Donderdag 13 juli 2006..

Well well,

Trust I adopted your sense of humor in similar manor by inviting you to learn a bit of Dutch and mind you it is not as much the quantity that counts far more relevant is the quality. As the most famous Dutch football player (later successful coach) used to say: every disadvantage has an advantage; meaning the Dutch being small in number and size of country are used to adopting to different circumstances and environments to make it in the world.

Where to start and where to end seems to be some what of a challenge. The layered type of thinking in the Elliott approach was one that I have found also in the other techniques and especially Mr. Gann urges in quite some of his writings to use different timeframes in finding resistant and support levels. The approach comes back again in cycle analysis where I have read some of Ehlers work but focus more on the Gann and fi Benner approach for the long time views where as the more short term timeframes the Stochastics findings by Mr George Lane got my attention. To get a bit more grip on using the “old” indicators in a modern way you might pick up a book from C. Brown with the title Technical Analysis for the trading professional although the author does not reveal the trading secrets it is a kind of eye opener and might be seen as encouragement to go to a next level.

An example of the predictive signals within the RSI was demonstrated last week on the hourly graph of the AEX. The next is currently building up but has not occurred yet and therefore could not be confirmed either, you can find an introduction on Reversal signals in the above mentioned book. Also the author gave me a comfortable feeling since I received confirmation that the route I was walking has made someone else extremely successful in trading different markets.

Since I started reading Elliott before Gann and even use software to identify and qualify wave counts and structure my finding are that Elliott works better on the longer timeframes than the short periods. In this respect the Gann Fans work extremely well on the short and intraday chart and provide an excellent trading system with exits and targets. And here is a catch since the problem of correct scaling has not been covered by anyone I have read on the subject so I find myself today in the trail and error process needing the other stuff (like Elliott, predictive “old” indicators, Astro and Cycle) to overcome the challenge of getting lost in a load of lines and crossings.

It is primarily the suggestive writings about Gann never giving away his secret and a general believe that it must have been Astro that got me interested only a few months back. So in line with his geometrics I started on the Astronomy side since there are parallel issues involved. I took the straight forward approach by building a database with aspects and crossed them with AEX index data just to see what happened in the past at the very same Astro event. Currently we have Mercurius in Retrograde and I have seen in previous identical situations that TA does not quite work as expected to work in 99% of the cases.
The astrology approach seems not as steady like a rock to me since I have read some writings of G. Bayer including his translations from commodities to stock and indices. It was exactly that issue that made me start with the astronomy. Somewhere in the pile of writings there is also something by Louise McWhirter and if she has overcome my objective (one calls it Natal charts I think) I have to dig that stuff up.

Time for a drink it is a close call but it looks like the Gann price objective will not be met just now and the Reversal signal also not... so...

Proost en fijn weekeinde.

My goodness, Bayer as well. :LOL: "Expert Trader" really hooked me and had me physically constructing Polish Ellipses all over the place. There is a certain sense of genuine research in doing something with charts which has not been thought of by the s/w packagers.

Yes, McWirter's natal charts are an interesting concept, but she doesn't go where she needs to with them. But a good starting point for further research. Inconclusive and as I said, with the NYSE it gives an indication of being on the right track - but not tradeable at this point in time.

The entire thing with retrogrades is only an issue with a Geocentric model. I've looked at Heliocentric, but none of the old masters' works ever seem to consider that as a valid perspective. I do.

Thanks for the tip on Constance Brown's book. I'll take a look.

Correct Scaling? From my basic understanding, each market has its own scale. Take the difference between top-to-top (for down trending) or bottom-to-bottom (for up trending) and divide by the time taken. I'm sure you're already using this, but perhaps this isn't yielding sufficient accuracy?

Have a good one yourself. Mine doesn't start for another 4 hours....