Education is the key

I accept only you can sort out your own emotions the point I was making is that some may walk away from a course believing that is all they need and then cannot understand why it is all going wrong around them when they start to trade thinking they are ready.

A good teacher will help to prepare the blow they undoubtably will have to face if this area is at least brought to the attention of novices and some examples of how they may struggle with the rules they are trying to follow. This is where the knowledge of correct thinking comes into its own because by designing a complete trading method around the individual it ultimately eradicates emotional trading and you know what you have to do at each avenue.

It is apparent that some traders have attended courses only to find themselves in problems that maybe they did not fully grasp what they were informed, or they are just not up to trading but there is the distinct possibility they were not provided with all they need or at least sent away structure that there is more to accomplish than just attending the course. Any teacher worth his or her salt will run an ongoing programme with these students until they have shown they have grasped what is needed to grasp.

There are many that do not provide this.

DaveJB said:
Kevin
yes -
... and the emotional side is for you to sort out, not (in my view) something to be taught... which does not stop people flocking to those offering courses in amateur psychology.

Racer - also agreed, but anyone who hasn't a reasonable grasp of their own character should have the sense to keep out until they do. This is a difficult enough area of endeavour without lying to yourself as you go through it.
I am very pleased you are bringing this up, because you see there are several steps that follow in a logical sequence. You cannot step out in the incorrect order. Otherwise the aspirant finds himself in a morass if he does not follow the correct order.

I am going to deal with your second paragraph first.

Many people are not fit for this profession. This is not because they are dull or stupid, far from this. It is because this profession does not take prisoners. It is not here for your benefit or mine. It is not constructed to be benevolent , forgiving, kind, or generous, it does not provide for excuses, blunders, inadvertencies, weaknesses, failings, imperfections, nor does it accomodate fudging, shirking, skyving, cheating, lying, or pretending, nor does it make any allowances for impatience, greed, impulsiveness, testosterone, looks, background, ubringing, nor does it mitigate against having the wrong character, the wrong attitude, the wrong perspective, the wrong opinion, nor does it exonerate the indolent, the dishonest, the insincere, the untruthful.

It does not make allowances for any of this at all, whereas in ordinary life there are remedies to all of these problems, trading does not offer remedies, it can only offer irrevocable punishment to those who choose or dare to transgress.

I say choose or dare and I will expand on this.

I have in other posts frequently touched on the matter of choice. This is a very important aspect to consider because in trading there is no opportunity to choose to transgress because the verdict is irrevocable. There is no appeal.

There is no possibility to dare, that is to dare to contradict, because contradiction equals failure, loss, pain, stress and anger.

In ordinary life people are able to measure themselves according to their own yardsticks, which is not a yardstick at all but a kind of slide rule effectively disguised as a yardstick.

The markets offer nothing of the sort.

To make it even worse, even though this type of activity attracts people from all walks of life, it has particular appeal to the better educated. These people who have attained academic achievement have a right to deserve a proper status in society.

But there is a strain of those who percieve themselves to be better educated who are a nuisance. They want to enter the trading domain and succeed immediately over and above the heads of everybody else as they view themselves a superior by virtue of the fact they have swotted and attained a degree or degrees.

Now what happens is that they encounter all the difficulties the same as everybody else, but persuade themselves somehow they can be exonerated from cultivating all the neccessary behavioural skills the market demands from all of us.

What ensues is that they proceed, against all warnings and mentoring, to try to carve their own way, ignoring the glaring fact that the markets are not here to be forced. Of course, as they percieve themselves to know better, they disregard all advice and then go on to make a reall mess.

They now get angry, because they cannot renconcile what is happening to them according to their own frame of reference which in reality is the inevitable they have brought down upon themselves. Now they begin a song and dance you would not believe. They try to stir up all sorts of trouble, they try to incite others to do the same, they even go to the extreme of writing silly books, they take advantage of the goodwill of the generous who are not aware of the depth of malice that resentment against achievement can generate in individuals such as these.

What is worse, is that they lie to themselves first and then to everyone else afterwards, and cause a lot of mischief but present unworthy targets for retribution, because the retribution is one they bring upon themselves, not realising this, as their heads are so full of fanciful theories that they prevent themselves from doing so.

As you so aptly say, in your second paragraph "they should have a reasonable grasp of their own character and should have the sense to keep out until they do" The problem is, that as I detail, above they are not aware, when they view through their fog of resentment against achievement, that they do not have the correct character for this in the first place.

Now the problem is, that such individuals are very artful in concealing their failings on first inspection, but as time goes by, the markets serve to sort them out. I could write a whole book about this topic, in fact I had been considering starting a thread in allegorical form which would make the most compulsive reading, I promise you, since I have all the facts, on hard copy alongside supporting irrefutable evidence. The verb "to cringe" would be an understatement if I chose to release it in a public domain such as this.

Now let me turn my attention to paragraph 1:~

The emotional side is not something that a trader can sort out easily for himself.
This is because of everything I explain in detail in my thread "The Journey from the Basement", which you will recall last year scored more than 120,000 hits. I am not going
to go over the same ground again.

It is sufficient to say that there is direct linkage between knowledge and the emotional side.

This can be taught, but the candidate has to have the correct foundation of understanding before this aspect can be dealt with in the comprehensive manner that it merits.

As is othen the case with cross border activity, psychologists do not have the appropriate grounding or the correct foundation of understanding in order to add the psychological layer effectively tailored to suit the individual.

In consequence of this you are right in viewing popular mentoring in this regard, as I quote "offering courses in amateur psychology".

The key is that aspirants have to be made to learn all of this in mechanical mode before they can aspire to learn more.

The ring that holds the key is the use of stops. Tight stops always.

The hand that holds the ring inserts the stops.

The mind that controls the hand sets them and what is more, sticks to them.

With Very Kind Regards as Usual.

Last edited:
kevin546 said:
I accept only you can sort out your own emotions the point I was making is that some may walk away from a course believing that is all they need and then cannot understand why it is all going wrong around them when they start to trade thinking they are ready.

A good teacher will help to prepare the blow they undoubtably will have to face if this area is at least brought to the attention of novices and some examples of how they may struggle with the rules they are trying to follow. This is where the knowledge of correct thinking comes into its own because by designing a complete trading method around the individual it ultimately eradicates emotional trading and you know what you have to do at each avenue.

It is apparent that some traders have attended courses only to find themselves in problems that maybe they did not fully grasp what they were informed, or they are just not up to trading but there is the distinct possibility they were not provided with all they need or at least sent away structure that there is more to accomplish than just attending the course. Any teacher worth his or her salt will run an ongoing programme with these students until they have shown they have grasped what is needed to grasp.

There are many that do not provide this.
Kevin, I agree with you. But when individuals choose not to take heed because they "know better", no amount of repetition will do it. No amount of pleading will persuade them, no warnings will be heeded. You can take a horse to water, but you cannot force it to drink.

Kind Regards.

Socrates

Are you going to start a thread!

In simple terms that is how I suspect most committed individuals weather the storm and stick with the initial apprenticeship trading training through the development of what works for them and maximising discipline around a clearly defined method that they continually develop and assess. Eventually they find they have something that works more frequently than they used to experience. It probably involves accepting that they have to stay away from some price action in the early stages of development and can take a smaller piece of the action. To move up a gear is to reach that higher level which may never happen.

Kevin,
don't tempt him <g>
Sorry Soc, I couldn't resist that... I'm quite sure that's the last thing you'd want to do.
Knowing yourself is something I consider essential for many walks of life, trading happens to be one area where it's absolutely critical to survival, we can generally survive in other areas without having to stare into the mirror, but in trading your foibles will catch you out.

I cannot shake the feeling, possibly erroneous or too harsh, that if you need somebody else to help you learn to face yourself then you may find getting the right mindset rather difficult.... I don't really understand it - when I lose I try to figure out what I did, and avoid it next time if the loss should have been avoidable - this is different from recording the necessary losses that are part of the business, you have to decide whether this was a business expense or a loss caused by error.

The point is some cannot help themselves and do not see it as a problem until it is a problem. For example how many have always stopped out of a position when the stop was reached. You only have to go back a year to all those stories about traders / investors who lost huge amounts because they could not let go.

DaveJB said:
Kevin,
don't tempt him <g>
Sorry Soc, I couldn't resist that... I'm quite sure that's the last thing you'd want to do.
Knowing yourself is something I consider essential for many walks of life, trading happens to be one area where it's absolutely critical to survival, we can generally survive in other areas without having to stare into the mirror, but in trading your foibles will catch you out.

I cannot shake the feeling, possibly erroneous or too harsh, that if you need somebody else to help you learn to face yourself then you may find getting the right mindset rather difficult.... I don't really understand it - when I lose I try to figure out what I did, and avoid it next time if the loss should have been avoidable - this is different from recording the necessary losses that are part of the business, you have to decide whether this was a business expense or a loss caused by error.
Hello Dave, that's Ok <G>.

But on the other hand, it is something I can do if I want to, just the pin to make the bubble go pop !

Now going back to seious meaningful stuff. The problem is that somehow you have managed to miss the point I am delicately trying to make, and it is this:~

The development of the correct mindset for a trader just does not embrace the concept of taking positions and operating and managing stops, it goes much further.

The whole aspect of the trading environment as percieved becomes different.

This is because the correct mindset will allow the trader to remain totally disconnected from emotion, and therefore calm, and totally impartial. This is crucial regardless of whether the trade is being placed, or the stop, or the exit and removal of stop. It embraces the whole mechanism of the trade., and the posture of the trader in an emotionally free environment, that is the ideal mental state.

The most important part is twofold: Firstly the abiltiy to remain totally disconnected and calm while the move is under scrutiny, in progress, and secondly, to remain totally disconnected and calm even under circumstances which, to someone else, that would ordinarily be stressful, or worrying, or frightening, or unpleasant, or uncertain or any other condition that would impair judgement and the ability to act, in a nanosecond, as an act of instantaneous conditional response.

This level of absolute control of self is attained only at the highest level of thinking and knowledge, and not before.

Kind Regards as Usual.

Sorry Soc,
we're a little at cross purposes here - I appreciate we're not just talking about actioning stops, placing trades, etc. The point I'm trying to make is that trading is a feedback system, and if your head is where it needs to be then you'll be making the correct response to what happens... if your head is not sorted, because you have some sort of mental baggage that prevents a truthful analysis of the latest loop, then you're doomed. (Cue evil cackle). IF there's a lesson to learn from what just happened then get on and learn it, if you make a mistake and your ego is in the way you'll find endless reasons why it was the market not doing what it 'should', and those who refuse to learn from mistakes (as the saying goes) are doomed to repeat them.

I just don't think knowing yourself is that hard.
Nitey nite all - I actually just popped back in to shut the PC down for the night... so I'd best be orf.

There are many "trainers" out there that have little experience and sucess to show, but profess to be experts and willingly take your money (as their source of income) rather than trade.

Choose your teacher/coach/mentor wisely. A good one may seem expensive at first, but the difference should be quickly paid back if you follow their advice.

SOC.

There is no possibility to dare, that is to dare to contradict, because contradiction equals failure, loss, pain, stress and anger.

I would disagree with this statement and a couple others within your reply on the following basis.

The statement is assuming a technical basis of trading, speculation, and thus in that context is true, as market risk is the over-riding risk.
However, for other styles of interaction with the market, where market risk is irrelevant, then it is very easy to capitalise on the markets errors, and thus contradict the market.

But there is a strain of those who percieve themselves to be better educated who are a nuisance. They want to enter the trading domain and succeed immediately over and above the heads of everybody else as they view themselves a superior by virtue of the fact they have swotted and attained a degree or degrees

This statement, although sweeping, and assumes rather a great deal, is probably not far from the truth. However, there are other forms of intelligence, outside of "academic intelligence". I would suggest that intelligence of some description is mandatory. Stupid people are stupid, and unfortunately they are stupid for a reason, and are thus very unlikely to ever succeed in the market, they may well encounter a run of luck, but never confuse luck with ability.

But there is a strain of those who percieve themselves to be better educated who are a nuisance. They want to enter the trading domain and succeed immediately over and above the heads of everybody else as they view themselves a superior by virtue of the fact they have swotted and attained a degree or degrees

Now what happens is that they encounter all the difficulties the same as everybody else, but persuade themselves somehow they can be exonerated from cultivating all the neccessary behavioural skills the market demands from all of us.

If this is true, and it is utilising the academic model, then they probably lacked intelligence, but possessed the ability to fulfil course and exam requirements, which is a very different beast to intelligence, or, "the ability to think"

It is sufficient to say that there is direct linkage between knowledge and the emotional side.

You would need to expand upon your definition of "knowledge" within this context. Are you referring to cognitive knowledge of the market? Or, "knowledge" of self?

The ring that holds the key is the use of stops. Tight stops always

And for the novice, this will guarantee losses. The tighter the stop, the more often will they be stopped out, taking losses, the greater their brokerage costs, and the greater their opportunity costs, all in all, this will probably destroy the novice.
For successful daytraders, it is ironically, a way to reduce loss, but this mandates a very good entry, precise comes to mind, and how many novices can do that neat little trick?

cheers d998

I have to say that SOCRATES summed it up quite well

"Many people are not fit for this profession. This is not because they are dull or stupid, far from this. It is because this profession does not take prisoners. It is not here for your benefit or mine. It is not constructed to be benevolent , forgiving, kind, or generous, it does not provide for excuses, blunders, inadvertencies, weaknesses, failings, imperfections, nor does it accomodate fudging, shirking, skyving, cheating, lying, or pretending, nor does it make any allowances for impatience, greed, impulsiveness, testosterone, looks, background, ubringing, nor does it mitigate against having the wrong character, the wrong attitude, the wrong perspective, the wrong opinion, nor does it exonerate the indolent, the dishonest, the insincere, the untruthful. "

EDUCATION CANNOT REPLACE INTELLIGENCE.

Trading is an art. Everybody can put paint on canvas, but few will be able to produce anything of value !

DaveJB said:
Sorry Soc,
we're a little at cross purposes here - I appreciate we're not just talking about actioning stops, placing trades, etc. The point I'm trying to make is that trading is a feedback system, and if your head is where it needs to be then you'll be making the correct response to what happens... if your head is not sorted, because you have some sort of mental baggage that prevents a truthful analysis of the latest loop, then you're doomed. (Cue evil cackle). IF there's a lesson to learn from what just happened then get on and learn it, if you make a mistake and your ego is in the way you'll find endless reasons why it was the market not doing what it 'should', and those who refuse to learn from mistakes (as the saying goes) are doomed to repeat them.

I just don't think knowing yourself is that hard.
Nitey nite all - I actually just popped back in to shut the PC down for the night... so I'd best be orf.
No Dave, you are talking about all this at a very basic level. At a very basic level individuals who are still at this level have to do all the mental sumersaults you describe.

At the higher levels none of this takes place, because it is not necessary.

This is because all of it is understood at once. It takes 3 seconds to read a chart and arrive at a conclusion. If it were to take you longer than this, then, with respect the viewer does not understand what is presented, cnnot recognise the clues, is not tuned, does not have sufficient knowledge, is not in posession of instantaneous conditional reflex, and OUGHT NOT TO BE TRADING. He ought to be PAPER TRADING INSTEAD.

The proof of people not knowing themselves is that the majority who are not ready persist in ignoring the obvious. If people really were able to know themselves they would ABSTAIN from real trading until they were able to fulfil all of the above, on paper, first, repeatedly.

Alll developing all of these skills take time and a lot of effort, all sorts of excuses and shortcuts are offered in an attempt to avoid what must be done.

You are very well aware of the above, pass it on, please. Perhaps if more of us repeat these things, if necessary, with increasing ferocity, perhaps the message will finally penetrate the thick skulls it needs to penetrate.

Has it landed ?

Kind Regards As Usual.

splitty said:
There are many "trainers" out there that have little experience and sucess to show, but profess to be experts and willingly take your money (as their source of income) rather than trade.

Choose your teacher/coach/mentor wisely. A good one may seem expensive at first, but the difference should be quickly paid back if you follow their advice.
Oh ! Yes ! Very good !

As this is your first post, welcome to trade to win. You are absolutely right in what you say.

You already don't miss much do you ?

The problem that aspirants face is that the very best are either unwilling, unavailable or unaffordable, or all three.

Good Luck. & Best Wishes.

pro_trader said:
I have to say that SOCRATES summed it up quite well

EDUCATION CANNOT REPLACE INTELLIGENCE.

Trading is an art. Everybody can put paint on canvas, but few will be able to produce anything of value !
I wholly agree. The problem is, as I have said before, people do not carry labels on their foreheads announcing WHAT THEY ARE REALLY LIKE. In some cases no amount of education is going to change the nature of the beast. The beast remains a beast despite
intense and repeated attempts at educating it.

I agree that at the highest level trading is an art. It is an art form. An art form is said to contain more than seven variants (Freud), but you would be surprised what a mess some individuals can make let loose with cans of paint and brushes, let alone in an arena in which the highest levels of what I describe above in my post are additionally mandatory.

Havnig said that, anyone can succeed, but they have to do this according to the frames of reference the market imposes, not the ones they think they can impose.

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.

Kind Regards.

ducati998 said:
SOC.

I would disagree with this statement and a couple others within your reply on the following basis.

The statement is assuming a technical basis of trading, speculation, and thus in that context is true, as market risk is the over-riding risk.
However, for other styles of interaction with the market, where market risk is irrelevant, then it is very easy to capitalise on the markets errors, and thus contradict the market.

This statement, although sweeping, and assumes rather a great deal, is probably not far from the truth. However, there are other forms of intelligence, outside of "academic intelligence". I would suggest that intelligence of some description is mandatory. Stupid people are stupid, and unfortunately they are stupid for a reason, and are thus very unlikely to ever succeed in the market, they may well encounter a run of luck, but never confuse luck with ability.

If this is true, and it is utilising the academic model, then they probably lacked intelligence, but possessed the ability to fulfil course and exam requirements, which is a very different beast to intelligence, or, "the ability to think"

You would need to expand upon your definition of "knowledge" within this context. Are you referring to cognitive knowledge of the market? Or, "knowledge" of self?

And for the novice, this will guarantee losses. The tighter the stop, the more often will they be stopped out, taking losses, the greater their brokerage costs, and the greater their opportunity costs, all in all, this will probably destroy the novice.
For successful daytraders, it is ironically, a way to reduce loss, but this mandates a very good entry, precise comes to mind, and how many novices can do that neat little trick?

cheers d998
Hello it is going sideways so I have a few minutes.

Please, can you explain to me more clearly how it is possible to capitalise on the markets errors and thus to contradict it ?

Knowledge :~ both of the market and of yourself.

Tight stop losses do not destroy novices. Novices destroy themselves when they derelict responsibility over placing tight stops and adhering to them.

