FX Analysis: Casting A Wide Net

A couple weeks back, my biz partner, Todd Gordon was debating Jim Cramer on getting short EUR/AUD (video) - Todd won that round as prices fell away nicely.

Well, Todd will be on CNBC's Squawk Box today at 10:20 AM EST to once again discuss shorts in EUR/AUD using the IPA Trade Methodology as the backdrop. Be sure to tune in.

ipa.png

ipa1.png

The 'P' component of our IPA Trade Methodology is Pattern Recognition, or more specifically, Elliott Wave Analysis.

On Thursday, Bark Marek, Director of Marketing & Client Education, will host a 30-min webinar that will break down the basic 5-wave Elliott Wave pattern from a technical, fundamental and practical perspective. This is a perfect class for those who are new(er) to Elliott Wave Principle.

December 15th at 4:30PM EST

Register here: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/847035102

This will not be a sales presentation - purely educational

Today's late day plunge has likely got the bearish sentiment up even higher - sounds like the exact time for a rally?! Based on the way we have been watching this market unfold, we still see the 1220/10 area as solid support - do not be surprised if prices rally in the next 24-48 hours.

12.13.11spTARGET.jpg

This is certainly a move most are not expecting and could set up solid long opportunities in AUD/USD which is coming into support at 1.0020/.9935 (positively correlated to S&P's) as well as shorts in EUR/AUD (inversely correlated to the S&P 500)

The S&P's are testing the lower limits of the support area we have, 1210/05 - failure to hold there and we have to assume 'risk off'.

With 10-year Treasury rates cracking 1.90% and likely to head lower and the Bank Index (BKX) unable to gain ground higher, it is looking increasingly likely we are going to be weak over the next few days. With pre-holiday trading conditions starting to settle in - taking trades in here becomes increasingly dicey with each passing day. We are flat, happy and will need much persuasion to risk capital at this time of year.

The S&P's are testing the lower limits of the support area we have, 1210/05 - failure to hold there and we have to assume 'risk off'.

With 10-year Treasury rates cracking 1.90% and likely to head lower and the Bank Index (BKX) unable to gain ground higher, it is looking increasingly likely we are going to be weak over the next few days. With pre-holiday trading conditions starting to settle in - taking trades in here becomes increasingly dicey with each passing day. We are flat, happy and will need much persuasion to risk capital at this time of year.

Looks like we got ourselves a little Santa Claus rally here - 1205 did manage to hold - now the question is for how long? In this market, take it day by day or hour by hour - stay nimble is the operative word. Once again EUR/USD lags to the upside versus the likes of AUD/USD or NZD/USD or even shorts in EUR/AUD.

Going into today's NY session, continue to keep an eye on rates (10-year) - while they have rallied this AM to 1.93%, the 1.90% level is key, a break back below there and the S&P rally will flame out real quick.

EUR/GBP still looks poised to trade lower towards .8357/39 (short-term) but the little rally over the last 30-minutes, if it gets above .8412/24 would suggest that the Wave (iv) correction is not yet complete thus allowing prices to probe a bit higher. The longer-term bearish count remains intact that should see prices did towards .8100/.8200 in the weeks ahead.

12.15.11eurgbp60.png

Once again, 10-year Treasury rates prove a useful tool for gauging S&P movements and by that measure FX movements. The 'risk on' trade is precarious at best here and with our forecast for yields to head lower towards 1.50% and perhaps 1.25%, that ushers in a big rally for bonds and thus suggests weaker equities too.

Be careful trying to bottom pick EUR and other risk related currencies in here.

12.16.1110yields.png

NOTE: our frequency of posts will decline over the next week and half with the holiday's coming into play - we will ramp back up on January 2nd. Happy Holidays!

Just going through some various reports and newspaper articles this AM and came across a couple of interesting data points regarding EUR/USD.

The CFTC publishes reports each week regarding the positioning of futures traders in the various futures contracts traded. Conventional wisdom states that during periods of excessive bullish or bearish positions, it can often note that a change in trend is forthcoming.

Another measurement, although it measures sentiment, not number of contracts, is the Daily Sentiment Index (DSI). It too can prove insightful at isolating trend changes.

Combining the two, like any analysis approach, will add a level of robustness to one's conclusions. Thus, as noted in the chart below, we currently have both CFTC and DSI data at levels, historically speaking, that have isolated turning points.

