Dow 2006

Hook Shot said:
Well done Rav - I knew you'd find a way to win - now don't blow it ........ you can afford to wait now for the big move whenever it comes. Although somehow I don't think you will - just a wild guess!

Great News Rav

HS

Thanks mate,
After one week of stress, I feel much better and as far as blowing the money ..now would I ??? :cheesy:

I am now waiting to get a definite signal from the dow and then wil poke my head in for some scalps here and there other wise ........I am happy with cable and Yen opps...( Although there has been one small range on cable today, It can only lead to a big trade .......

Happy Trading Rav.....

Bernanke Says

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) 04/10/06.
There is a "substantial correction" underway in the housing sector that is slowing the entire economy, said Fed chief Ben Bernanke on Wednesday. "I think I would estimate that slowing housing construction will probably take about a percentage point off growth in the second half of the year and probably something going into next year as well," Bernanke said. It was "difficult to tell" how long the slump in construction would last, he said, because both buyers and sellers have moved to the sidelines. There are "some strong fundamental underpinnings" for the housing market including continued low mortgage rates. The Fed is watching carefully to see whether the housing weakness spills over into other sectors. "To this point, other parts of the economy are remaining relatively strong," he said. Bernanke said the Fed remains concerned about inflation, but said it should continue to slow gradually.

What's going on ?!! DOW is on the rampage today!

Putting in more short positions...

My thoughts exactly - knocking on the 900 point on the Dec fut, which by coincidence is just past the 834 reversal point.

Oh the pleasures of being a trader and not an investor!

No short positions until I see the change...
Out of all long positions exept for scalps...........

Tried a short early today, it failed miserably! It was I that provided the impetus for it to push on past 800!!!!
Have a good evening folks.
Chris

What a wonderful day - its so easy when you know how and your head is in the right gear.
I haven't had so much fun since ....... well modesty forbids - but yes this thing IS better than XXX - ..... almost!

I'm Long with a trailing stop so I don't care how high it goes....... the way I feel I'll probably trade Asia, Europe and then US once more. Awesome!

All the best for tomorrow everyone.

Hook Shot

dc2000 said:
did someone want a spike?
I think that many shorts were skewered on one today !

It's amazing - I've been moving my short entry order positions higher at the market close for several days now and I'm still sitting on the sidelines ! Forget the 'Goldilocks' economy, we're in the Cinderella economy and it's getting closer to midnight !

Is this silly season or just amature hour. The trend is your friend, Don't try to pick tops or bottoms, haven't we all heard these analogies before, well then what are people doing shorting a rising market. I will short when the market tells me to short. not when I think its reached the top. :eek:

Three 360 cycles from the July bottom is 11960. That should be a good place to short for those who just need to do it the hard way...

sc

Blue Chips Rally
Bob Carver
Wednesday, October 04, 2006

There were too many bears on the same side of the stock market boat and they got wet again. The Dow tacked on another 123 points to their record close from Tuesday, leaving the average at 11,850, with 12,000 certainly looking doable.

What's behind the rally in the blue chips?

Well, one factor is the bond market rally. Since late June, bonds have been rallying, pulling interest rates down and reviving the moribund mortgage market. Stock investors are not worried about a recession next year due to falling energy costs, falling interest rates and falling commodity prices keeping the Fed on hold.

Although those are the reasons generally given for the rally, there are some who claim the Bush Administration is pumping the stock market to engender confidence among investors whose expectations in the Republicans in Washington has been, well, shall we say disillusioned in recent times. We don't know the truth. All we know is the charts suggest this rally is part of the trend. Our chart suggest there could be more to come. But, they also say a sea change is coming this month and next that could be quite stressful to investors in the stock and bond markets.

It's amazing - I've been moving my short entry order positions higher at the market close for several days now and I'm still sitting on the sidelines ! Forget the 'Goldilocks' economy, we're in the Cinderella economy and it's getting closer to midnight !

Ive been buying all week waiting for a profit take and turn this will come today ideally I would like 870 premarket rather than fill on a spike. I will look for profit off the short early tomorrow and wait for another entry. Now for the interesting bit if this plays out as expected it points to Monday! another one???

One more push Mr Scott
I just can't do it captain
She's gonna blow
Very well Mr Scott prepare to evacuate the ship
If she blows captain the only thing I'll evacuate is me trouses

Rate Hikes May Not Be Over !

Fed's Plosser says U.S. rates may not be high enough
Thursday October 5, 12:28 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. interest rates may not be high enough to quell a recent bout of inflation, Philadelphia Federal Reserve President Charles Plosser said on Thursday. In a speech peppered with stern anti-inflation warnings, Plosser said the U.S. central bank's very credibility was at stake when it came to keeping prices under control.

"There remains some risk that policy is not yet firm enough to ensure a return to price stability over a reasonable time horizon," Plosser said in prepared remarks to be delivered in Philadelphia. "We need to remain vigilant and recognize that maintaining the current stance of policy, or even firming further, may be in the best interests of the economy's long-run performance," he said.

The Fed raised rates by over 4 percentage points beginning in June 2004, but paused in August this year to assess the effects of its tightening of monetary policy on the economy.

Looking at my data for the DOW and S&P, they're both top heavy [the DOW more so], but past records also indicate that there's still a small chance of one more days rise before a dip south. Even so, the markets are a fickle bunch and with President Charles Plosser comments added to the fray the southern dip seems more likely for tomorrow rather then Monday. Lets see.

Good trading to all.

UK

Racer said:
Okay bears, enough of this long hibernating sleep, time to wake up soon ;)
You still wake up sometimes, don't you? Wake up in the dark, with the
bears screaming?

Do you think if you shorted the Dow, you could make them stop...? Do
you think, if shorts live, you won't wake up in the dark, ever
again, to the screaming of the bears? Do you...?

roguetrader said:
You still wake up sometimes, don't you? Wake up in the dark, with the
bears screaming?

Do you think if you shorted the Dow, you could make them stop...? Do
you think, if shorts live, you won't wake up in the dark, ever
again, to the screaming of the bears? Do you...?

that guy gives me the horn.

Stocks are trading at high multiples of earnings and at a time when earnings are also at record levels. How much higher could they go and if you did buy at this level, could the reward really be worth the risk? Ultimately, don't stocks depend on the economy? Dear reader, we give you the short answer: Stocks are not a good investment. Not at these prices. That doesn't mean they won't go up any more. Nor does it mean that some stocks, well chosen, won't make you good money. It just means that it is unwise for you to follow them. There's more downside to worry about than upside to hope for. Take this little boost as a gift from the gods; sell the market on rallies.

Having said this, we return to our confession. It is true, we did not expect the market to hold up as long as it has. Our error was one of over-estimating the good sense of our fellow man. He is a bigger blockhead than we ever thought. Given the lure of easy credit, interest-only house payments, and "stated income" lending - he took the bait greedily. Now, he's on the line for more money than any man in history...with no greater income than he had before to pay it off. How much pain remains to be seen, but even Ben Bernanke now admits that US housing has begun a "substantial correction". In New York, for instance, the number of apartments for sale has reached a level not seen in 15 years. This year, prices dropped 2.2% from the 2nd quarter to the 3rd quarter. And at the high end, sales have collapsed 40% from a year ago.

Meanwhile, US homeowners will soon begin to show signs of cracking. About 20% of all homeowners in the US are going to face higher payments in the next 2-3 years as their complicated contracts start kicking in. In Washington, US, for example, interest-only loans account for 28% of house payments, while sub-prime loans make up a similar amount. Roughly the same holds true also in Florida. In California, the interest-only loans are even higher, at a shocking 39%. And on the sell side of things, the numbers are also ominous. Brokers and builders are beginning to hurt. According to a CNN Money article, during the housing boom's zenith between 2002 to 2004, membership in the US National Association of Realtors (NAR) rose 26% so that there are now over 1.2 million realtors on record in the world's largest economy. But with sales predicted to fall 7.6% in 2006, the flood of agents is drying up. The article quotes Gayle Henderson, a REMAX agent in Phoenix: "Our realtor population had swelled to over 70,000 in a population of 3.6 million. Now people are talking about getting another job or leaving the business altogether."

Meanwhile, at leading homebuilders in the US, the CEOs have jumped ship. Matt Krantz writes in USA Today: "Bruce Karatz, CEO of KB Home (KBH), sold 950,000 shares worth $76.1 million July 12-13 in 2005. After the sales, he still owned 1,668,070 shares. In a June 2005 press release, Karatz also was upbeat, saying, 'Consumer demand...remains vibrant, fuelling strong growth in unit deliveries and selling prices.' Results were strong in fiscal 2005, ended in November, when net income jumped 75% to $842.4 million on 34% higher revenue. But KB also has seen a shift since then. On Sept. 21, the company reported a 53% decrease in fiscal third-quarter home orders in the USA. 'Conditions in formerly strong markets...have weakened considerably in recent months," Karatz said in an accompanying press release. KB declined comment.

"Robert Toll, CEO of Toll Bros. (TOL), sold $110.1 million of stock in February 2005 and reaped $134.1 million more through four sales by July 2005. Toll also didn't seem overly worried at the time. The company's profit jumped 135% to $170.1 million in the quarter ended April 30, 2005. But results began to flag a year later. Net income fell 19% during the quarter ended July 31, 2006, from the same period in 2005, to $174.6 million."

How long can US housing and US stocks go in different directions, following different rules as though they breathed different air and ate different bread? Not long, we suspect. If houses are already beginning to climb down from the clouds then stocks can't be far behind.

Bill Bonner: 05/10/06