Etrade Spread Betting Site Launched.

Yes, I was a little surprised and disappointed by this after all the fuss they were making about this in the run-up. I was hoping it would be integrated into their CFD/FX/Futures platform, but it's just the same as the Capital Spreads web site. Which is OK as far as current SB standards go I guess, but I was hoping for more, like real-time charting for instance.

KenN

Seems this is a growing trend. i.e. put your own branding on a current spread betting provider. I guess they have some profit share agreement. I notice iii have done the same.

It's a pity really as I thought it would bring more competition to the spread bet markets.

totally agree on the competition - but the concept of whitelables as a business model seems to be growing in popularity. Personally I run two websites that operate like this selling mobile phones - doesnt make a killing but is a viable business given the time I put into it ..which is small.

Tuffty said:
Seems this is a growing trend. i.e. put your own branding on a current spread betting provider. I guess they have some profit share agreement. I notice iii have done the same.

It's a pity really as I thought it would bring more competition to the spread bet markets.

On the face of it, it looks like the SB niche is going in the same direction as credit cards in that the main system administrators are MAster card and Visa. Credit card facilities used to be offered solely by retail banking organisations. Other organisations then got on the bandwagon to the extent that you can obtain a credit card branded by any man and his dog (I believe the RSPCA do a card too!)

Given that the costs of setting up a SB infrastructure from scratch (IT systems, Systems maintenance bods, customer service etc etc are high) and, subsequently, time to market is also longer than using the infrastructure of an existing providor. Additionally, SB systems set up and ongoing management is almost undoubtedly viewed by e-trade's management team as being non-core. As a consequence, they wil have asked themselves:

1) How can we get a slice of this rapidly growing SB market (of which we're not yet a part)?
2) How can we extract more profit from our existing customer base?
3) How can we bring an SB product to market asap at lowest strt up cost and risk to ourselves?

So the answer lies in what they have done.

The net result of all this is that there is increased competition in the SB services providor market. However, new providors are using the IT systems of existing providors, thereby providing them (existing providors) with an additional revenue stream, and as a result no (or limited) new customer user interfaces (with innovative whistles and bells) are coming onto the market. So, unfortunately, we've just got to accept that that's the way things stand right now!

There has also been talk of consolidation in the s/betting industry itself (Weekend FT a few weeks ago). I guess a main driver for the profitability of a s/bet business is getting a constant stream of new customers through the front door. Marketing is therefore a major business driver hence the need to get some re-distribution of your product via other brands.

Anyone know if there are similar s/bet business models in the US or were they all banned after the time Livermoor was around?

who is the real payer for clients profits in this case ETRADE or CAPITALSPREADS ?