average" worker does in 12. This means I can choose not to work for months if I CHOOSE. I also have the freedom and TIME to dabble in things that interest me, more than most of my peers.

I consider success as having greater CHOICEs at my disposal.

trendie said:
I consider success as having greater CHOICEs at my disposal.

I agree, but the fundamental is having the cash to do these things. That is the first priority.

Split

trendie said:
Now this is really an interseting question.
I dream of flying quite regularly. And its great and exhillarating.
However, only as long as I accept whats happening, and am "at one" with the experience.

But, there are instances when an analytical part of my brain switches on, and starts to question the set up ( how am I flying?, how high am I? how is this possible?), and I feel "disconnected from the now", and I start to feel fear of falling, because at that point there is a perception that the experience is unrealistic, and the laws of gravity will take over soon.

Where these Lucid dreams or normal dreams?,i've experienced lucid flying dreams and they
are an amazing experience and you are aware of everything it's a whole body experience and you can remember evertyhing,if you concentrate really hard you can control the flying as well.
So much fun

CJIA

blackcab said:
Please excuse my befuddlement. I've been watching George Bush talk :) You mean take the chart and turn it upside down? (that's 180 degrees, doesn't matter if it's clockwise or counter-clockwise). Or do you mean 90 degrees (a quarter turn)?

Yes - you are of course correct -90deg - as I said - I really know nothing - sorry for the confusion :eek:

Splitlink said:
I agree, but the fundamental is having the cash to do these things. That is the first priority.

Split

Yes, I think split is correct - money is of great importance - and even more so the looking after it - been frugal.

But, you can of course interpret success the way you want, but as we are primarily interested in trading, then I think money is the best pick?

Slainte,

CYOF,

You ask seemingly disconnected questions, receive replies, and that's it. So what?

Where is this leading? Is it leading anywhere? Where's the structure, coherence?

Patience is a virtue. But how long do you wait for a train that isn't going to arrive?

Grant.

But GX,

What is it you are looking for?

I have already stated, many times, that I truly believe I know nothing about anything!

And, if I am admitting that I know nothing about anything, then why do you listen (or read, to be exact) to what I am saying?

It is strange - no?

BTW, I think that it is all relative, but does require some thinking in order to put the "pieces" together. Did you read the Montaigne essay yet, several times?

Slainte,

CYOF,

What am I looking for? Your questions, suggestions, and references to texts presumably have a purpose. I am looking for whatever transpires.

You admit you know nothing but proceed as if you have something to offer. This is a red herring, or pre-empting reproach, or you believe you do have something to contribute .

I believe everyone can make a valid contribution to this forum. The problem I have occasionally is lack of patience.

Will Montaigne’s essay offer any elucidation?

Grant.

grantx said:
CYOF,

What am I looking for? Your questions, suggestions, and references to texts presumably have a purpose. I am looking for whatever transpires.

You admit you know nothing but proceed as if you have something to offer. This is a red herring, or pre-empting reproach, or you believe you do have something to contribute .

I believe everyone can make a valid contribution to this forum. The problem I have occasionally is lack of patience.

Will Montaigne’s essay offer any elucidation?

Grant.

Yours is not an uncommon error many members and visitors make about the nature of websites of this genre. They erroneously misdirect themselves to derive incorrect assumptions from what is posted here. This is because their frame of reference is incorrect. They are apt to treat a thread as if it were a sort of free classroom. This is not so. It is not appropriate to use a public board as if it were a free classroom. A public board is unsuitable for the purpose. There are a handful of us who know this and understand this, but it seems as if the great majority do not. This leads to all kinds of misunderstandings which emanate all kinds of irrelevant reactions. Surely the purpose of public boards is discussion. Then the purpose and correct use of threads must be specific discussion, and then discussions among equals, each one contributing according to his viewpoint and interest, I respectfully submit, and all else derived, including learning something of merit, has to be a bonus, but not an imposition upon the giver to provide. :)

Mr Marcus.

This has already been stated by CYOF and myself - an exchange of views, clarification and, hopefully progression (ie the 'Socratic' method).

Grant.

grantx said:
Mr Marcus.

This has already been stated by CYOF and myself - an exchange of views, clarification and, hopefully progression (ie the 'Socratic' method).

