Global Trading Community / GTC

cyrustajik

Hey

Ive been offered a place at the GTC 3 months course and I have also been asked to pay like 5K for the training . Just need to know what you guys think, specially those who have already done the training ?

I was at their offices last week but due to my tight timetable didnt have any time to speak to their trainee traders.

Ive searched a lot on these forums but unfortunately I havent found much about these guys.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Cheers
Cyrus

i went and saw them before joining up on amplify's trading course. wasn't too inspired to be honest and the fee which was £7k was way too much for me considering you can pay Futex the same. but they are incubators for CFT financials which they share an office with and Sigma Derivatives. They're legit, just tad on the expensive side.

TB29

Visited GTC and Amplify with a view to paying for training. The difference seems to be that Amplifys deal involves you sitting at home and been taught to trade. After a few months, if you are any good you can then sit in their office.

With GTC you are actually based on their trading floor and surrounded by many traders swinging some pretty massive P&Ls . They showed me some interesting software using colours and shapes. It is expensive though.

Anyone been on the course or used their software?

I'm on the pro trader course and if you have traded before you will see how its designed to make you a better trader without doubt.
They teach you to follow specific rules on stop losses and how to program your subconscious mind to make full use of the markets movements and limiting your losses by a process of tests and reactions.
I think after incorporating what I have learned with my previous experience
i know i will be a better trader.

Steve

I am starting the course at GTC next month because it is by far the best and most honest I have found. They teach you onsite, they have an approach that makes a lot of sense to me, instead of systems or indicators they use visualisation software to read buy vs sell activities. They also claim not to use technical analysis in first month as it stops beginners learning how to actually trade (?)
This was previously the FCT course which has been running for years. From what I can gather CFT and GTC split off from FCT and share an office.
They also have some very big traders on their floor.
The other places I saw like Amplify and TCa are identical, they are selling remote only programes, amplify do not even have their own office, they rent desks on Penson GHCOs floor in Canary wharf, they also use free internet software and basically charge you to sit at home and paper trade according to standard technical analysis trading signals like moving averages. I would be surprised if any newbie can actually learn to survive in the markets starting like that. After reading all the negative posts by graduates of tca, anyone who gives money to them or any similar operation is not really displaying the street smarts required for trading?
At GTC for 5k you get at least 3 months on site in a real office with traders, analysts etc. And the 5k includes a trading account. Paying amplify or tca to sit in your own house and use cheap software is a joke. Also amplify say that they charge you desk costs? I thought desk costs were for office based traders.

I'm GTC's trainee and I have to say that one month intesive course is good value for money. I have access to live market throughout the day (from 7am onwards). it is practical course and i had a chance to meet some big traders on the floor. they demerged from FCT and CFT is their partner company. The GTC have very good track record though.

Hi,

I did the one-month GTC course in March 09 after looking at TCA, Amplify etc. and a couple of courses in the US. I previously worked on trading floors for 1st tier IBs in London and NY for the last 8 years, so had the original training under my belt already but didn't work as a flow trader/daytrader. At GTC, My fellow group was pretty high calibre, some of them ex-Invetment Bankers looking to switch into trading (with more than 5+ years in Fixed Income), some recent graduates from the French higher universities which wanted practical experience for their resume (also classic IB job candidates), and the rest were looking to make job switches into trading from various backgrounds. Everyone was on-site in London.

The reason I chose the GTC course over other offers was that I wanted a course that was more serious than the "let's trade from home" garden variety, which too often only trains you in specific markets using their own software, rather than industry-standard TT software etc, and does not prepare you to survive as a professional prop trader later on. It was worth paying the course fees as a result.

For me, the selling points were:
(a) I was on-site on a trading floor, with mature senior traders around for information/observation/questions
(b) the course had a practical focus and a solid structure, i.e. daily practical exercises, which built up trading skills sequentially while simulation-trading live in ALL major FI derivs markets (Eurex etc)
(c) I ended up with a thorough feeling/understanding for the pace of these markets (2yr/Bobl/Bund, Euribor/Libor, Eurodollar etc) and could decide which were the markets best suited to my trading style
(d) the course started with basic trading strategies but built up to the complex synthetic strategies, while requiring you to do mental math by calculating several moving variables in your head (you can always build your own spreadsheets later to simplify the exercise)
(e) GTC has only recently legally separated from FTC/CFT, due to its training focus, but has close links into the major EUREX clearing/prop houses. They have an established feeder structure into CFT, Sigma Derivs and other high-caliber prop trading houses that are clearers on the Eurex exchange, which was important to me in case I wanted to make this transition.