12.20.11eurLONG.png

While both Todd and I have noted that the chart pattern/wave count (or lack thereof) in EUR/USD is a mess, one cannot argue that the move lower off the May 5th highs appears corrective and thus lends some further support to the above data points.

Time will tell. Unless you are a longer-term trader who has tremendous conviction in here, we are not suggesting long EUR/USD positions - but it would be foolish to ignore these data points while conducting ones analysis.

Just a friendly reminder that Chinese equities were down again last night by 1.78% - continuing a string of poor performance. The S&P's do not seem to care - but do not be too quick to dismiss the disconnect as we head in 2012! -DF-

spCHINA.png

Good morning traders and Happy New Year. I sure hope you enjoyed and maximized your time with friends / family and downtime from the markets, because we’re coming out of the gate roaring in 2012. From the dual perspective of trading / analyzing the markets, as well as running the business, we saw a lot of things we did well that yielded results, and we saw things that need to be addressed in 2012. As you know we never sugar coat the realities of trading when we communicate with you. The faster you learn what life in the markets is really all about, the faster you will stop losing money. That means you need to stop making rookie mistakes, your trading will then stabilize at a breakeven level, and then you will take that magical step into profitability.

With that said, and continuing on with our policy to not sugar coat life in the trading trenches, as a trader your evolution process is a journey; not a destination. Tiger Woods knows full well you can never “win” at golf. You can never reach the pinnacle and say “I’ve arrived”. Because when you do, the trading (golfing) gods will knock you flat on your butt. Dave and I hit close to 62% of winning trades since we adopted our PnL and accounting system in March ’11. It was good, but we know there is room to grow and attain better results in 2012. We have addressed this several times with our subscriber base, and one area that needs to improve is our average winning size vs our average losing size; they are too close.

Market Analysis

Now to market analysis. In the early goings of 2012 the risk trade is as encouraged as we are. The S&P futures are trading higher by 1.55% at 1272.50 as the US dollar Index broke below the psychological 80.00 level, trading 0.58% lower at 79.80. Gold, copper, and crude all higher confirming the risk-on rally, and the Australian dollar is higher by 1.05% as 1.0343. In the past few days we have seen strong international data with a better than expected Chinese non-manufacturing PMI, strong German employment data, and a positive PMI from Switzerland. Next week we will be watching Italian and Spanish sovereign debt auctions, which puts the focus for now on the US. At 10:00 AM EST we have ISM Manufacturing PMI and Prices, as well as Construction Spending, and then at 2:15 PM EST we the FOMC minutes from the prior Fed meetings.

Turning to the maps, let’s survey 4 major markets on the daily charts and set the tone for the beginning of 2012. On Friday’s Money in Motion, I communicated the same risk-on bias, which put me on the complete opposite side of the market as former Goldman Sachs VP, Jens Nordvig. I even tried to bet him on the call, but he didn’t take the bait. To accentuate the New Year’s Eve episode, as well as my bold EURUSD call, I did wear my wedding tuxedo. I recommend you watch as it certainly caused some laughs on the set, especially from my friend Andy Bush. So to the maps, here’s how we see the markets unfolding in the first half of 2012. Commentary is included on each chart.

1.3.12spx.png

1.3.12eurdaily.png

1.3.12auddaily.png

1.3.12xaudaily.png

Webinar Series Continues on Thursday:

Aspen Trading’s Director of Marketing and Client Education, Bart Marek, will continue his Thursday webinar series on Thursday at 4:30 PM EST. The topic of the week will be the “A,B,C’s of Elliott Wave Corrections”. To register CLICK HERE

Until next posting - Todd Gordon of Aspen Trading.

Often times the ushering in of the New Year brings many changes to trading and investing - some are welcome; some are not. Thus far in 2012 we have witnessed a lot of cross-currents in the market as well as some well worn correlations being invalidated. Luckily after 1 week in 2012 the picture is becoming a bit clearer, but we would point out a couple of developments worth noting that could derail the bulls hopes.

If we take a step back and focus on the 'I' component of our IPA Trade Methodology...

ipa.png

...one has to be very cautious at embracing a bullish tone at this juncture. This is where correlations play an integral role in deciphering/supporting what the charts are illustrating. While it is possible the recent string of solid economic data in the US may propel equities higher, the price action in copper and AUD/USD suggests othewise.

First, let's take a quick technical look at copper prices:

1.9.11copperdaily.png

Weak copper prices, historically speaking, have always beena sign of future economic contraction. So, despite the recent pick-up in US economic data, copper prices may be reflecting more on the prospects for Europe and China (40% of global consumption is in China). Drilling down a bit further we can see how closely tied AUD/USD is to copper prices. This chart sheds light on why AUD/USD was lagging to the upside last week despite all the positive news in US data and the S&P 500.

1.9.12audcopper.png

We are left with a forecast that involves a potentially weaker AUD/USD in the days and weaks ahead but over the next 1-3 days AUD/USD does have the ability to rally on the heels of a short-term bullish S&P 500 forecast.

1.9.12spx60min.png

Pretty cool how combining different time frames/wave count and correlations can yield 2 different but possibly 2 solid trades.

As noted in the previous posting, in the short-term AUD/USD had room to run higher despite our slightly bearish forecast over the medium-term. Now targeting 1.0350

1.9.12audtarget.png

First - just a quick update on AUD/USD: 1.0350 target met per last nights posting (see above). Next objective - 1.0400

Today's Chart of the Day:

1.10.12gbp3day.png

Traders, to say the markets are a touch quiet is an under-statement. As Bill Fleckenstein noted yesterday:

"...it almost seems appropriate to change the name of the column from the Market Rap to the Daily Doldrums. I'm sure that dullness will abate at some point, but the combination of a secular bear market, which has been underway for a decade or so now, and money-printing has basically turned the market into a giant taffy pull interspersed with periods of wild volatility. Just look at last year, where the S&P traveled over 3,000 points only to finish unchanged."

However, don't let the price action lull you to sleep. With a 4th wave correction unfolding in the S&P 500, there is still enough room to make a run towards 1300/20 - an area we see as solid resistance and should be a big decision point for traders.

1.12.12sp30min.png

Using this as our backdrop/template for the Inter-Market Analysis component of our trade selection, pairs like AUD/USD are poised to trade higher in conjunction with the S&P's. Upside target(s) on AUD/USD seen at 1.0400/50

While the selling pressure today on top of JP Morgan's earnings and the 'rumored' downgrades of France & Austria is intense, the overall bullish wave count for the S&P's and risk related FX pairs like AUD/USD remains intact.

Assuming this pattern/wave count is to remain valid - 1269 [Wave (i) high] must hold. A break below and the bullish view will be negated. We are finding much cleaner technical set-ups (shorts) that largely avoid the headline driven price action in the likes of EUR/GBP, EUR/AUD, EUR/NZD and AUD/NZD.

sp
1.13.11spx1hr.png

Last edited:
Thought this 60-min webcast recording would shed some light on how we view, interpret and forecast the FX market. There were many great question from clients that allowed us to provide some pretty solid education/analysis.

2012-01-11 12.02 Wednesday Webcast - Aspen_Trading's library

Note: this was a client presentation so there is a promo slide in the beginning - I am posting this recording not for that but for the content within the webinar.

S&P 500: 1300/10 a Top? If so, don't get too long those risk related FX pairs like AUD/USD. This is a pretty delicate balance in here. Bulls are waiting to buy the break higher in the S&P's or use it as a catalyst for FX trades, but we would be very cautious. Break-out trades rarely work and assuming the S&P count is correct, not an area to be establishing long entries.

1.17.11SPX.png

For FX traders, specifically AUD/USD (long) or shorts in USD/NOK - a failure here puts the brakes on longs and shorts respectively.

1.17.12AUDUSD60min.png

1.17.12nok4hour.png

Nigel, your post got me thinking about this interview with Ray Dalio on the The Charlie Rose Show. Dalio is a genius in terms of his approach to investing and trading - he never thinks he has ALL the answers, he is humble enough to always ask 'Where might I be wrong on my thesis?' and encourages his employees to challenge one another.

I suppose that is why his firm, Bridgewater Associates, is the largest hedge fund in the world and has an enviable track record.

Ray Dalio interview: Charlie Rose - Ray Dalio

A bit late with this post, but what a great informative vid.