EFX Group

More EFX info.

Here is a post from Justin on 11th Sept over at Forexfactory.com:
Seems chart package is being put together:

"This is Justin with EFX. I just wanted to give you an update on our platform with MT4. As many of you know, we have been looking into the MT4 software to link it to our 100% STP/ECN execution system. We were very excited about adding the functionality of MT4 as a front end to the back end that we already know works well. First, let me make a few points about our system, and then I will give an update on the MT4 situation.

Our system operates through the MBTF platform. This platform combines the direct access system of MBTF (commonly called STP or Straight Through Processing) with the ECN technology of TDFX. To be clear, MBTF (MB Trading Futures) is the FCM. Customers of this FCM can sign up via EFX (the arm that specializes in Forex only) or MB Trading (the arm that deals in all asset classes). If we pick up MT4, it will be through the EFX arm. Let me make some distinctions.

First, there are some posts on the various boards out there that suggest that minis cannot be traded through any non-deal desk platform because the banking system doesn’t allow for minis. Let me state very clearly: THIS IS NOT THE CASE. Our relationships with the banks (and they are numerous) that provide liquidity into our system are strong enough that those banks have broken up their electronic feeds to allow our customers to interact with their liquidity at any increment. And let me stress…this ultimately could mean micro-minis as well. If you think about how this works, it isn’t a big leap. If a bank is showing $100,000 of EURUSD at a price, previously, they required that this be purchased as one block of $100,000 because it kept the number of transactions down. However, once they realized that many smaller players could still add up to the same amount and that our system was providing that sort of volume for them, they simply allowed the transactions to be broken up into smaller increments. It has worked out well for them and for our traders. Remember that unlike futures, such as the ES/SP contracts, forex is not traded as a “contract.” The idea of mini versus full is in name only. You are transacting actual cash, so the only limitation is what the entities on both sides set as a minimum.

Second, it should also be clear that our ECN falls under a different name (TDFX), but it shares many of the same owners as MB Trading. In other words, the same people, and some more, were involved in the investment of starting the ECN technology. Let me give you an example. At this time, we use TDFX exclusively as our ECN. When you trade stocks, you open an account with someone like Cybertrader or MB Trading or E-Trade. When you buy or sell a stock, it is often routed to an ECN like ARCA or ISLD. In other words, an ECN is a technology company set up to put customer orders together. The same is true here. EFX/MBTF is the actual FCM. Order routing is handled by TDFX. It has the technology to pass your orders straight to a bank without deal desk intervention at ANY increment. It also has the core technology to allow our customer orders to interact directly. TDFX, the ECN, was set up to create that technology. So if the EURUSD is 1.2685 by 1.2686, and a customer of EFX/MBTF places an order to buy the EURUSD at 1.26841 (note the fifth decimal place for a tenth of a pip), since that order is not marketable at the time (the price of the EURUSD is higher), that order is routed to the TDFX ECN to sit on its server. If the EURUSD quote moves down to 1.2684 by 1.2685 on the EFX/MBTF system, that ECN quote at 1.26841 becomes the best bid. If another customer at that point chooses to sell the EURUSD at the market, their order is routed to the ECN and hits the buyer limited at 1.26841. Both customers get that price. The spread is irrelevant. No deal desk interaction occurs.

So that gives a good overview of the concepts of EFX/MBTF, the STP technology, and the ECN technology through TDFX. To put it in one sentence, “We are a true, non-dealing desk direct access platform that accepts any order size equally into our marketplace and incorporates true customer-versus-customer ECN technology down to the tenth of a pip via the TDFX ECN, which we currently use exclusively.” Whew! What a sentence.

Now, we are in discussions to implement MT4 with our technology, as many of you know. There are stumbling blocks and issues that are being discussed to see if they can be worked through. When we have a solid answer about this, I will post it here on this forum. Needless to say, we will only utilize a software solution that does not jeopardize our execution technology in a manner that would adversely affect our client’s fills and ability to get true market executions. If we can get the square to fit into the circle, so to speak, then we will offer MT4 as a front-end option for our customers as quickly as possible. If we cannot make that happen, we have other things in mind that we will announce at the appropriate time.

