How long do you hold on to a position?

well if i think I am gonna cum b4 she does I will pull out and take a breather. If I think she's had her monies worth I just bang on until completion.

usually, I do not care about the time, i set take profit and that's it. the longest time for order was 2 days.

It depends actually. Well, most of the time, day trade would do. Just find what suits you.

l.jpg
in.jpg
e.jpg
a.jpg
mr.jpg
c.jpg
ms.jpg
om.jpg

The best answer to this question is "as long as it takes". It is so irrational to assign a timing, it is a price level that usually triggers the sell, or the short cover. If the price goes beyond your comfort level you should sell, or buy back. It doesn't really matter if it was 1 minute or 2 years since you started the position.

I had closed some positions in a few minutes after the price quickly went against me. I kept pyramiding winning positions for more than a year.

Cheers,
Lucian

This would depend on how long your trading and your strategy. Most harmonic traders probably hold their position for hours to days. Sometimes minutes! But never seconds.

Until is either hits my stop, my target or its performance toward target goes off schedule.

This is significant progess from too long and not long enough, trust me.

In many instances, the time is not as important as the destination also.

"Time is not money — time is time, and money is money." ~ Jesse livermore.

In many instances, the time is not as important as the destination also.

I have read several reports that traders that constantly flip positions inside of an hour or two are about 6 times more likely to lose all of their funds.

It depends what kind of trading you do. I make swing trading, in which I analyze currency on the daily or weekly chart. I don't set limits of times, I just set targets for P & L and I wait until the price reaches one of the targets. It can take in the very same day or last for weeks.

Im a position trader, so i hold my trades for weeks at a time, or unless it hits SL or TP :) swinging and position trading is more convenient and i dvice new comers to stick with swinging before going in to scalping, scalpers earn more but for some one new to forex scalping might as well be the way to blow you account :D

Re: Well c'mon y'all........ share some lovin...

:)

Why do you hold onto a position that way ? whats the reasoning behind it ?

Under what conditions should a trade be terminated, or stopped. ?

Ideally when should we close a long ? Ditto shorts, what would make sense ? what reasons or factors would/ should be in the list ?

I'll start the first one off for the readers (which may or may not be typical experiences)

1) Its non farm payrolls in 3 minutes and I need to take another dump...... (is that a prior news postion I see before me ?)

2) (evryone else chips in here)

c'mon now lets make it count......

when should the trade be stopped ? good question. (y)

crapt thank you for pointing that out

Re: Well c'mon y'all........ share some lovin...

crapt thank you for pointing that out

He posted that 4 years ago, his last post was 3 years ago so your thanks is futil, and the time it took me to open this thread is now lost forever.

It depends on when your exit is triggered I would say - i.e. did you hit target, did you stop-out or did you scratch-out. I trade on the hourly timeframe and longest hold period has been 3 days.

Depends on the market and opportunity. Is the market ranging\tending, what is happening on the news front. Could be anything from an hour to a couple of weeks