The real mess develops when they disregard everything they are told and start to trade multiple contracts in in derivatives they do not understand, when conditions are not right,
the wrong way round, in volatile situations insisting on using very wide stops, if any.

And what is even more aggravating is that they then proceed to blame the tutor, and go on to write silly books, and set themselves up as gurus, unaware that they are holding a stick of dynamite with the fuse about to be lit, instead of a stick of candy.

Okay Soc,
I still think it's me not making my point well enough - I'm trying to describe somebody who gets in their own way, whose head isn't tuned in, who will continue to make mistakes as they refuse to accept they made any.
I'm aware that you are describing somebody who can function on automatic - that there are (essentially) no decisions to make, because what needs to be done is obvious. My apologies if I described that badly too.

I certainly will be happy to pass on the necessity to put the time in - this is my main opposition to 'training' (at least for beginners)... I think it misses out essential experience, the trainer might well pass on something of worth but the 'it came easy, I paid £750 and got it on a plate' trainee is likely to be dangerously overconfident.

Dave,
Ah, that's better, more clear.

But the individual who gets in his own way , because, not because his head is not tuned in, but because he refuses to tune it, to have it tuned for him, or to cooperate in the tuning deserves all he gets and more, as a consequence of not being able to accept.

This aspect of acceptance is twofold, acceptance of having made mistakes, then recognising them and not repeating them, and acceptance in the sense of being open minded as to what the market lays in front of him for his considerarion and additionally not being stubborn and contradictory for the sake of it and accepting the wisdom of all who have gone before, whose experience and wisdom it is foolish for all of us to ignore.

And yes, training for beginners, since you mention it......

Beginners are beginners because they have little or no knowledge and virtually no experience. Yet there are pillocks, who, regardless as to how many times they are told once they finish being taught to the level set, they have to go away and practice on paper and they have to spend time in front of a screen, just watching and observing and learning......No ! None of this, they want to get cracking straight away.

What is worse is that they get cracking too soon and crack themselves as a consequence of not heeding the warnings. Further they persist in carving their own path, (which is invairiably the wrong one) either pretending they are not doing this or, carving it despite repeated pleading not to do it.

For this reason very few are fit to be taught or mentored at all.

This makes the top trainers, unaffordable, inaccessible, unavailable, or all three. Sad, but true. I am not going to teach any beginners, you teach them if you like. I am here to help, but I refuse to do any teaching of this kind, thank you.

Last edited:
Success <g>
Yes, tuning fails due to the individual. Personally I think MOST individuals are incapable of what's needed... I've no idea why it should be so, but what I think of as logical processing of ideas seems alien to many - I think it's fair to say that I'm in the minority so it's me that's odd.... I am genuinely baffled when somebody can't see that they've made an illogical link between disparate items. ('Oh look, it's Tuesday, there'll be a flood in Mongolia then....<g>')

Back to the market then (admittedly not much of a journey - it's on the left hand screen). Watching hour after hour of intraday in RT isn't exactly entertaining, but I seem to be improving at a very gentle rate....

I can't help thinking we are making this discussion over complex.

If I can summarise how I feel in a few simple points.

* Not everyone is suitable to be a trader, in terms of temperament, skills or so on.
* For those that have the potential abilities, they need education and mentoring. There can be no question of that!
* Mastering their own emotions, understanding investor psychology and so on are a fundamental part of the educational agenda
* Follow up after training is vital, so that people don't forget what they have learnt and embed bad habits
* I disagree that paper trading is the way to do it. Yes to master the mechanics, but as emotions play a fundamental role in trading, one has to learn to trade with ones emotions, and control them. And trading with your own money is always going to make you think differently than a virtual trade ever could.
* The key its to start small, don't get greedy or cocky. There are no fast bucks, If you think of trading as a job, and expect to serve some sort of apprentership, you have the attitude to do well - if you are given the necessary, tools and support in proper edcuation programmes.

Ken