Grant.
The socratic method.....hehe...is plain to understand...but you must first reed the pdf that has neen posted...by CYOF....in which ....all is explained and verry clear....and shows....how the master....hehehe....was able to bfing ION to think correctly..for him to make progress..

mr.marcus said:
Yours is not an uncommon error many members and visitors make about the nature of websites of this genre. They erroneously misdirect themselves to derive incorrect assumptions from what is posted here. This is because their frame of reference is incorrect. They are apt to treat a thread as if it were a sort of free classroom. This is not so. It is not appropriate to use a public board as if it were a free classroom. A public board is unsuitable for the purpose. There are a handful of us who know this and understand this, but it seems as if the great majority do not. This leads to all kinds of misunderstandings which emanate all kinds of irrelevant reactions. Surely the purpose of public boards is discussion. Then the purpose and correct use of threads must be specific discussion, and then discussions among equals, each one contributing according to his viewpoint and interest, I respectfully submit, and all else derived, including learning something of merit, has to be a bonus, but not an imposition upon the giver to provide. :)

Indeed, and maybe you might find some time to join the discussions Mr Marcus, for I am certain that you have much to offer ;)

Slainte,

grantx said:
Mr Marcus.

Grant.

Grant,

I have received some information from a member, whom I will not name, and I thank him sincerely for this information. It is, to say the least, very, very, interesting, and tends to support my original way of thinking :eek:

I will use additional text references from this new information, to try and convey my thoughts in a more Universal view - but it is really very difficult unless the receiver is on the same wavelength - hence my little experiment with the dream of flying - which happens to me regularly, but not as regularly as I would like, as they tend to be, at times, preceding good experiences.

Slainte,

SOCRATES said:
The socratic method.....hehe...is plain to understand...but you must first reed the pdf that has neen posted...by CYOF....in which ....all is explained and verry clear....and shows....how the master....hehehe....was able to bfing ION to think correctly..for him to make progress..

Yes Socrates, and thank you for pointing this out again - as the ION dialogue is as equally important as the Montaigne essay.

Slainte,

My take on thinking correctly would be a vivid clear picture in the mind of what is the problem or desire that we most need.

Crystal clear uninterrupted visualisation techniques must be what Tesla was using, also the Incas, Aztecs and Pharonic Egyptians. How they achieved this I do not know, though we may look for clues in the texts from antiquity.

If we use the bible as an historical reference work, rather than a religious one, we may be able to gain a peek into the past at the psychology of that time and maybe a glimpse of what we seek that was known before and up to the biblical texts, but is lost to us now in its original form. (notwithstanding alleged manipulations of the biblical texts in later history, as is the problem with all historical texts imo.)

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Matthew 7:8
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Mark 11:24
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

I've only just scratched the surface. I feel like an archaeologist blowing the dust off the sealed entrance of an ancient tomb and after making a small hole, peering into the darkness.

"Can you see anything'"

"Yes, it is wonderful"

CYOF said:
Yes Socrates, and thank you for pointing this out again - as the ION dialogue is as equally important as the Montaigne essay.

Slainte,
Yes but.....it just does not land....no matter from what angle you give a gentle nudge....nope...no go...

Lightning McQueen (formerly don_h) said:
My take on thinking correctly would be a vivid clear picture in the mind of what is the problem or desire that we most need.

Crystal clear uninterrupted visualisation techniques must be what Tesla was using, also the Incas, Aztecs and Pharonic Egyptians. How they achieved this I do not know, though we may look for clues in the texts from antiquity.

If we use the bible as an historical reference work, rather than a religious one, we may be able to gain a peek into the past at the psychology of that time and maybe a glimpse of what we seek that was known before and up to the biblical texts, but is lost to us now in its original form. (notwithstanding alleged manipulations of the biblical texts in later history, as is the problem with all historical texts imo.)

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Matthew 7:8
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Mark 11:24
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

I've only just scratched the surface. I feel like an archaeologist blowing the dust off the sealed entrance of an ancient tomb and after making a small hole, peering into the darkness.

"Can you see anything'"

"Yes, it is wonderful"

Yes, LM - the new name is a bit long, so I will call you LM :) ,

And if you think that what I have posted so far, just may have some merit, then wait until you see what I am going to post. The new information I have received from a member, is like seeing the door open to the tomb, with a light inside, beckoning all to enter.

Remember this statement, for it is the reality of all that I am talking about, and that is, I started out this year with an offer to give away my trading courses, and having giving nothing as of yet, I have already received - I hope the picture is becoming clear by now?

One thing needs to be stated again, because it is very important, and that is, one needs to be careful what they direct sustained thought through concentration on (or as you aptly put it, PRAY for) as if the act of PRAYING just happens to be along the same lines as the Scientific Process of thinking, then miracles may indeed manifest themselves, but as usual, not for the reason that most people think :idea:

I am glad to see that some are starting to see, or starting to agree (as they may have already seen but not believed) that there may be another reason for why we end up with exactly what we get in life.

That reply deserves an addition to your reputation- well done LM :D

Slainte,

Status
Not open for further replies.