Have you backed up your PC recently?

XP, like all Windows versions, is fine for basic networking. Just right click on a folder and share the folder over the network. How you setup the physical network (e.g. using a normal switch/router or the ancient technique of Ethernet crossover cables - still useful for laptops sometimes) is quite irrelevant.

If you want better performance, you can use FTP tools, e.g. download the free SmartFTP client and Quick 'n Easy FTP Server Lite. Also, the popular and competent backup tool Syncback from 2BrightSparks can backup files over the network using Windows or FTP.

In general rsync is much faster than shared folders or ftp for backing up to another machine on a network (or to an external USB, eSATA or firewire drive). rsync is widely used *nix software, but there is a Windows wrapper for it available (free):

DeltaCopy - Rsync for Windows

It is worth considering off site backup to one of the internet based services that are now available.

One service that works with rsync is

rsync.net - Secure Offsite Backups, Offsite Data Storage and Remote Encrypted Filesystems, Offsite Backup

Last edited:
what, what, what?

Trading notes on a PC? shouldn't that be in your head so it's second nature? I really don't keep trading notes, I just do a hard copy print of the graph for the day. I have a note book that have my trade entries. If I need to refer to anything I look at my previous printouts.

I use IB and ensign. If my PC goes I reinstall from scratch, takes under 2 hours tops. Ensign and the DataFeed program I can download from the net if need be. I have 2 laptops that I can use to connect to my IB account just in case.

I do NOT backup data, since I don't have any interesting data to backup. And besides you should remember your login username and password for your accounts off by heart anyway.

Windows Vista is a joke, which is why I'm still using XP. Sorry, but it's such a horrendous piece of crap to backup that I feel it's not worth wasting a disc on it, but this is just how I work.

Trading notes on a PC? shouldn't that be in your head so it's second nature? I really don't keep trading notes, I just do a hard copy print of the graph for the day. I have a note book that have my trade entries. If I need to refer to anything I look at my previous printouts.

Windows Vista is a joke, which is why I'm still using XP. Sorry, but it's such a horrendous piece of crap to backup that I feel it's not worth wasting a disc on it, but this is just how I work.

1) That's what I mean. I just don't print everything out.

2) Am on XP. I don't know what happened.

1) That's what I mean. I just don't print everything out.

2) Am on XP. I don't know what happened.

I was referring to XP. It's still a piece of crap.

maybe I ought to backup my room, or better yet backup my house just in case it crashes?:cheesy:

I was referring to XP. It's still a piece of crap.

maybe I ought to backup my room, or better yet backup my house just in case it crashes?:cheesy:

Latest Ubuntu distri works like a charm though. No driver installation issues or anything. And you can boot it from CD and surf the web within a matter of minutes. Very neat.

I was wondering when somewhere going to mention LINUX:) Most of the windows problems are caused by virus and the slows downs after 6 months are Trojans and other horrid things.

For 24/7 usage most servers are Linux for a good reason. Same for trading if you run an MT4 bot for weeks and months on end then it helps to start with a stable platform and thats not winbloze! MT4 runs perfect under wine. DOnt get me wrong im no linux geek just happen to grown up with windows since dos and winbloze 3.1 but just migrated as Linux is a real alternative. FYI i use Pclinux in all my machines.

Most likely it was the defrag. Always run error checking first. Defragging on top of disk errors compounds it.

If anyone has lost vital data and if the disk is physically still ok, it can almost certainly still be recovered through one means or another. It is the one job I can never 100% guarantee though. If anyone needs such services around North London or home counties you can see more on this thread:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/techies-corner/25068-computer-trading-2.html