Duabi is Awesome !!!

If you live there it will be interesting for you to report on the effects of global recession in 2009 and 2010. Given that its at the end of the supply chain (tourism, realestate etc) its probably too early to see anything now but if things continue on the current course for the next two years it should be interesting.

surly nothing last forever but as the growth keeps getting bigger and bigger the future right now looks extremly bright, and then if you look at all the current projects which are on going like dubai land, business bay, palm islands, etc once these are completely dubai will surly pass all major metropolises on this planet, so even if growth does slow down it has allready done enought to be considered a coming mega metropolis

Suhaib

Sorry but Dubai is now bust which is why it's having to be bailed out by its neighbours. As for the world's tallest building, those plans are going to be put on ice.

Basically the future of Dubai right now looks extremely dark unless of course you want to buy a property at a 50% discount to last year's price. But even then I'd hold out for 30p on the £.

Suhaib

Sorry but Dubai is now bust which is why it's having to be bailed out by its neighbours. As for the world's tallest building, those plans are going to be put on ice.

Basically the future of Dubai right now looks extremely dark unless of course you want to buy a property at a 50% discount to last year's price. But even then I'd hold out for 30p on the £.

dude you are just talking about the credit crunch and current crisis

like is said before, dubai is much much less affected then any other place in the world.
even amecia and england are being bailed out.

i have been hearing stuff like dubai has a dark future since the last 5 years, but reality shows it gets brighter and brighter, if dubai was to go bust, it would have gone bust years ago. as for propertie prices, they are actully up from last year.
and on worlds talest building, its allready there mate, and will open by the end of this year, other then that like i said they have 4 more towers coming up which will be taller then that.

Btw, i heard that they have parts of the city that is a bit more "free". Were the sharia law doesnt apply to attract big companies. Intrest is forbidden in islam and therefore it would be really hard for westernbanks to come there unless they had sharia-free parts.

Someone know anymore about that?

just off the plane. been there for the last 10 days as my brother works out there. good for a holiday but not my scene to live there - too hectic and false. explotation of poor foreign workers. roads CRAZY, too busy, too dangerous. too hot in the Summer. also property is apparenty crashing there now, apartments on the Palm 40% discounted I heard.

brother works in construction and loads of big projects are being shelved. who knows what the future for the place is !

Btw, i heard that they have parts of the city that is a bit more "free". Were the sharia law doesnt apply to attract big companies. Intrest is forbidden in islam and therefore it would be really hard for westernbanks to come there unless they had sharia-free parts.

Someone know anymore about that?

the whole of dubai is the free part, the sharia law is in sharjah, ajman and parts of abu dhabi, the whole city of dubai was made to be free, to attract foriegn investment and tourists,

I agree with most of this as well. I got back 10 days ago from Dubai.

A nicecity but a bit hectic on the traffic side of things. My girls dad has friends
out there in the property business and we stayed with them. Most of them are
having to give up renting their own apartment to move in with each other to save money.

They were renting apartments 3 years ago for the equivalent of 10k sterling year but now they are having to pay upwards of 40k sterling per year. THey reckon that as not many flats are finished and are still under construction that this is why the rents are being pushed up.

My one gripe is the price of any alcohol. 12 quid for a 125ml glass of wine that is only half filled or about 40 pounds for a bottle of house. Paid 16 quid for a single brandy and coke in a club as well but did see Boris Becker down the other end of the bar so maybe that why it was expensive. Ha HA

If you gonna go in my opinion stop by enroute to asia for 4 days that way you can see what its like without burning too big a hole in your pocket and then do some good cheap spending in somewhere like thailand.:cheesy:

just off the plane. been there for the last 10 days as my brother works out there. good for a holiday but not my scene to live there - too hectic and false. explotation of poor foreign workers. roads CRAZY, too busy, too dangerous. too hot in the Summer. also property is apparenty crashing there now, apartments on the Palm 40% discounted I heard.

brother works in construction and loads of big projects are being shelved. who knows what the future for the place is !

Last edited:
the whole of dubai is the free part, the sharia law is in sharjah, ajman and parts of abu dhabi, the whole city of dubai was made to be free, to attract foriegn investment and tourists,

But then is it really that hard if two europeans kiss each other? I mean, they do sell beer.....if something that should be more forbidden since the coran forbidd alchool but n0t kissing........

and i belive the drug stories that bbc reported is just one out of a million.....then u can say that US is the same....in sweden there was a story about an arabic guy who was sent to guantanamo becuse the father of his girl was angry at him. Becuse the girl was swedish and her dad didnt want her daughter to be with an arab. The dad just called CIA and when the arabic guy landed in US he was arrested.

But still we dont belive that every arabic looking guy will be arrested as a terroist when they go to america, right?

As for the summer, air con is great but personally I like fresh air, not sauna air at 130 degrees.

Yes, Dubai is not a bad place for a 10 day holiday in the UK winter but to live there, many better places even if I have to pay tax.

Man seriously now. Dubai isnt that great. Where did they ever get this reputation??? Take it from someone who lived in Bahrain and Dubai for work. Shoppings great but know this, IT GETS OLD TO LIVE THERE!!!

I'm going to Dubai for the first time in the middle of the month and am looking forward to it, irrespective of your negative comments. I'll only be there for 24 hours, on a trip elsewhere for Xmas, but I think it will be interesting enough in that short time frame. As for worries about kissing in public, I live in central London and can't remember when I saw anybody other than a mother and her child do that, as showing affection publicly isn't that common here, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what all that negativity is about? Guess you have not been there either? Anyhow I'm not going to be kissing anybody, other than my relatives who live there, so I think I'll get away with that one, but what about the European custom of kissing each other on the cheeks?

