Gadaffi

In any case, I stumbled in here, - my view is purely that war, terrorism etc is a waste, and of course strong arguments can be put forward to justify military action, the motives presented are not always what they seem and with AA stating that due to Gadafi's removal petrol will drop 6pence a litre here, I can't help but be cyncical, or indeed after 40 years of conflict in Nortern Ireland and 3000+ lives lost, and they end up with a sinn fein-DUP administration (which if asked in 1969 no one would have wanted) when there could have been a moderate government in place and those lives saved?

Good night

Well said
Perhaps school kids should be properly screened so that potential terrorists can be shown the light before they launch bloody wars ?
I always suspect parents of terrorists could have done more - maybe they should go to prison too !!

In any case, I stumbled in here, - my view is purely that war, terrorism etc is a waste, and of course strong arguments can be put forward to justify military action, the motives presented are not always what they seem and with AA stating that due to Gadafi's removal petrol will drop 6pence a litre here, I can't help but be cyncical, or indeed after 40 years of conflict in Nortern Ireland and 3000+ lives lost, and they end up with a sinn fein-DUP administration (which if asked in 1969 no one would have wanted) when there could have been a moderate government in place and those lives saved?

Good night

There's a lot of hindsight in all this conjecture, though, isn't there? Who knows what kind of government will be in place, in any country, in 50 years?

As far as wars are concerned the major powers in the world have decided not have any more so, what happens? How many small and tribal wars have been fought in the 65 years since WWII?

The human race is self destructive. I am nearing the end of my time on earth and see nothing to be optimistic about regarding peace on earth and goodwill to all men.

There's a lot of hindsight in all this conjecture, though, isn't there? Who knows what kind of government will be in place, in any country, in 50 years?

As far as wars are concerned the major powers in the world have decided not have any more so, what happens? How many small and tribal wars have been fought in the 65 years since WWII?

The human race is self destructive. I am nearing the end of my time on earth and see nothing to be optimistic about regarding peace on earth and goodwill to all men.

So you dont believe in Santa then. Maybe things will be better in your next re-incarnation:LOL:

The facts keep telling us that we are electing the wrong sort of people.
Perhaps they really are the cream of the human race though !
Most of them suck bigtime - it's just that the rest of us are even worse, maybe ?

lol
splitlink - yes conjecture, but the human race are evolving and learning -all the time
and we can still hope, that we are learning from our mistakes.

pboyles - the debate here has been enjoyable with people able to disagree about an emotional subject without excessively emoting.

Pat494 - don't you think our future leaders should alto be taught that deadly force is not an option?

lol
splitlink - yes conjecture, but the human race are evolving and learning -all the time

pboyles - the debate here has been enjoyable with people able to disagree about an emotional subject without excessively emoting.

Pat494 - don't you think our future leaders should alto be taught that deadly force is not an option?

Speaking of poor quality politicians what about the presidential election in Ireland? That looks like a right lot. Dana, famous for winning Eurovision about 50 years ago and nothing else plus assorted misfits, people who were definitely not in the IRA and a guy that wrote to the Israelis to get his former boyfriend off a rape charge.

Can't Father Dougal be encouraged to run?

lol
and we can still hope, that we are learning from our mistakes

That seems to be the problem - we don't learn from previous mistakes

except in self defense

lol

setanta, the Spanish have a saying. The human race is the only one that will trip over the same stone twice.

P Boyles -
you seem well informed on the politics in the Republic of Ireland -;) yes I was there last week and it is a motley crew. They seem to change the way the figure head is elected to suit what day of the week it is - and now there are 7 days, with time on their hands (after the economic bust) they have 7 candidates. Dougal would be in but they ran out of days in the week. It went from let the protestants have a voice - give them the presidency - Douglas Hyde, to what will we do with de-Valera (lets make him president to move him on), to what about women - I know make someone called Mary President (That'll shut them up), to what about the North (I know make Mary from the North president), to this time lets accommodate everyone on the ticket - gays, Catholics, protestants, nationalists, unionists, left wing-right wing, women, and men too (there is a black belt in judo on the ticket)

pat494
re self defence - look at French in ww2 - didn't bother with self defence and they had a good war and an even better post war?

P Boyles -
you seem well informed on the politics in the Republic of Ireland -;) yes I was there last week and it is a motley crew. They seem to change the way the figure head is elected to suit what day of the week it is - and now there are 7 days, with time on their hands (after the economic bust) they have 7 candidates. Dougal would be in but they ran out of days in the week. It went from let the protestants have a voice - give them the presidency - Douglas Hyde, to what will we do with de-Valera (lets make him president to move him on), to what about women - I know make someone called Mary President (That'll shut them up), to what about the North (I know make Mary from the North president), to this time lets accommodate everyone on the ticket - gays, Catholics, protestants, nationalists, unionists, left wing-right wing, women, and men too (there is a black belt in judo on the ticket)

I heard a rumour Gay Byrne was going to run, what happened to that? Isn't he about 90? I recall he looked 60 in the 80s. Still at least you don't have the crazies like they do in the US elections, entertaining as they are to the layman.

Michele Bachmann Says The Darndest Things - YouTube