A note on trading software - they use TT (the general industry standard) plus a 3-D software that makes it easy for you in the beginning to follow the volumes etc in the markets. You actually can see the order books and sharpen your technique / execution skills during simulation trading, which other competitors do not provide to the same standard.

The things that were less important for me (and which may be a weakness, depending on what your focus is) was that if you are looking for a thorough introduction/review to trading theory, you will have to do this in your own time at home (they do provide additional materials if you ask though). A second point was that you have to be self-motivated. Lectures introducing new material etc were usually held around 9/10am, but you are encouraged to trade from market open at 7am until market close, however it is up to you if you take this course as a "job simulation" or just want to get the training.

Hope this helps. I was happy with the 1-month pro-trader version of the course. The second month is designed to give you simulation practice, choosing your markets and strategies and refining execution and technique so you make less mistakes and are confident when you go live. At the end, in month 3, you trade live money.

Hope this gives you an idea and a basis for comparison to other courses.

I continue trading though am in NYC at the moment dealing with some hedge funds.

Small firm as not seruious enough to even have a domain for their email?

;) Seriously?

Whoow.

Well, maybe they also make racist comments about the spelling of people who do not speak English as their native language?

But seriously, I can not imagine a business so small it does not have it's own domain. It costs so little - not having your own domain is bordering gross neglect. I would not apply to anyone using gmail and stating they are a firm, even if it is a one person registered business ;) Check out how much domains cost these days ;)

Well, maybe they also make racist comments about the spelling of people who do not speak English as their native language?

But seriously, I can not imagine a business so small it does not have it's own domain. It costs so little - not having your own domain is bordering gross neglect. I would not apply to anyone using gmail and stating they are a firm, even if it is a one person registered business ;) Check out how much domains cost these days ;)

You could be right, But I dont think having a domain helps you make money.
A guy I spoke to met them, he liked there ideas but he lived in Canary Wharf and did not want to travel that far.
Where are you trading ?

Oh, no, it does not, but then ;) As I said, the domain is cheap. Running your infrastructure though.... I pay possibly around EUR 500 a month for my internet in the office, and the little server park I have in a hosting center.

I am not trading at the moment - reentering the market after 8 years absence, the paperwork being done at the moment, and I am still in my old profession as IT consultant (and at a customer right now). I take thigns slow, and will trade out of my operations in Poland. Hope to validate that I still have an edge (that I had years ago - I left the markets due to a lot of mental crap around me thanks to my then second wife), and when that is the case I will reenter at one point in the next months (which sadly could be 10 - depends on how I get out of the IT stuff with a satisfactory project).

I actually am not even sure how I want to trade mid term - possibly I will see whether I can open or organize a virtual trading room, and trade from home. At least there I can concentrate in the quiet periods and do some other stuff. I plan to go as automatic as I can, at least in a way that I do not have to watch the markets all the time. Right now I am working on my (historical) price database in the evenings ;) After that, it is zen-fire integration and a small trading interface into some trade automatism software, plus possibly a homemade order entry/tracking application.

I am considering the GTC program but I'm not sure of the UK visa requirements for training. I'm from Singapore and just about to finish my masters in sydney.

I started this page to get ideas about GTC program. it sorta has moved from that to some new subjects!!
anyways, GTc is a good program if you willing to pay for it. There are other good arcades such as STA and Futex but you need to be good enough to get into them.
regarding the guy from singapore, living in sydney now, why dont you get into one of the arcades in sydney?
I know Tibra is based there and they are considered the google of trading arcades.
All the best
Cyrus

What do you think of GTC in singapore? is the program as good as it could be in London? I am thinking of the 3 months one...
thanks.

What do you think of GTC in singapore? is the program as good as it could be in London? I am thinking of the 3 months one...
thanks.

GTC are a spin off from FCT who have been active on Simex for a long while. The training in London might therefore be better for a newbie as the Singapore office might be more focused on market making and trading on Simex than a more global market approach, just a thought!