Dow 2007

I work in IT so its ok for me to flip back and forth between my job and this. You'll be suprised the amount of people I've met who do this and IT or are in the army !

I used to work in IT. Add another name to your list :)

Long 13315... hope it's not to late, would have prefered better price

out with +10... not taking things for granted

still prefer longs today, so might re-enter if I see a good setup

Edit: however... looking at DAX and it's current position, I fancy a short from 13330

Last edited:
Looks like head and shoulders top forming at the moment to my (relatively untrained eye). Poss retracement to 13,285 implied... We'll see... :confused:

Looks like head and shoulders top forming at the moment to my (relatively untrained eye). Poss retracement to 13,285 implied... We'll see... :confused:

Well, it looked nice, but it's failed... Still think it implies weakness

I'm just lurking and paper-trading, but also had a 20-year IT career until a few years ago, it means I also need to check the screen every few minutes even when not meant to be trading, it must be an ingrained habit!

Yes, I'm getting it all wrong. I don't want to take high risks, and I have taken some trades which in hindsight were stupid gambles. But I also need to make enough doing it to justify my time...

Hello lurker, me again...

I just have to comment on this post, I hope you do'nt mind.

I see you have been trading this market both ways....suggestion in order to stay with the edge...trade this market only One way ...thats longs...be patient and wait for the long set ups...I fancy that you will at the very worst be B E after spreads etc....with the potential to make handsome points if you catch a flyer.

As for making enough to justify time spent.....it's just not going to happen this way...to quote Socco and others....take what the market gives...it cannot be forced.

We are still in blow off phase

reg C V

I'm not sure at the mo but if I was gonna trade sthg for fast money dax looks the one since Dow isn't moving down (yet). Dax/Ftse are down 4d = normal counter trend pbk so there is potential if I'm careful :cheesy:

Good Luck

good call ! Now where?

Dealers ( those that are still upright ) should be back from Friday liquid lunches soon, to get some action back into the market

Hello lurker, me again...

I just have to comment on this post, I hope you do'nt mind.

I see you have been trading this market both ways....suggestion in order to stay with the edge...trade this market only One way ...thats longs...be patient and wait for the long set ups...I fancy that you will at the very worst be B E after spreads etc....with the potential to make handsome points if you catch a flyer.

As for making enough to justify time spent.....it's just not going to happen this way...to quote Socco and others....take what the market gives...it cannot be forced.

We are still in blow off phase

reg C V

Hi counterviolent

Thanks for your advice, and your advice earlier in the week. Yes, I did get a few longs in, but I admit I have also been taking shorts, and losing money.

I agree wholeheartedly with taking whatever the market will give, and when I deviate from that viewpoint my trades tend to suffer.

Of course I don't mind - public forum, free speech, intelligent feedback is permitted you know!

So for this instrument only, there are only two positions; long, or on the sidelines. To be fair, I've had small profits from both shorts and longs, but I've really been taken to the cleaners by rallies while short. I tried to trade the market long only, however I kept noticing dips, and thinking I could profit from them.

Something has gone wrong with my trading, and I think I am on track to at least find out what it could be. Meanwhile, until I get confirmation otherwise, I agree that the Dow is still going up, despite corrections. There have been a few nice longs to be had.

So in addition to trading this market only in the direction of the overall trend, what else do you suggest to improve my trading. Any risk management rules you think I should adhere to? Any other suggestions?

I am a little adrift here - I've always been happy to do my own research, analysis etc, but i think in this case some insight from a more experienced trader (or at least one removed enough to be objective) would be helpful here.

If you are still around, I'd like to know what you think.#

Anyway, I am flat, so no trading until next Wednesday for me (I have a lot on at the beginning of the week and can't watch the tape).

How has everyone else done on the Dow this week, and where do you all think it will be next week?

Wishing you all opportunities to take profits before EOW.

Cheers

~LL

Sorry for delay, I was in a tricky long. but it finally did what was expected...breaking clear of the clutter around 13,300....took it's time !!!

So yesterday and todays price action is typical when in a rampant market......who can go short when price action is like this ? answer....only traders with the right mindset...traders who can see both ways...the truth is...most can't see both ways and it's how most fail...gain Five small trades and go backwards on One bad trade.... therefore why try to make it more difficult than it ought to be...fighting against self and market is hard work and very tiring..

The markets can be beaten....today £901 over 5 instruments...the best being ftse and dow.

What is the significance of the highlighted areas on the charts?

cv

Attachments

• 11-05-07-ftse-cash.jpg
    11-05-07-ftse-cash.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 11-05-07-dow-cash.jpg
    11-05-07-dow-cash.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 11-05-07.jpg
    11-05-07.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
So in addition to trading this market only in the direction of the overall trend, what else do you suggest to improve my trading. Any risk management rules you think I should adhere to? Any other suggestions?

How has everyone else done on the Dow this week, and where do you all think it will be next week?

LL

I was wondering if you have any fixed rules for exiting a trade. Are your signals clear so that if you were to give them to somebody else that has no knowledge whatsoever of trading, that person would be able to exit the trade based on those rules? That's basically a check to see if you leave out any emotion that comes in when you have a small profit and prefer to take it, instead of letting it run.

I don't make any predictions, but just for fun: DOW flies above 13500 and a possibility to see 13700. If I'm right, you owe me, if I'm not you probably won't remember this post anyway :)

Have a great weekend.