Do you actually like trading?

Do you enjoy trading?

• Love it!

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Hate it; never ceases to frustrate or annoy.

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
Wouldn't be boring if I tried flying one. Bring extra underwear though.

Peter

Piloting any aircraft is often characterized as hours of boredom punctuated by moments of terror. Yet it's still an adrenalin rush, just like pocketing profits.

Last edited:
I've never flown a jet fighter, perhaps it's boring?!?!??!

I used to own and run a software company. Not a big one but you know, it did ok. During that particular voyage of discovery and whilst growing it, I figured out fairly quickly that getting a board and a chairman would lend itself to larger amounts of investment for equity at less obscene rates/equity dilution.

So I had met this guy who was the grandson of the founder of an incredibly huge, worldwide arms/comms/power/electrical/electronics/high-tech company in a previous life and done somework for him in a different capacity. Eton educated and an ex-harrier pilot, he was very well connected and very charming. I'd always wanted to ask him about his days as a pilot but because we kept our relationship pretty professional, I would not ask the obvious because I didn't want to sound like a 12 year old boy.

He had a 'little' croft up in scotland he would regularly visit. He'd been up there for a couple of weeks and I needed to meet and talk to him so he said he'd come back to see me. When I met up with him and we'd finished seeing whoever we were seeing, we were walking down Upper St in Islington and I just couldn't resist it:

"You got back quick - did you fly?"
"No I drove back"
"Why wouldn't you fly - surely it would be a lot quicker wouldn't it"
"Nah, I couldn't fly a little plane"

He then held a pretend joystick and made a raspberry sound to signify the cr@pness of flying a light aircraft by comparisson.

"So what was it like flying a Harrier?"

He basically turned into a 12 year old boy enthusing just how fantastic it was to do and that really nothing else in his life prior to that or probably for the rest of his life would be anywhere near as interesting and exciting as flying a jet.

So it's second hand knowledge but apparently, it is not boring, especially if you're trained as a combat pilot.

Actually, along a similar line, it seems that many performers have trouble sleeping. Presley used to take pills, as did Jackson. Even Tiger is a bit of an insomniac.

My guess is that after a show, or winning a tournament, the adrenaline/endorphins are flowing and sleep becomes difficult. According to a recent article in the Daily Mail about Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner, "both *distrusted sleep, fearing it as death’s mirror".

It must be difficult coming down from that when life becomes more normal.. it's no wonder half of them end up abusing drugs.

You've hit the nail on the head. He was looking for something and he couldn't find it. This was especially compounded because he was old(ish) money so business was a hobby rather than anything he really needed or craved to do. He was a very calm individual but christ he had a bad temper when it went.

Actually, along a similar line, it seems that many performers have trouble sleeping. Presley used to take pills, as did Jackson. Even Tiger is a bit of an insomniac.

Sleep just interferes with fun stuff I like to do, like trade and post on this forum. Unless I have a meeting or am taking a class, I sleep only when tired and work the rest of the time. Makes for an interesting married life, but she is used to it after nearly half a century.

nearly 1/2 century of marriage? Congrats you both of you. What a rare thing these days! Trading is nothing compared to what life throws at you.

Peter

nearly 1/2 century of marriage? Congrats you both of you. What a rare thing these days! Trading is nothing compared to what life throws at you.

Peter

When asked how we managed to stay married so long, I answer tongue-in-cheek, "We both fear learning how to date again." :D

oh trading is great fun. The best is finding a decent, chart waiting for the setup, then just watching the p/l go up and up. However, when it goes the other way its horrible, its just a game anyway :)

I've never flown a jet fighter, perhaps it's boring?!?!??!

It's not boring but perhaps routine most of the time. Funnily however, it often becomes a whole lot less boring/routine when you start to think it is boring (ie complacency sets in & you think you can bend or ignore or know better than the rules) and things start to go wrong, perhaps even of their own accord. There's a parallel here with trading.

The most exciting thing about trading is clicking that close button when it's all turned out nice.

It's not boring but perhaps routine most of the time. Funnily however, it often becomes a whole lot less boring/routine when you start to think it is boring (ie complacency sets in & you think you can bend or ignore or know better than the rules) and things start to go wrong, perhaps even of their own accord. There's a parallel here with trading.

The most exciting thing about trading is clicking that close button when it's all turned out nice.

When the book I wrote, subtitled "All I Know About Trading, I Learned in Flight School" is published I'll send you a copy. From what you said, I think you will enjoy it.

Flying a fighter jet plane may not be as exciting. I've heard somewhere that day trading is the most stressful job, second to bomb deactivation.

When the book I wrote, subtitled "All I Know About Trading, I Learned in Flight School" is published I'll send you a copy. From what you said, I think you will enjoy it.

Thank you - that's very generous. I must admit that I Googled your book but was unable to find it - now I know why.

There are uncanny parallels between flying and trading: one of the most sobering is that no matter how clever you are in academic terms, it is no guarantee of success in either.

Thank you - that's very generous. I must admit that I Googled your book but was unable to find it - now I know why.

There are uncanny parallels between flying and trading: one of the most sobering is that no matter how clever you are in academic terms, it is no guarantee of success in either.

I would add that failure in flight might be a bit more dangerous than failure in a trade.

Peter

I would add that failure in flight might be a bit more dangerous than failure in a trade.

Peter

Ha! Yes. That's why I always feel uneasy in a passenger aircraft. But at least in trading & a miltary fastjet you can choose your own stop. :LOL:

its all about balance, if you sit a t a desk for 9 hours for fear of missing a set up then yes it can be boring/stressful, try trading the first or last couple of hours only instead and you may find that you look forward to the next session.

As for missing set ups, thats always going to happen anyway when your out, sleeping or away from the screen for whatever reason.

Well i guess trading will have to do as my chances of becoming a pilot are gone unless i pay for the training myself.

At least trading lets me be the boss instead of some german guy at ze office!

Now if only i can earn some money out of it! That is the only thing the day job has going for it!