I'm going to Dubai for the first time in the middle of the month and am looking forward to it, irrespective of your negative comments. I'll only be there for 24 hours, on a trip elsewhere for Xmas, but I think it will be interesting enough in that short time frame. As for worries about kissing in public, I live in central London and can't remember when I saw anybody other than a mother and her child do that, as showing affection publicly isn't that common here, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what all that negativity is about? Guess you have not been there either? Anyhow I'm not going to be kissing anybody, other than my relatives who live there, so I think I'll get away with that one, but what about the European custom of kissing each other on the cheeks?

Lucky you! haha
Hmm, i guess the european friend kiss is ok. But not for womens, if i remember right your not even suppose to sake their hands? Correct me if im wrong :)

thats nonsense. just back from Dubai and event he Arabs hold hands with their wife while wlaking in the shopping malls. - didn't see them kissing mind you so perhaps that is a step too far.

in general I felt it was a much more family orientated place than the UK, lots of Arab families wandering around the malls at the weekends. Britain is a broken country now.

dude you are just talking about the credit crunch and current crisis

like is said before, dubai is much much less affected then any other place in the world.
even amecia and england are being bailed out.

i have been hearing stuff like dubai has a dark future since the last 5 years, but reality shows it gets brighter and brighter, if dubai was to go bust, it would have gone bust years ago. as for propertie prices, they are actully up from last year.
and on worlds talest building, its allready there mate, and will open by the end of this year, other then that like i said they have 4 more towers coming up which will be taller then that.

Suhaib

Don't know whether you're a troll or just semin-retarded but how you can suggest property prices are up on the year I don't know. They're down at least 40% with many suggesting a lot of projects will lose 80%. Big boom, even bugger bust.

Has the bubble burst?

The party’s over in Dubai - Times Online

Reactions: BSD
Poppy_Seed_Buns_279959g.jpg

T2_186074g.jpg

From Times Online
February 8, 2008
Travellers who 'smuggle' poppy seeds face Dubai jail

Ginny McGrath

Britons heading to the United Arab Emirates have been warned that carrying some foodstuffs and common over-the-counter medications could warrant a four-year prison sentence.

Among the banned substances are foods containing poppy seeds; melatonin, which is taken to ease the effects of jetlag; codeine, a common ingredient in pain relief medication, and any trace of drugs such as cannabis, however small.

The warning was issued by the charity Fair Trials International, which assists people facing trials abroad, following a spate of arrests of visitors to Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

The charity's chief executive Catherine Wolthuizen said: “We even have reports of the imprisonment of a Swiss man for 'possession’ of three poppy seeds on his clothing after he ate a bread roll at Heathrow.”

CONTINUED:
Travellers who 'smuggle' poppy seeds face Dubai jail -Times Online

Just don't forget that that sand box is a hypocrisy ridden absolute dictatorship where the rule of law does not exist.

BSD: I dont see why dubai would wanna arrest brittons. They dont have any oil left and live of turism and financial services as far i know. If people stopped going to Dubai they would just be a place full of sand.

Victor, I don't think it's necessarily targeted at Brits, I think it's just a case of a bureaucracy gone wild and falling all over themselves trying to do the numbers ones bidding.

I honestly believe that Rashid Al Maktoum wants to open Dubai up to tourism to replace oil as an income stream, and I also believe that he has probably given out some sort of vague directive to curtail the use of drugs, and that it is the actual implementation that has simply gone absolutely crazy and lost all perspective wheer you not only get arrested for importing the stuff which would be understandable...

But no, it's enough to get arrested and face 4 years in prison because of naturally occurring hormones like melatonin, or because somebody had some drugs on the soles of their shoes (?!?!?!) which in all fairness has nothing to do with that person, all that shows is that that person walked somewhere where drugs were used, which in reality is pretty much everywhere, or that you face the threat of 4 years in prison just because of prescription medicine, all of that is just intolerable and cannot be in the interest of Dubai.

But as the place isn't a democracy with checks and balances I'd assume that Maktoum either isn't aware of what's going on or, being accustomed to yes sayers like every good dictator, can't see the consequences or the proper context.

That said the USA is allegedly a democracy with checks and balances yet that still doesn't prevent them having the highest proportion of its citizens of any western country incarcerated in usually pretty barbaric prisons:

"U.S. Prison Population Sets Record
Associated Press
Friday, December 1, 2006; Page A03

A record 7 million people -- one in every 32 U.S. adults -- were behind bars, on probation or on parole by the end of last year, a Justice Department report released yesterday shows.

"Misguided policies that create harsher sentences for nonviolent drug offenses are disproportionately responsible for the increasing rates of women in prisons and jails," Marc Mauer, executive director of the Sentencing Project, a Washington-based group that supports criminal justice reform, said in a statement.

From 1995 to 2003, inmates incarcerated in federal prisons for drug offenses have accounted for 49 percent of total prison population growth."

Continued:
U.S. Prison Population Sets Record - washingtonpost.com

Also see:

US Has the Most Prisoners in the World

"The United States has 5 percent of the world's population and 25 percent of the world's incarcerated population. We rank first in the world in locking up our fellow citizens," said Ethan Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance, which supports alternatives in the war on drugs.

The biggest joke or rather largest tragedy is that these examples of Big Brother Police States clearly demonstrate the counterproductive nature of such insanity.

The war on drugs in the US hasn't worked any better than the previous war against alcohol during the prohibition.

The only effect it had was making organized crime rich, while criminalizing otherwise innocent citizens, courtesy of having wasted enormous amounts of said taxpayers money.

BSD: Okey! I see your point! Well, lets hope they start realising that ppl will stop going there if they dont change! =)
Maybe we will see change in the future! =)