FTSE 100 - Strategies or Plans?

Hoping to trade on my annual leave from work (start of August 2007). If this trading goes well, guess i will call in my resignation to 9-5 job!

I wouldn't make that kind of decision based on a couple of weeks of trading - no matter how successful. There's not enough range of activity in 2 weeks - particularly in August when a lot of traders are on holiday - to determine if you'll be profitable in the long run.

Same with your guide. I found it pretty easy to make money this last 2-3 weeks after a very slow June. It's not enough time to prove things one way or another.

N.B. FTSE100 has been jumping up and down wildly between 6500 to 6700! Is this a signal, that FTSE will make a new trend soon?

Nope, it just means there's a lot of nervousness and uncertainty in the market.

I haven't been paying much attention to this thread.

But, what 9-5 job are you thinking of quitting?
I would agree with Hoggums and go easy on that thought.
Seems like a few weeks of trading has kept you in the circle of optimism.

I'm still relatively to trading so I'm sure there are things that i do not know.

nice work Jonny, I look forward to your continued profit and the elucidation of your method:cheesy: I have not looked into binaries yet .. largely because the spread is too big .. I just don't understand em:eek:

i was amazed on what i was seeing on each trade on binaries. Even though you are right that the spread is an issue. I realised that it is more easier to gain your money from binaries than the indice itself (my point of view anyway)

I will post my next trading session on here soon as i am off from work. My work computer has my spread company website restricted!! :-(

How is your tradings going shortorlong, if you dont mind me asking?

The market currently has alot of nervousness and uncertainity since mid June.

Regards,

Jonny, London

I'm looking forward to seeing your trading. I've just had a look. Can't seem to get convinced. It seems that you can only make about 5-6 points to the close. Is that right?

sSplit

How is your tradings going shortorlong, if you dont mind me asking?

maybe I have turned the corner . this week 120 points. FTSE .. and the odd DOW scalp.
I have been studying indicator after indicator .. have not managed to find the holy grail .. and now I heard the other day from OSCAR .. there is no holy grail . so no surprises there.:LOL:

Targets

Anyone know (got any ideas) of where ftse might get some support ?
Timeframe thur-friday....

around this level hopefully....I've just gone long @ 66...:rolleyes:

If it breaks 897 is possible

Thanks Steve
Yeh I got 950ish and then 880/90 zone .......... eerily similar :LOL:
950ish is the 62% retrace of the 06/07 move off summer 06 lows
880/90ish is 25% retrace of the whole 2003/2007 move !!...
just in case some were wondering ........ :)

Opportunity Knocks

Ftse had a nice day but finished around 70pts of the day highs of 6134.
So for the good news to continue for a teeny bit longer (there are those saying multiday rally is in order) it must shoot a minimum of 70pts from friday close to get the faintest bullish thought .........

So as we stand there are around 60pts plus lying on the table since if it can't take out friday's highs it's fun time again......

Side bar in order to give Ftse a chance.... dow must close well - i.e another +100 or so from here...... Dow now 020/24 cash...

Bases covered over and out...

Ftse and smoothness

Hi Guys, not sure if this is the right place for this but I have been using Tradestation for a year now and have finally gotten fed up with the lack of data for the FTSE. I have several ideas on a profitable day trade for the FTSE but no way of backtesting it. My strategy requires 1 min dta sets. Due to the minute spreads on the dow ( i call this the ' raggedness') it does not work for me. Can ayone reccommend a realtime trading platform with a history of tick data for the Ftse that I can use to backtest. It has been suggested to use Metastock but their sales guy was very vague.
Thanks

Just thought Id bring this thread back to life again.

I am still trading the FTSE100 on hourly basis based on the binaries given.

The 8am FTSE mentioned page #1 would still work on someone who wants to make average 10-25points a week as a secondary income.

I've still noticed that soon as footsie opens, it jumps one direction for the first 30mins - keep in mind that it mostly 'sells'..... I will hopefully trade this strategy shortly and put up the results.

LondonTraderUK.

welcome back .. good to see you are still in the game .. 10-25 points is not enough for me so I'm still looking for that elusive mechanical system ..

I tried many many systems over the past year and a half .. gushed money into my accounts .. due to getting it wrong and running my losers ... I was like Homer Simpson on the electric overhead trying to get his beer :LOL:

finally the gushing has stopped and I begin to punish my broker SB broker, but gently :devilish:

If we knew that we'd be rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't try and pick the bottom, at the moment any more negative news could cause another big sell off, i don't think you'll miss a 1000pt rally by waiting for a few weeks for a consolidation before a rally...

But like i said, i don't know anything..........

Attended an ig seminar last week in which we were told most bets were still long on the FTSE100! I had to shake my head in disbelief.
Junior trader here, still reading books & trying to 'snipe' the index above.
I don't actually have trading capital [in a lump sum], just x from wages to 'put to work'. £50 a time. small bets, see how it goes. Buy low, sell high theory, day trading tues - thursdays. Love to get the fridays & mondays too but trading will have to 'buy' me these. Then the weekends off..at last!!

Paper trading is a waste of time! Loosing money trading is maybe a waste of money? But it's definitely a waste of opportunity for further growth!

Last edited: