Dow 2007

I'm still pretty bearish on the Dow, but a strong Business Conditions report could give it some strength to rally back to 600 or above. If Philly moves the market upwards quickly, I'll go long on that. If the market remains flat or declines, I'll stay out.

I'm bearish, but I won't sell at this price. I'd need a break of a few more support levels before I could convince myself there wouldn't be a reversal.

Best of luck all.

QuickFinger

And cover at 86 for +9. More bullish on the index now, but in case of a whipsaw or reversal I wish to lock in a profit (on a news scalp), and wait for a high probability long/short which I can then hold till nearer EOD.

Good trading all.

(net +29)

this is actually an interesting day. will post a chart in a minute.

wouldnt be surprised to see a break of the low. :eek: (edit: probably too farfetched today though)

edit: well, its broken local support, and pulled back, close and new open below support. lets see if it can make a new low today. looks tough.

but nice for a swinger

Attachments

• diamond 2.gif
    diamond 2.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Summary of YMU7 Trading, 21 June 2007

13561 stoploss 50. Target 80.

Whoops. Wrong again. Covered at 49 for -12. Turns out I was stopped out at the bottom. Normally I'd be partial to a reentry on that price, and I think the index is bullish now (and tick supports that), except I have a rule I won't break.

On the first loss after the daily target is hit, stop trading.

So, that is me finished for the day. Firewalker, since 48 was hit I'd expect you were also stopped out at the worst price for -20 (since your stop was 50 from 70).

So, in summary:

Net P/L: 17 pips, £17
Trades: 5
Wins: 3
Losses:2
Win %: 60
Average Win: 11
Average Loss: 8.5 (not too good there)

Overall, a good day.

Points to note:

1. Pretty flawless execution on entries and exits - no hesitations, wishings, etc.
  2. Stuck to predetermined mental stops and got fairly good executions on those
  3. Used my plan for all trades bar one (the news announcement, which is my backup plan which only applies for news)
  4. Traded my plan even when I was considering early profit taking.
  5. Mostly emotion free trading

Quick roundup of the trades:

Trade One:

Large open profit, but moved my SL to BE and tried to hold it. Covered for +7 net after my entry rule was violated. Good trading. (perhaps a little obtuse with not taking an earlier exit signal, but my plan didn't say to do so).

In summary, mediocre plan, flawless execution of the "could do better" plan. (over ambitious target)

Trade Two:

Out for +18, followed my plan to the letter. Not much to say.

Trade Three:

Stopped out as soon as my entry condition was violated for just the spread. Clear enough signal, but sometimes the system doesn't work and under those circumstances one does best to, as Douglas would say, execute the loss on the perception that it exists. -5.

Trade Four:

News trade, deviates from my usual plan. Used plan for trading news. +9. Closed the trade quickly, conscious that it was a scalp on following an extreme short term trade, not a position trade.

Trade Five:

Just plain called this one wrong. I've been bearish all day, and the failure to make a new high after the Philly announcement should have stopped me from taking longs without better confirmation. Support at 60 and a small tick div (time to break out the ruler) wasn't the best entry in the world.

Again, I executed the loss for -12 immediately on the perception that I was wrong. This was done mechanically and without emotion. I traded the plan once again.

This is be copied to my journal, as it concerns my trading development as well as the Dow.

Comments appreciated.

firewalker - sorry about the -20, I hope you still end the day up, or in compliance with your own rules and plan (or preferably both).

Have a good evening all.

You were out for -20 at 50? Any new position, or are you waiting in the wings?

How has everyone done today so far, and who is finished?

yeah unfortunately... I already changed my stop to something wider, but I guess it was just not wide enough. A pity there, I'm net 0 now for the day as I did scalp 20 points around the open but I don't count that as "decent" trades.

this is actually an interesting day. will post a chart in a minute.

wouldnt be surprised to see a break of the low. :eek: (edit: probably too farfetched today though)

edit: well, its broken local support, and pulled back, close and new open below support. lets see if it can make a new low today. looks tough.

but nice for a swinger

guess not. :eek:

guess not. :eek:

My bias is definitely to the long side... I had three longs, two scalps (+10), one trade that got stopped out by 2 points :(

Otherwise, my target would've been hit right now with +40...

Or how small numbers, make big difference!

My bias is definitely to the long side... I had three longs, two scalps (+10), one trade that got stopped out by 2 points :(

Otherwise, my target would've been hit right now with +40...

Or how small numbers, make big difference!

it is actually an interesting chart. may put something on you r exit of a trade thread. and called, the exit of a loss. lol

Where next?

Only one trade for me today based on new chart settings, long from 13452, all criteria fitted in extremely week, looking to see whether we can crack 13560, if so will be looking to go to 13600, will close when/if break my moving trendline

New system, (refined) worked a treat, out on breach of target trend line at 535,for +83, no stress, no scalping, like it. Suits my prefered style of trading, no more than 2/3/ trades a day.

yeah unfortunately... I already changed my stop to something wider, but I guess it was just not wide enough. A pity there, I'm net 0 now for the day as I did scalp 20 points around the open but I don't count that as "decent" trades.

I'm sorry to hear that, since we both seemed to pick a long at pretty close to the low of the evening session. You were stopped out for 20 at the same level I was stopped out for 12 (11 with slippage of 1). I stopped trading at that point due to my own rules, but had that been for example a first trade I would have gone back in. Pretty disappointing given the great rally before the close. Sometimes I think we count our pips left on the table more than the pips we bag. If nothing else, at least we are still calling direction correctly for the most part - that is a consolation despite not making more pips.

Surprised you got a bank account big enough for all your winnings FW ?
( just kidding )

do you see support at 460 and resistance 490 ish ?