Sincerely,

Justin LeBlang"EFX Group: Source -
www.forexfactory.com/forexforum/showthread.php?t=8070&highlight=efx

( you may have to register and wait for 24 hours - but it's free)

Last edited:
I can't see why so many people get upset about lack of charts. There is a free third party tool (Medved Quotetracker) which is a better charting application than most forex brokers have and you can trade from within that application.

Another thing that would be good for UK traders would be if we could have GBP accounts. Telegraphic transfers cost time and money. If we could make BACS transfers it would be so much better.

notouch said:
I can't see why so many people get upset about lack of charts. There is a free third party tool (Medved Quotetracker) which is a better charting application than most forex brokers have and you can trade from within that application.
Another thing that would be good for UK traders would be if we could have GBP accounts. Telegraphic transfers cost time and money. If we could make BACS transfers it would be so much better.

EFX does not offer backfill with QT - hence the new package referred to above. No one is upset - at least I'm not :cheesy:

mystified said:
Hi Justin

I am currently on demo with GFT.Although they have one of the best platform in the business I see big price bars when the market is volatile and when I check it with other trading platforms I see it different than GFT 's chart.I checked your website it looks very interesting and appealing.I see you allowing mini accounts do you open an account for anyone regardless of the country.The reason I am asking I tried to open account with Saxobank and they said that FSA have this specific agreement only with the EU countries so they would not allow open an account.Another question is what is your money withdrawing transferring procedure?

Hi, thanks for the questions.

GFT is a fixed spread platform, which means that they are a deal desk that trades against their customers and move their quotes against their customer orders. We are a direct access, ECN platform that puts you directly in touch with bank liquidity feeds. If you check on a charting platform like e-Signal, you can actually separate our trade data from everyone else and you will see that our data is much tighter. This is because having over a dozen large banks in our system prevents spikes. When you see spikes on a platform, it is usually due to something called “stop-hunting,” where the desk moves their quote quickly to sweep customers in and out of trades. It is not possible for us to manipulate quotes on our system because the banks provide too much liquidity.

Also, there is no real reason in the forex market to distinguish between a “mini” and “full” size account anymore. Our system recognizes 1 lot at 10,000 unit increments. If you wish to trade 100,000 units, you simply buy 10 lots. We can open accounts just about anywhere, and we can wire money out of your account at any time as soon as you close a trade.

Regards,

EFX Group - Upcoming Webinar

Hello Everyone,

Next Wednesday, October 11th, 2006 at 8pm EST I will be hosting a one hour webinar.

This complimentary webinar will introduce you to the use of the Order Entry, Preferences and Customization features provided in the EFX Navigator.

The webinar will be recorded and archived, so if your unable to attend, but would still like to view the recordings please register and a link will be sent to you the following day.

https://www.gotomeeting.com/register/501266317

Thank you for your interest in EFX Group and our revolutionary platform.

Sincerely,

Justin,

Can I be both long and short a currency cross, at the same time, using the same account? Or would I need to have two separate accounts for that?

Thanks.

fxtraderjustin said:
Hello Everyone,

Next Wednesday, October 11th, 2006 at 8pm EST I will be hosting a one hour webinar.

This complimentary webinar will introduce you to the use of the Order Entry, Preferences and Customization features provided in the EFX Navigator.

The webinar will be recorded and archived, so if your unable to attend, but would still like to view the recordings please register and a link will be sent to you the following day.

https://www.gotomeeting.com/register/501266317

Thank you for your interest in EFX Group and our revolutionary platform.

Sincerely,
Justin,

this sounds like a great idea but... a great deal of us on here are in the UK... that's 1am for us. Any chance of another one at a reasonable time for us lot.

cheers,
Martin

edu said:
Justin,

Can I be both long and short a currency cross, at the same time, using the same account? Or would I need to have two separate accounts for that?

Thanks.

Hi edu,

We do not allowing hedging in the same account. The solution is to open two accounts and link them together, so that you may easily switch back and forth between the two without having to log in and out.

