global warming

Christiaan

floods in south-africa,huge cyclones in australia and now bitter snow storms in chicago.it's all global warming and it's going to get a lot worse.As currency traders how does this affect us?

It will only effect the long term FX traders, or at least those one's able to put the complex jigsaw together.

Snow storms from global warming? I find this the ultimate contradiction in terms.

I think there is global cooling.

Yes - a major snow storm, or snow activity, or for that matter cooling activity - does not mean global warming doesn't exist.

I don't know what to think of whether or not it is real, or how serious it is - but I do think for whatever reason - we will continue to have these crazy weather conditions more and more.

One of the reasons the weather seems so crazy now is because of 24 hour TV and cheap cameras, whether video or phone. The world has got smaller so to witness a big storm in Northern Fiji when I'm in bed in England is par for the course these days.

But what about pre 1990? In the UK we only had about 2-4 hours of TV news per day over 4/5 TV channels and nobody in Northern Fiji had a cheap camera or iPhone.

So it's a good bet to say the weather hasn't got any worse, it's always been like this around the world but now we see it beamed into our TVs we think everything is crazy.

Plus, weather always makes a good news story especially when things are being smashed up or under water etc.

Yes - a major snow storm, or snow activity, or for that matter cooling activity - does not mean global warming doesn't exist.

I don't know what to think of whether or not it is real, or how serious it is - but I do think for whatever reason - we will continue to have these crazy weather conditions more and more.

Historically we are in a pretty moderate weather regime. So, if you believe in the "return to the mean" theory of systems, you've reached a reasonable conclusion.

Cold weather may not be proof that global warming exists, but global warming (if true) may lead to cold weather. When ice cap melts it leads to higher water levels, hotter Earth atmosphere leads to these waters evaporating into atmosphere as water vapor or clouds, which leads to rain or snow or in this thread's case snowstorms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud

Neither our short term earth atmosphere models nor our long term models are sufficiently well understood or reliably predictive. Every time we discover more of our history we are surprised when the models fails to have predicted it. And we once again revise our models.

Therefore it is irrational to make commitments of significant portions of world wealth based on them. Politics and rationality are rarely close companions.