FTSE100- June

people were saying that today was going to be slow and boring I was just highlighting that we had covered 18 points i.e yesterdays tarding range in the first 50 mins

Splasher - would think the daily bar would be a Hanging man as opposed to a Doji which would mean a more bearish slant on proceedings.

I think it's time to mow the lawn now - get a few jobs done to leave the weekend free for football!!!

Have a great weekend everybody.

Iain

The Bramble

My exit is approx 4460, this being the close last friday from which ftse gapped up on Monday.

I would have closed this morning when ftse dropped into the low 60's but I was out and missed it.

I intend to hold the trade into next week with a stop at 4525.

Regards

bracke

oatman

I suspect that the confusion is because I look for gaps in the ftse daily cash but trade them on the monthly future.

I have never checked but does the monthly future gap from one day to the next to relect the gap in the daily cash or is it the other way round, the future gaps first and the daily follows it?

Regards

bracke

Does anyone use Esignal real time charts and if so do you trade from their FTSE 100 index values chart for trading the spreadbetting cash instrument or do you use the LIFFE futures chart. I am not sure if there would be much slippage in the cash values chart against the spreadbetters position.

Kevin

oatman

"Indices don't usually gap."

Now youv'e confused me. The ftse certainly gaps on opening.

Regards

bracke

bracke

Depends which data provider you use. I believe the official Stock Exchange guidelines for the index say that the pre-opening auction is not used in setting the opening price thus yesterday's close = todays opening and there is never a gap. Some providers operate to these guidelines, others don't and do recognise a gap opening - all very confusing!!! Have had this argument with Sharescope who, until early May, operated to guidelines and did not recognise any opening gap but have now changed their feed and do recognise gaps. They haven't backdated the history files yet so the index charts look a bit of a mess! You can see the change on the attached chart.

jon

Attachments

• ftse.gif
    ftse.gif
    12 KB · Views: 183
Review of the FTSE100

Global markets had a positive week with the FTSE World ($) index 0.75%.

Cyclical markets were the main beneficiary with HK China H shares rallying 7.2%.

FTSE more defensive qualities did not help, with a more modest 0.66% increase.

One potential concern for this recent rally is the lack of confirming volume (see attachment 2)

Attachments

• table.gif
    table.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 200
  • chart.gif
    chart.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 199
However, FTSE 100 performance was flattered by Vodafone
which contributed 0.25 ( or nearly 40%) of the 0.66% rise in the index

Attachments

• chart1.gif
    chart1.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Friday's FTSE 100 action

Friday's action was positive after an attempt to penetrate the 4470/2 support/resistence area was quickly rejected.

Additionally, the reaction from the 4515 top has held above the 50% retracement of the 4401/4515 move. That is usually taken as a sign of underlying strength.

Also the pattern from 4515 top can be read as a complete ABC.

However, the low FTSE 100 volume 1624.6m (2702.8m) does detract somewhat from the rally.

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 172
Pending Corporate announcements

Next week is very quiet for the UK, with MIsys the only significant company reporting on Friday.

In the US Oracle reports on Tuesday.

US investment banks start reporting also
with Lehman Bros on Tuesday and Bear Sterns on Wednesday

On the economic front both UK PPI and CPI will report.

Morning all!!!
Very quiet on here - is everyone still in bed sleeping off the drink from watching the football ??
Looks like the markets didn't like the result aswell because we have had quite a drop this morning.
See if 4450 provides some support.
Iain

Mully..........Hope Bracke was out of bed to take his profits after that close of the gap.

Iain