Priceman said:
Justin,

this sounds like a great idea but... a great deal of us on here are in the UK... that's 1am for us. Any chance of another one at a reasonable time for us lot.

cheers,
Martin

Yes, but not sure when the next one will be. Again, these are recorded so that they may be reviewed at anytime. I suggest registering anyway, and at least you'll have the recordings sent to you.

Thank you,

EFX / Quotetracker data

Now I have my account up and running I have one small problem.

Without full data I am going to have issues with s/r if the market moves outside of the last few hours range, seeing as soon as I turn it off and then turn it back on, there is a big gap and, there is no data before I registered and opened the account.

Therefore I'm stuck with the 2 issues of backdata and the problem of needing my system on 24/7 to have full charts.

If I sign up with esignal / prophet will I always have the data I need? Seems a bit of an expense when I have it all allready with metatrader. :rolleyes:

wasp said:
Now I have my account up and running I have one small problem.

Without full data I am going to have issues with s/r if the market moves outside of the last few hours range, seeing as soon as I turn it off and then turn it back on, there is a big gap and, there is no data before I registered and opened the account.

Therefore I'm stuck with the 2 issues of backdata and the problem of needing my system on 24/7 to have full charts.

If I sign up with esignal / prophet will I always have the data I need? Seems a bit of an expense when I have it all allready with metatrader. :rolleyes:

Esignal would give you what you want. Why not just have metatrader and QT running at the same time - metatrader for long term and QT for 1 minute charts.

Looks like I will be. Not going to pay $85 per month + VAT for something I have in a different application already!

I think EFX needs to get its act together about foreign currency accounts. If you transfered £10,000 into their account you would lose about £200 on the retail exchange rate. At the very least it should have EUR, GBP and JPY account like its main competitors.

notouch said:
I think EFX needs to get its act together about foreign currency accounts. If you transfered £10,000 into their account you would lose about £200 on the retail exchange rate. At the very least it should have EUR, GBP and JPY account like its main competitors.

Hi notouch,

I agree that it would be nice for us to offer deposits in other currencies, but at this time we are not planning on doing so.

Thank you,

At the moment I think IdealPro definitely has the edge over EFX for UK traders. They have UK servers and offer GBP accounts and they are also based on the ECN/STP model.

One or two decent comments in the thread below with regards the debate between NDD & traditional broker activity.

http://www.forexfactory.com/forexforum/showthread.php?t=8046"

Had a chat with quotetracker over the weekend and as tempting as eSignal was, paying $85 per month + more for FX, IQFeed for FX alone comes in at $20 per month. Just a tad better!

wasp said:
Had a chat with quotetracker over the weekend and as tempting as eSignal was, paying $85 per month + more for FX, IQFeed for FX alone comes in at $20 per month. Just a tad better!

Did anyone trade over the NFP with EFX?

What was the widest price on eur dollar, how long did it stay wider than say 1 pip, did the platform freeze at all, did anyone here actually trade with EFX at that time or just viewing the prices?

Many thanks

wasp, if you don't like paying $85 a month for esignal, think about how much you have to pay to your/EFX's bank every time you transfer money to or from them. Their bank adds about 3% to the GBP/USD spread for currency exchange so if you deposited £10000 that would be about $500 dollars you lose and if you withdraw £2000 a month that would be a further $100 dollars a month. EFX is not a serious proposition for UK traders until this issue is sorted. Justin, have you considered allowing moneybookers.com transfers?

notouch said:
wasp, if you don't like paying $85 a month for esignal, think about how much you have to pay to your/EFX's bank every time you transfer money to or from them. Their bank adds about 3% to the GBP/USD spread for currency exchange so if you deposited £10000 that would be about $500 dollars you lose and if you withdraw £2000 a month that would be a further $100 dollars a month. EFX is not a serious proposition for UK traders until this issue is sorted. Justin, have you considered allowing moneybookers.com transfers?

Ouch! Not wired anything as yet as I have still been playing with their demo but that is certainly an issue. Not exactly an inviting proposition.