Diary of a swing spread better

Missing the boat

As I only decided to come back to the market less than two weeks ago, I missed the boat on LSE.

FT's Lex column says "For the LSE to be worth its current multiple of 15 times capital employed, competitors will have to be asleep and its customers milked, in perpetuity."

Can you see anyone with this type of reasoning in the chart?!

Update:

Macquarie signals end to LSE bid

The LSE appears to have fought off Macquarie's hostile bid
Australia's Macquarie Bank has all but ditched its faltering takeover bid for the London Stock Exchange after failing to win enough support for the move.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4733098.stm

Attachments

• LSE.jpg
    LSE.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Rank

I don't know where RNK is going to go next. But I added it to my watch list any way. The chart may create an illusion that it can't fall any further but you may as well short it and sit on a gain of 100 points times your stake soon enough. Who knows.

Attachments

• rank.jpg
    rank.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 306
Banking stocks

Barclays and Lloyds TSB will be reporting their profits in the coming week. The pre-tax figures for them, according to the FT are expected to be 5,2 and 3,35 billion respectively.

Next will be HSBC's turn with the expected profit of 11,6 billion.

Both BARC and LLOY's charts look bullish. The one for HSBC looks a bit odd though.

I would appreciate if anyone can share their opinions on these three.

Thanks,

Hung

Attachments

• lloyds.jpg
    lloyds.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 299
  • barclays.jpg
    barclays.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 268
  • hsbc.jpg
    hsbc.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 258
Morning Hung,
Do you have multi thread personality? The moderators will close you down for taking up too much virtual memory! Keep up the good work and nice analysis!
Regards
Marvin

Baruch said:

I, tentatively ,agree but am not sure, in my case, who's fault it is as I have a serious memory problem ( at least, my computer has ;)).Looks as if I may have to get a new one. If there is a shortage of memory Java can be an sob on any site, perhaps that's his problem, too.

I live abroad so I am not keen on going through all the work involved to change to another dealer. As long as I am the only one losing my money, I'll stay with them.

Seriously, I don't advise day trading with spread betting firms. I trade London shares overnight
and have no serious complaints.

Split

hungvir said:
By the way, I am a bargain hunter and I am more interested in losers. Gainers are all yours if you want them :)

They say that confessions are good for the soul, so here's one.

You are probably cursing that you were not short of DMGT last Thursday (or were you? )
I had a swinging time with that one but the cable broke. Trying to pick myself up this morning.

Split

MarvinS said:
Morning Hung,
Do you have multi thread personality? The moderators will close you down for taking up too much virtual memory! Keep up the good work and nice analysis!
Regards
Marvin

Hi Marvin,

I hope they will be nice to me and let me have a bit of a space, at least for a while :)

Splitlink said:
They say that confessions are good for the soul, so here's one.

You are probably cursing that you were not short of DMGT last Thursday (or were you? )
I had a swinging time with that one but the cable broke. Trying to pick myself up this morning.

Split

Hi Split,

I were on holiday last Thursday, so I 'missed' that one. I might not have spotted the chance anyway. At the moment, I totally rely on ADVFN for data and I won't be an early bird. But I am willing to pick up any sizeable party 'left-over' :)

What do you mean 'the cable broke'?!

Have a good day where you are!

Hung

hungvir said:
Hi Split,

What do you mean 'the cable broke'?!

Hung

I was long and it dropped 80 points overnight.

You may commiserate but don't worry I wasn't too badly hurt, except for pride :eek:

Split

Long Caledonia Investments

I went long CLDN this morning with CMC at 1929 with stop loss at 1889, the nearest they allowed. My March contract will be rolled on if I don't close it by March 14.

I had wanted a stop at around 1896-1897 but they want me to lose at least 40 pounds plus the 20 points plus spread if I do lose. Nice one! I may never trade a non FTSE 100 again.

CMC's quote was 1905-1929 with the bid slightly better than Worldspreads. Well, 6 points to be exact.

And now I agree with someone's comment that some CMC staff could not care less about taking care of customers. One person at the helpdesk talked to me in a voice that told me he's a bored employee and is looking for another job. But then he still did what I told him to do. Just.

Good trading,

Hung

Splitlink said:
I, tentatively ,agree but am not sure, in my case, who's fault it is as I have a serious memory problem ( at least, my computer has ;)).Looks as if I may have to get a new one. If there is a shortage of memory Java can be an sob on any site, perhaps that's his problem, too.

Split

I closed a trade this morning with Fins. Start to finish 65 seconds. Slow, I agree, but it is partly my computer's fault.

Split

mornin' hung,

well, friday's bearish candle set the pace for vod this morning but 122 has held so far......................

good trading

jon

Splitlink said:
I closed a trade this morning with Fins. Start to finish 65 seconds. Slow, I agree, but it is partly my computer's fault.

Split

If you take 65 times infinity you'll get close to how long I had to wait last Friday. They lost at least one trade.

You are not in Vietnam by any chance, Split :)

barjon said:
mornin' hung,

well, friday's bearish candle set the pace for vod this morning but 122 has held so far......................

good trading

jon

Morning Jon,

Thanks for sharing this. I am just watching it at the moment. No decision yet.

best,

Hung

Splitlink said:
I was long and it dropped 80 points overnight.

You may commiserate but don't worry I wasn't too badly hurt, except for pride :eek:

Split

I share your pain. I hope your stake was small enough. What about your stop loss?!

hungvir said:
If IMT goes down on Monday, I stand ready to place an up bet whenever it makes a higher next. Stop loss is just under the new low.

IMT is going down further this morning. I may find a larger bargain here.

hungvir said:
If you take 65 times infinity you'll get close to how long I had to wait last Friday. They lost at least one trade.

You are not in Vietnam by any chance, Split :)

I've been to Saigon and Haiphong. Were you born then? The French were there. Tankers, 1953-1961. Mooochas problemas!

Now I'm in Spain.

Split

Splitlink said:
I've been to Saigon and Haiphong. Were you born then? The French were there. Tankers, 1953-1961. Mooochas problemas!

Now I'm in Spain.

Split

My friends went to Tennerife ( I hope I spell it right, though 'hope is a sign of error' :) ) over Xmas and they really enjoyed it.

I was born in Vietnam three years before the Vietnam war ended. Just moved to London in 2000 when I got my current job.

I've only been to Saigon twice myself. I like the all year round hot weather except when it's too hot. People in VN are joking that Ho Chi Minh used to say 'Saigon is the only place in Vietnam where you can have fun.' May be he did say that.

Good talking to you.

Later,

Hung