Free trading videos

bhp billiton

zalakinc said:
Hello: I wish i could plot this chart in my software.....but I dont have the data feed for UK. But from looking at this chart, I wouldn't go long.....Why? Because the breakout is not convincing enough. I typically look at price and volume action first,indicators later. the safest breakout(from my perception) would be when volume is greater than past few days (5-10). a word about Tweezer tops, they are not confirmed untill close below lowest close of the two last sessions. Something about the very last session- its open is the highest point of that day, which looks bearish to me. What does everyone else think?

Zalak

Well it went down today but still didn't manage to break the resistance level. That is now 4 days in a row. Would this possibly mean if it breaks one way or the other it could be quite significant? Would it be worth going short?

I have been watching the great tutorial video's (so refreshing), and seem to have formed a bullish triangle with this. As I am still new to this I might be doing it wrong.

Anyway its good to know that there are people out there who can give you a wealth of knowledge while you are learning.

much appreciated

Hey gang,

Sry for the longgg delay in getting you another video. Been traveling (Vegas and Chicago) for business (trading and mentoring.) This reminds me, T2W took my signature away. I had the word "Mentor." I think they want me to pay for that signature--not sure though.

Anyway, I just wanted to update you to what was up. I have a big trading meeting in a week that I am preparing for so give me some time.

d-

PS. I could really use some "testimonials." Drop me a line [email protected]

Hi Des,

Thanks for the continuing great video analysis, also thanks for your view on BGY, which is still doing well for me. Anyway, notice your now using 13 day moving averages on the latest videos as well as mentioning 20 day MA is still important for you. What's the reason for looking at a shorter time period on the MA....I thought the longer time was better.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. Testimonial on the way!

Hey Steve,

GREAT EYE, STEVO!!! Yes, I also have incorporated the 13 day EMA (not SMA.) The reason being is that it will serve and act just like the 20 day sma on aggressively trending stocks. For those stocks that are shooting up like the space shuttle and are too powerful to pullback to the 20 day sma they will (normally) pullback to the 13 day ema. This gives you a better idea of entry points. So add the 13 day ema to those fire hot stocks and test this out. I did and it works.

BGY.....great to hear!

d-

I recently noticed the following message on the Istarquest site

"A law firm representing Investor's Business Daily asserts that I am infringing on IBD's rights by sharing my analyses of the changes in the IBD 100. Therefore, I am suspending the posting of my analyses pending the resolution of this issue.
In the interim, you can send e-mail to me at [email protected]".

I guess all good things come to an end!

My ugly mug

Hey gang,
Sorry for the (longer than normal) delay in getting another video posted. Trading has been great and I have a lot that I want to post. I am in the mists of ramping up my online automotive brokerage company; hiring on a professional executive team to manage the growth. The time it’s demanding from me is nothing short of exhausting. More videos will come, I promise.

Just the other day I was saying to someone how nice it was to have a face to go along with a voice. It hit me, (just about as fast as I said it) I haven't posted a decent picture of me on this thread. So, here is my ugly mug. Print it out to keep mice away and burn it when you're done with it or you risk the chance of cracked walls and ruptured pipes.

d-

Attachments

• Des Woodruff - seated.jpg
    Des Woodruff - seated.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
@des44
i really like and learn much with your trading videos. Hope to hear from you soon again. I wish you much sucess with your online automotive brokerage company.

Greets,
Ineluki

NCRX - what happened?

Hi Des

Just looking through these videos and have a question as to what happened to NCRX traded back in Dec 04.

On my chart it made a high of 31.22 the fell back to 27 a few days later.

Did you get out with a profit or loss?

Do you set profit targets?

Cheers

T

Yo T,

Wow. This goes back a long ways. I had to go look at my trading journal to get this answer for you. I stopped out around $30.30 only making around 15 cents on this trade. Thank God for stop loss placements, uh?

In response to your question about "setting profit targets:" I make a technically calculated decisions of where the probability target areas are for the price of a stock. The main reason I calculate this is simply for my risk to reward ratios. If they are not in line I usually will not play them. R/R ratios are hard (to impossible) to come by on mere breakouts--especially when they have not been to these price levels before.

d-

PS. We're probably due for some new videos, uh?

