Will colonel gaddafi burn the refineries?

defender110

Hi Ppl,

In short: Taking a leaf from Saddam, who thinks Gaddafi will set light to the oil fields?

I believe this is the main fear driving the crude markets over Libya. A brief reasoning below:

News reports such as http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12802939 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12802749 state Gaddafi is not a direct target. This at first struck me as very odd, however would any here agree with the position the coalition do not want to make Gaddafi feel his life is threatened in fear it might make the mad man set light to the oil fields to spite the west in a last ditch attempt? (afer all we've seen this before - see above with Saddam)

I believe this to be the driving fear although i have not heard it spoke about in the main stream media (to my knowledge).

Thoughts?

P.S: Anyone have access to any intel on Saddams actions in Kwiat in relation to oil prices?

Last edited:
Ok so opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and most of them well don't smell to good. But in any event I would say that the Libyan mission needs a new monikor, perhaps "Operation Goatfck" is available? In short I don't think he will need to set fire to anything. I admit to being perplexed by the US macro strategy in the region at this point.

I doubt Gaddafi would be able to burn the Lybian oil fields even if he wanted to. By the time this conflict is coming to an end Gaddafi and his forces will all be in Tripoli, if they're not already isolated in holed up in that city already.

I don’t see everything as being NWO inspired, honest, but you have t ask yourself why ‘we’ would intervene in Libya in the first place. Clearly it’s not humanitarian issues as ‘we’ sit back and watch many far worse and far longer running instances of extreme inhumanity elsewhere on the planet.

Although Gadaffi had cultured for himself an image as a madman, he is to a large extent from a global business perspective, a fairly good guy to have around and by all accounts one with whom multinational interests can negotiate a win-win. Not necessarily for Libya, but for Gadaffi (and his cohort) and whatever multinational he has allowed to provide him suitable homage in the age old manner.

So why support ‘the rebels’ when they will inevitably be harder to trade with given their anti-Western slant and even if that were not the case, an uphill struggle in simply establishing trading basics and ‘understandings’ with a whole new regime. It’s not like the UK where if you ousted the current government, or even “Government” itself, you’d still have the same puppet masters running the show from Whitehall.

Well of course, it doesn’t make sense from any superficial perspective if you believe all conflicts of this nature are predicated on what the end result will be in relation to global commercial interests.

If you took a view that destabilisation as an end in itself was the goal, then the foment current raging in ME makes a lot more sense.

It’s a bit like trading volatility rather than outrights.