Free trading videos

Eileenye,

I really do need to add some more videos.....As for my looks *Des blushes with a sheepish grin.*

My trading computer:
I just added a bigger power supply and a second graphics card (7800GT) to take advantage of the SLI technology. I also had to add a larger (120mm) all copper fan. My unit has three big fans and smaller fans on my graphic cards and processor.

Indeed, I am using a chainsaw to open a sardines can. However I like to game a little also.

d-

Hi

Hi Des and all,

Enjoying the videos on the thread :) Good work, Des

Hey, nothing wrong with a fast machine, it is deserved :cheesy:

Pages disappeared...?

Hmm...just had an interesting experience. I'd been working through the pages on this thread, there were about 23 pages (went through them). Upon sending the message a moment ago saying hi, it is now listing 6 pages!!? Have refreshed it and still 6.

Anyone got any ideas why? And solution to it?

Hey WorldClass,

Thanks for the post(s).

There are only six pages. Maybe more later.

d-

Hmm...that's interesting because for the last few days I have been working through the thread and I had 11 pages and I worked through each of them. When I got to the 11th page I posted the above messages and then it said 6.

Cant help you WC, although I had a similar experience on a thread over on elitetrader.com a while ago. Annoyed me for ages 'cos I just couldn't work out what had happened,

Loving the charts, Des.

Well deserved praise

Des

Although I have been a member of T2W for some time, this is the first time I looked at this thread, having been alerted to it by a message on another thread.

I have just spent some of yesterday plus all of this afternoon watching your videos and I must congratulate you on some sterling work. Your teaching style, also, seems very down-to-earth and a pleasant change from the hard-sell, marketing pitch of many presenters.

It has been most interesting and useful and I hope that we will see more soon.

During the course of the thread you said you might visit the Uk in the fall or run some web-seminars. Did that ever happen ? Do you have plans to do some more ?

Charlton

WorldClass said:
Hmm...that's interesting because for the last few days I have been working through the thread and I had 11 pages and I worked through each of them. When I got to the 11th page I posted the above messages and then it said 6.

The numbe of pages you see is inversely proportional with the number of posts per page you have selected to view. I'm assuming you changed this to a greater number, possibly by accident.

Nice post. Different...

I am more inclined to trading individual equities, but the thing that I just can't get past is you can find great setups and perfect entries, but when it's all said and done, you're really at the mercy of the market as a whole when dealing with stocks. If the market would have gone against you during these trades then it is highly unlikely your trades would have been as successful or even successful at all.

How have you overcome this? You mention nothing of trading in the direction of the market, although I did notice that most of your trades at least the ones posted here, seem to have coincided with nice moves in the S&P as well, making them somewhat less impressive. Not a shot, just an observation.

RCAR1046--- Following the broad markets is "trading 101." Not a shot, just a comment. ;)

d-

Last edited:
Hey Eddie,

Actually it may be an American aphorism which deserves an explanation. Colleges here in the states teach in levels from easiest to hardest not unlike any other institutions. The first level is usually considered "101", ie, "English 101", "Science 101", and such. This is the most basic course proceeding more advanced courses in the same subject such as "Science 201", "Science 301", and so on.

For the record: In fact, I do mention the importants of following the indices (broad markets) within my videos--to set the record (very) clear. This is basic understanding for any serious trader, and any of my students know how much time I put into explaining this fundamental truth. To trade against the indexes (broad markets) is certain suicide., or at least the onset of slow hemorrhaging of one's trading account.

For one to think that I trade against the markets and still make a killing at trading is foolish. I certainly do not play those odds. I am a professional trader--not a gambler. There is a definite line distinguishing the two one from another. The tide of the markets give me the waves which I surf. Wow. That should be a stink'n T-shirt, or at least a bumper sticker. Any of you guys print? *grin*

d-

I think you took this too personally and picked only a defensive attitude toward my post. I suppose writing it "wasn't a shot" actually made you think it was...

What I was getting at was... of the majority of the trades you posted (save the huge gainers, which may or may not have been luck) I could have posted a chart from the majority of stocks within the SP 500 at that time and you would have seen a comparable move. Not all, but a majority, because that's the way the market happened to be going at that time.

So does it really come down to timing the broader market and avoiding the worst stocks? Or maybe better timing the broader market and picking the faster moving stocks? Do the setups and entries of the individual stocks matter so much?

I would like to think they do, but when trading a large group of stocks that are largely tied to one single instrument, it's hard to figure out what to focus on. It essentially becomes 75% timing the market and 25% timing the individual stock, yet most people's focus is on the 25% portion of the deal.

The trades you picked, although entered on sound concepts based on the way the individual stock was behaving, may not have been successful had the overall market make a turn during the duration of the trade. You increased the probability of the trade by entering with the trend of the overall market, but you're still at it's mercy.

This is what I have a hard time dealing with in tradnig equities tied to an index vs trading one single instrument tied only to itself. That was my intended point and was looking only for some sort of argument against, or for.

Regardless whether one is trading equities, options, or futures I stand on the belief that one must be in tune with the market's moves. To dance to a different beat puts the odds against us. I simply look at the S&P500 and ask myself, "are we in an uptrend, downtrend, sideways trend, or in a trend reversal stage?" I also ask, "are we currently in an upswing or a downswing." These questions simply tell me whether I should be long, short, or out of the markets all together. The first chart I pull up each day is the SPX (S&P500) so I can make my decision how to play the markets.

Because judging the broad market's sentiment is both so easy and fast I don't see it as an obstacle or task too hard to be a deterrent for trading equities. The index charts reads the same as any other stock chart does.

Some people (maybe like you) like the idea of simply trading Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs.) This is a great way of trading and a way to keep things simple. The simpler one keeps trading the better, in my humble opinion. The reason I do not trade ETFs is because I have become very picky to the caliber of fundamentally strong stocks that I select. The rate of return I get on stocks with solid fast growing pedigree is substantial. ETFs take this edge away from me.

Another point, if you simply stay in favor with the broad market's up and down moves you could simply throw darts at a wall full of ticker symbols to pick your stocks (and maybe options) to either buy or sell. Strong technical setups on fundamental screaming stocks, while in sync with the indices is trading power beyond belief. ........... Geez, we just created another t-shirt. ;)

d-

I need to understand more of what you just said in that post!

Is a trend the general movement of the market..and upswing, if the sign that the market is on an upwards trend at that moment..?

May I as how you would best trade indices..rather than specific stocks...

and how do I find out more about ETF's

Thanks,

Mat

Hi Everybody, After reading the above posts I think it makes sense to trade the broader market rather than individual stocks, but after saying that I also think that the method Des trades can just as easily be applied to indicies,

Eddie.

des,

You mention strong fundamentals as being critical to your analysis and picking of which stock you will invest in.

Your prior posts seem only to concentrate on technical entry criteria (although I must admit I didn't read every single post in the thread). What method do you use to fundamentally screen stocks?

Many seem to blindly use CANSLIM. What do you think of MSN's StockScouter service? They both seem to be closely related in their search criteria, although I can access StockScouter free of charge.