Hi Des,
missed you and ur vids, hope u had good holidays looking forward to see u back on the boards again

Triplepack
p.s. I'm studying candles relentlessly, I never seriously considered them before you highlighted their use.
i recommend any body following you and ur vids to check out your book recommendationson candles.

des44 said:
Yo T,

Wow. This goes back a long ways. I had to go look at my trading journal to get this answer for you. I stopped out around $30.30 only making around 15 cents on this trade. Thank God for stop loss placements, uh?

In response to your question about "setting profit targets:" I make a technically calculated decisions of where the probability target areas are for the price of a stock. The main reason I calculate this is simply for my risk to reward ratios. If they are not in line I usually will not play them. R/R ratios are hard (to impossible) to come by on mere breakouts--especially when they have not been to these price levels before.

d-

PS. We're probably due for some new videos, uh?

Thanks Des, appreciate question related to old trade but have only started going through the thread.

Very interesting one I must say.

This has probably been asked before but could you tell us your actual average Risk/ Reward ratio and % of winners/losers?

Look forward to seeing new vids.

Cheers

T

Hey T,

I look for a risk to reward ratio of 2:1. For example, I'll look at the size of the candle I want to key off of (ideally a small doji candlestick at the bottom of a swing-low) to see if I can fit (at least) two of the same size candlesticks within the area of the initial candlesticks high and my price target (previous swing-high.) If so, that meets my requirement to enter (as far a R/R is concerned.)

Percentage of losers and winners is somewhere around 75% or higher I would guess. I can safely say I probably make money on seven to eight stocks out of ten. However not all of them make nice returns. I would not call a 30 cent gain a big winner--nonetheless, it made money oppose to lose money. With proper R/R all you have to do is win around 40% of the stocks you play, which is below breakeven (50/50) to make money trading A monkey throwing darts can do 50/50. Most people (IMHO) loose money due to poor R/R and risking more than 2% of their total trading capital. Professionals know not to put themselves in compromising risky situations. That's called gambling and we do NOT gamble.

Check out the attached viseo.

d-

Attachments

• JOYG3.wmv
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,262
:rolleyes:

Simply becoming addicted to viewing the excellent threads regularly. Rolling eye's

-- waiting for the next thread, but I think you were busy. Thought you might have abandon this thread! But its great, just keep it going.

Last edited:
How do you find stocks with good set-ups?

Hi Des,

Been watching your videos with great interest so firstly many thanks for posting them.

One question that springs to mind is how do you find these chart setups? Do you use some form of filter to find these stocks (which present these potential buying opportunties) or do you just scroll through all the stocks that you have in your watchlist/s until you visually spot those with the correct set-up/s??

The reason I ask is that I am new to breakouts, and currently use Metastock to filter stocks and would be interested if you or maybe someone else on this thread can suggest any reasonable filter criteria which I could use as a starting point to finding appropriate breakout stocks.

Many Thanks,

Chorlton

I like the using the IBD100 list from www.investors.com. If you can find a filter that will give you stocks bouncing off of the RISING 20day moving average--that would be great for pullback buys. I hope this helps.

d-

Hey guys,

I have just bought all the components for my new trading computer. Now I just have to figure out how to get this thing together. :) Without the monitors it cost me $1,600US at www.newegg.com. Thought you guys/gals would find this interesting.

*Side note: I think I am a little premature trying to use XP-Pro x64 as it will be hard to find drivers.
___________________________________________________________-

Trading Computer

Windows XP Pro (x64)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
2GB RAM (4x512DDR) PC3200 Unbuffered Dual Channel
320GB Samsung (2x160GB 7200 RPM) SATA 3.0Gb/s (for RAID 0)
eVGA 256MB GeForce 7800GT GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Antec Performance Anodized Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
Antec SmartPower 500w Power Supply
NEC DVD Burner 16x8x16x48x24
Sony CD Burner 52x32x52
Zalman 80mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with (full) Copper Heatsink
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

19” (three) View Sonic VA902b LCD (Flat panel) 8mm Refresh Rate

des44 said:
I like the using the IBD100 list from www.investors.com. If you can find a filter that will give you stocks bouncing off of the RISING 20day moving average--that would be great for pullback buys. I hope this helps.

d-

Thanks Des.....

more video?

Thanks, Des, for the great thread. I have learned a lot from these videos. Where have you been? It has been quiet in last several months. More video?

By the way, you are very handsome.