Daysummary

Trades 05-14.jpg

TSLA.jpg

DISCA.jpg

CRZO3.jpg

ROST.jpg

CTSH.jpg

BBBY.jpg

Trying to use position sizing now (risk $ 200 per trade).
Notice that the commissions get pretty high when trading +1000 shares per trade.

BBBY - Breakout failed. The resistance line did its work very well.
CTSH - Not an early range breakout, but it looked at me as a good short at the time (due the double bull trap). I may could had a better breakeven exit, but you got to draw the line somewhere.
ROST - got in too late and got out too soon, most of the times this is a good thing, but this time it didn't work out well. I really should have waited till the ema broke.
CRZO - Got a good entry and exit.
DISCA - It was near the end of the move before it reached the other side of early range. So I probably should have passed on this trade (or use another strategy) to trade this stock.
TSLA - Again not an early range breakout, but more a daily breakout. Nice and easy trade.

Hey Robocop

I appreciate your postings. Good stuff.
I've been trading opening range breakouts for over a year. I have been making 20% on my account each month using this strategy.

I trade exactly the way you do with a few modifications. Which could possibly make a huge difference to your results.

Looking forward to connection with you next week. I'm not trading Monday and Tuesday. But will be trading the opening range on Wednesday to Friday. Connect with me on Facebook I've got some videos there you would enjoy.

Cheers
Somesh
Winattrading

Glad I'm not the only one who trade this strategy ;-).
I'd like to hear about your modifications. You can send me an e-mail if you don't want to post it here.

I will not yet connect you on facebook due privacy reasons.

Hope to hear more of you.

Cheers

Hiya Robocop

Great trades and thanks for starting this thread.
Apologies for asking to connect on facebook, thats all cool.

I appreciate you trading style as its the one I am using after tarding for over 6 years, and one that I have found consistently successfull for my style. I like the fact that you dont carry on any trades after the close, which is what makes daytrading so brilliant!

I wasnt trading yesterday, but these are the trades that worked.

3 challenges that I am finding at the moment is.

1. Although I am using 4 pc's. I often enter trades late as I can only seem to get to a finite number to be sure of the trade, this reduces the profit in the trade.
2. Because I dont have enough monitors, I also dont see the trades setting up in time.
3. I am in the uk, and using spread betting. some of the stocks are not available to spreadbet, sometimes when they are, IG INDEX doesnt allow you to short a lot of stocks. Which is frustrating when a stock is setting up nicely and then you find you are prevented from trading it.

Somesh

CHK%2015th%20May%202012.jpg

MAKO%2015th%20May%202012.jpg

NEM%2015th%20May%202012.jpg

PETD%2015th%20May%202012.jpg

Last edited:
1. Although I am using 4 pc's. I often enter trades late as I can only seem
to get to a finite number to be sure of the trade, this reduces the profit in
the trade.
2. Because I dont have enough monitors, I also dont see the
trades setting up in time.
3. I am in the uk, and using spread betting. some
of the stocks are not available to spreadbet, sometimes when they are, IG INDEX doesnt
allow you to short a lot of stocks. Which is frustrating when a stock is
setting up nicely and then you find you are prevented from trading it.

Hi Somesh,

(1) Do you use 4 pc's? I use a 15" laptop and sometimes an attached second 22" screen.
I iterate thru the stocks in my scanner, until I see something that is nearby the early range. Then I look how it behaves and how it was traded earlier, before I hit the buy or sell button.

(2) I think there is no need to have lots of monitors to display all the stocks in your watchlist at the same time. A main monitor with your charting package and another one for the broker software and optionally one for the news (if you are using a news service).

(3) It's true that shorting isn't always available at IG. I have experienced this a few times too. May be the new options feature could provide some help here, but I am not familiar with that. The trades on this thread are papertraded with ProRealtime. It is a fairly good simulator, but I have to pay a subscription license to use it for intraday trading.

Due the fact that I have a dayjob, I cannot trade the US morning session very often. Sometimes I trade it on monday.

Your trades looks indeed familiar with mine. How do you do your stockpicking/selection? Do you use a news service or a scanner, or both?

Do you trade also in the afternoon session? The MAKO and PETD trades do take up a long time to develop. Do you sit at the screen all this time? I trade the afternoon session from (local time) 20:00 until 22:00. Thats long enough for me to hold my concentration.

Cheers,
Robocop

Daysummary (afternoon session)

Trades 05-16.jpg

GRPN2.jpg

Perfect entry, it's a shame that the markets are closed now.

View attachment 135650

AKAM hurt me today badly (2 times).

If anyone has suggestions if I could see that the breakout wouldn't work, then I'm all ears!

Hi Robocop

You will find that there are times during the morning that the Market tends to reverse.

Here my rules around timings..

9:30am to 10:05am - No entry (Wait for the market to settle and create the opening range)
10:05am to 10:20am - 1st Entry Time
10:20am to 10:45am - No Entry (this is a Common Reversal Time)
10:45am to 11:30am - 2nd Entry Time
11:30am to 12:30pm - Manage Trades and exit at 12:30pm Lunch Time

It take a bit of discipline, but I've found that the market reverses quite often at 10:30am.

Other reversal times are 9:55am to 10:05am... and 10:55am to 11:05am

Somesh